Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who would you rather owned the Redskins?

JC2MOSS

Beer prices in fedex = 8.50

Beer prices in Every other stadium in every other sport = 8.00

Oh my god! the difference! highway robbery!

Please, if you want to drink, get drunk before the game, not at the game.

Or just don't drink at all. Theres no reason you can't have a great time without drinking.

And why? Give me one example of an owner of a team in the NFL that has done a better job than Dan Snyder.

Other than maybe Bob Kraft, I just dont see an owner that has an awesome record. I see Tom Brady making Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick look pretty smart.

You answered the question for me. Bob Kraft maybe, he certainly has the rings to show for it. I like the fact that DS is not cheap and as much as he rakes in from us fans he does not mind spending it back in the players. It has not worked... yet. But I like the fact he is trying to make the team better and hopefully learning from his mistakes, although with the near scare that was the potential Lance Briggs fiasco I don't know:doh:

I do think this may be our year (but then I think that EVERY off season this time of year). :cheers:

Beer prices in fedex = 8.50

Beer prices in Every other stadium in every other sport = 8.00

Oh my god! the difference! highway robbery!

Please, if you want to drink, get drunk before the game, not at the game.

Or just don't drink at all. Theres no reason you can't have a great time without drinking.

Yes, get drunk before the game if you're not tailgating. Encouraging drunk driving is absolutely brilliant.

And the beers aren't eight dollars, so I don't know where you're pulling that from. They're seven.

Um...ok. How's this?

"Snyder uses the same bold, often impulsive approach that made him wealthy in business, in running an NFL team. Not realizing that a NFL owner would be so scrutinized, he was stung by media criticism of him, which began when he fired 25 or so Redskins employees within days of buying the team, some with 20 years-plus of service.

Criticism has also followed many of Snyder's team personnel moves, and the mediocre results of his management. Snyder often directly involves himself in Redskins' competitive operations and player acquisition. He has served as the de facto general manager for the team over the years, rather than let a professional do the job."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Snyder

I hope that clarifies everything :)

. . . I was being sarcastic.

If you go to school, and you cite Wikipedia, then you fail the paper and/or course.

If I were the owner of the Redskins the first thing I would do is to NOT make the season ticket holders buy PRE-season tickets.

Fifth is to have XXX Redskins radio own a station that can broadcast the games throughout the ENTIRE mid-Atlantic region.

Sixth is I would FIRE Vinny Cerrato and hire a GM and build the team through the Draft and not so much from free agency.

These are just a few things I would improve on if I were the owner. :D:cheers:

skinsfan44 you have my vote as our next owner:applause: You don't happen to have 1.5 Billion in spare cash to purchse the team do you?:silly:

Bob Kraft

The Rooney Family

Jerry Richardson

The Mara family

Wayne Huizenga

the Hunt Family

Pat Bowlen

Paul Allen (by far)

The Green Bay coop

These are just a few of the owners that I'd rather have than Snyder. Snyder, while he's backed off somewhat, is a man who cannot be trusted, especially with his association with Tom Cruise.

Already said my piece about Kraft.

Richardson`s Panthers have made the playoffs twice. And lost the Superbowl once since joining the NFL. Not exactly leaps and bounds over what Snyder has done huh?

Mara family... Uhmm ok. Check out the Giants record from 1964 to 1983. Thats almost 20 years without a single playoff appearance. You take the bad with the good.

Wayne Huizenga... That guy that fired Don Shula? Then hired and fired Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wannstedt before looking to the college ranks to find a coach like hmmmm... Nick Saban? Who he fired two years later and now has Cam Cameron. Yeah, I like his consistency too :doh:

the Hunt Family.. MMMMMMMMWWWWAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The hunt family have led the Chiefs to a grand total of one Super Bowl win in almost 50 years, and that was back in 1969! And the team has an all time post season record of 8-13. Yeah ok... Eat your heart out Mister Snyder. lol

Pat Bowlen has owned the Broncos since 1984. They had the two great seasons and he had one great quote ( This ones for John) and have not done much since. Lets see where Dan ranks after 23 years as owner of the Redskins.

Paul Allen by far? Why by far? They have done very little with what many consider alot of talent. What has he done besides claim that Holmgren is on the bubble for the last five or six years? He moved the team from a competitive AFC west to the new NFC west where the 9ers and the Cards looked like easy pickins for at least the next 5 years or so. I wonder if the Redskins had beat them in that playoff game if you would even have listed that guy.

The Green Bay coop- Look at the years between Starr and Favre.

Yes, get drunk before the game if you're not tailgating. Encouraging drunk driving is absolutely brilliant.

And the beers aren't eight dollars, so I don't know where you're pulling that from. They're seven.

Cut him some slack, he's not even legal yet. ;)

Low alcohol content Bud Light at Fedex is $7, beer at the Linc if I recall correctly was $5-6 depending on brand. There were also better food choices there (including some kind of crab dip thing, which was awesome). I can't imagine having a crab dip thing at Fedex; they'd have to remove the chicken tenders from the lineup at that point.

Free tip: For anyone attending a preseason game, DO NOT EAT THE PEANUTS.

They will be leftovers from last season, purchased from an airline which went out of business, so they were probably stale last December.

. . . I was being sarcastic.

If you go to school, and you cite Wikipedia, then you fail the paper and/or course.

You are still harping on that? Have you even read the Wikipedia article on Dan Snyder? What in it is factually inaccurate? The sources quoted in the article appear fair and legit. I recommend you at least read the information presented before writing it off because your profs think Wikipedia is too simple to use as research and they want you to confirm your information in other ways. For blogging about football, why would I go to the library... Stop being an idiot.

My point has been that I'd rather have Dan Snyder than any other owner because:

1) he's from here and isn't gonna take the team somewhere else (which happened to us twice in Baseball, so don't think it won't happen here).

2) he is aggressive and tries to better the team no matter what the cost, even if he makes rash decisions

I've compared him to other owners in this league and a few of you mentioned owners you'd rather have... These are all good owners, but none of them are from this area and it's doubtful that they would invest as much into the team. I'll mention a few:

Bob Kraft - Bob Kraft is from New England and is fine for the Patriots, but he is no Redskin. Without Tom Brady, Belichick and Kraft wouldn't be the revered organization they are today.

The Rooney Family - The Rooney's are fine if you want a family that is content winning the worst division in football. Lightning struck on them once and probably won't strike again for another 20+ years. They seemed content with too many mediocre seasons over the years and were slow to make changes.

Jerry Richardson - The Carolina Panthers have been a franchise for 11 years and been to 1 Super Bowl. I guess we'll see how Dan Snyder does in his 8th season. Richardson is decent, but has no local ties. He'd probably be the best of the bunch anyone has mentioned.

The Mara family - Has anyone watched the Giants? Why is Tom Coughlin still a head coach?

Wayne Huizenga - Since Huizenga took over the Dolphins in 1990, they haven't been passed the 2nd round of the playoffs. He also has his hand in too many baskets. I'd rather have Snyder who enjoys hanging out at Minicamp on the sidelines.

Paul Allen - I see no difference between Paul Allen and Daniel Snyder (other than Allen has more money and doesn't get involved with the team on a day-to-day basis). Again, Seattle is more appealing to Paul Allen.

The Green Bay coop - This is a publicly owned team... To me, this would be a disaster. A board of directors who has to consider share holders first would probably not spend so lavishly as Daniel Snyder does.

Sometimes I feel like posters on here think Dan reads these threads and offers free tickets to those who write the nicest things about him.

Sometimes I feel like posters on here like to criticize other posters more than actually criticizing the logic.

1) The Redskins have a bad record with Dan Snyder as owner of the Redskins, but that doesn't mean he is a bad owner. If you are from DC, you've probably heard that we had two baseball teams leave before the Nationals came here. You might have also witnessed the incredible stagnation that occurred during the John Kent Cooke ownership. This team was NOT worth very much at that point. The reason Daniel Snyder paid $800 million for this team is because the brand new stadium was worth $400 million.

2) The Bengals and Cardinals have had the same ownership for many decades and have never won a Super Bowl. They are known for being cheap. Bidwill also relocated a very popular St. Louis Cardinal franchise.

Snyder would be the perfect owner if he had more organization in the front office. His aggressiveness is great, but I wont really take him serious until Vinnie Cerrato is gone. When Gibbs leaves we need to let Gregg Williams coach and we need to bring in a GM to have complete control. Snyder and Cerrato shouldnt be making decisions..ever.

And why? Give me one example of an owner of a team in the NFL that has done a better job than Dan Snyder. And I dont mean an owner that has done a better job recently. I mean throughout the life of thier ownership.

Other than maybe Bob Kraft, I just dont see an owner that has an awesome record. I see Tom Brady making Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick look pretty smart. Considering Belichick and Bledsoe led the patriots to a stellar 5-11 season the year before Brady stepped in.

And during his head coaching tenure in Cleveland, Belichick compiled a less than impressive 36-44 record.

Wow, Tom Brady is a good player but basically stating that Belichick & Kraft ride ride his coatails is borderline crazy. Brady & all of the patriots benefit from a great system on both sides of the ball. His playoff and for that matter Superbowl stats are average at best. He has not lead touchdown drives like a particular QB he is always compared too. Getting to the 35 and having your kicker win all 3 SB's for you is much much different than putting the ball in the endzone. He is a good quarterback but to argue that the stability and vison from the front office doesn't help the teams success simply isn't true.

To the point of the post, I like Danny but I can't say he is a great owner as we have had zero stability in his tenure and put in most cases a poor product on the field. Of current owners the Rooney family in Pittsburg does a pretty good job. Right up 95 Bisciotti does a very good job as well as he lets his people do their jobs.

You are still harping on that? Have you even read the Wikipedia article on Dan Snyder? What in it is factually inaccurate? The sources quoted in the article appear fair and legit. I recommend you at least read the information presented before writing it off because your profs think Wikipedia is too simple to use as research and they want you to confirm your information in other ways. For blogging about football, why would I go to the library... Stop being an idiot.

My point has been that I'd rather have Dan Snyder than any other owner because:

1) he's from here and isn't gonna take the team somewhere else (which happened to us twice in Baseball, so don't think it won't happen here).

2) he is aggressive and tries to better the team no matter what the cost, even if he makes rash decisions

I've compared him to other owners in this league and a few of you mentioned owners you'd rather have... These are all good owners, but none of them are from this area and it's doubtful that they would invest as much into the team. I'll mention a few:

Bob Kraft - Bob Kraft is from New England and is fine for the Patriots, but he is no Redskin. Without Tom Brady, Belichick and Kraft wouldn't be the revered organization they are today.

The Rooney Family - The Rooney's are fine if you want a family that is content winning the worst division in football. Lightning struck on them once and probably won't strike again for another 20+ years. They seemed content with too many mediocre seasons over the years and were slow to make changes.

Jerry Richardson - The Carolina Panthers have been a franchise for 11 years and been to 1 Super Bowl. I guess we'll see how Dan Snyder does in his 8th season. Richardson is decent, but has no local ties. He'd probably be the best of the bunch anyone has mentioned.

The Mara family - Has anyone watched the Giants? Why is Tom Coughlin still a head coach?

Wayne Huizenga - Since Huizenga took over the Dolphins in 1990, they haven't been passed the 2nd round of the playoffs. He also has his hand in too many baskets. I'd rather have Snyder who enjoys hanging out at Minicamp on the sidelines.

Paul Allen - I see no difference between Paul Allen and Daniel Snyder (other than Allen has more money and doesn't get involved with the team on a day-to-day basis). Again, Seattle is more appealing to Paul Allen.

The Green Bay coop - This is a publicly owned team... To me, this would be a disaster. A board of directors who has to consider share holders first would probably not spend so lavishly as Daniel Snyder does.

To quote you: Blah blah blah.

My argument: Snyder likes the Redskins. Snyder likes money more.

Your counter-argument: Nothing pertinent to my argument.

Thanks for playing. And again, calling me an idiot and acting like an ass won't help your argument.

Wow, Tom Brady is a good player but basically stating that Belichick & Kraft ride ride his coatails is borderline crazy.

Yeah... I guess you`re right. The Patriots were REALLY good without Tom Brady. And I`m sure everyone in NE from the ownership right on down to the entire coaching staff would agree with you on that "coatails" thing. I mean the frikkin guy doesnt even throw TDs! :doh:

How on earth he managed to mount a few drives down to the 35yd line and aquire THREE Super Bowl rings is beyond me?

I guess anyone could QB for Kraft and Belichick and win,win,win huh? Silly me. WHAT A SYSTEM! :notworthy

Wow, Tom Brady is a good player but basically stating that Belichick & Kraft ride ride his coatails is borderline crazy. Brady & all of the patriots benefit from a great system on both sides of the ball. His playoff and for that matter Superbowl stats are average at best. He has not lead touchdown drives like a particular QB he is always compared too. Getting to the 35 and having your kicker win all 3 SB's for you is much much different than putting the ball in the endzone. He is a good quarterback but to argue that the stability and vison from the front office doesn't help the teams success simply isn't true.

To the point of the post, I like Danny but I can't say he is a great owner as we have had zero stability in his tenure and put in most cases a poor product on the field. Of current owners the Rooney family in Pittsburg does a pretty good job. Right up 95 Bisciotti does a very good job as well as he lets his people do their jobs.

brady is a stud what the hell are you talking about. Someone has to get the ball down to the 35 yard line for his kicker to kick the damn ball. How quickly you forget the drive against st. Louis. Drove down the field with no time outs left. Precision passing to all his receivers on the sidelines.

Why does he have to throw a TD to win the game? Maybe they had no choice but to lean on the kicker because time expired as those winning kicks were in the air. If a 3 pointer wins it, why go for 6?

I'll take brady under center for this team any day.

I also recall Brady leading the league in TD's the year after they won their first ring, and he did it with gloves no less.

What about spreading the ball to 10 different receivers in a game. He makes average players look like studs. We got sucked into this. Look at Fauria. Cut. Made a star out of Branch. What did he do that was so great in seattle with Hasselbeck throwing the ball.

What about Making Urlacher look like a Midget Linebacker.

Oh and what about leading his team to the conference finals with such stud receivers as Jabar Gaffney and reche Caldwell.

To quote you: Blah blah blah.

My argument: Snyder likes the Redskins. Snyder likes money more.

Your counter-argument: Nothing pertinent to my argument.

Thanks for playing. And again, calling me an idiot and acting like an ass won't help your argument.

I didn't assume you were calling me an ass because you said I was acting like an ass. Your own logic is calling you an idiot, whereas I merely say you should stop being one.

My main point for every post on this topic has always been that Mr. Snyder could make more money in marketing ventures than he could in the Redskins. Your response was to knock my use of Wikipedia (which for sports blogging purposes isn't a crime) and saying I was acting like an ass.

If you can prove that Mr. Snyder is making more money over the last 7 years with his initial $800M investment than he would have done in something else, then I'll at least listen to your argument. There isn't an NFL team in the league that doesn't try to make money, so the fact that he makes money doesn't support your argument.

Most Super Bowls are won by teams with Franchise QBs... There are only three teams that I can remember winning a Super Bowl without at least a Pro Bowl QB and those were Tampa Bay, the Baltimore Ravens, and the '87 Redskins. To have success, you need a franchise QB (and that's why the Redskins invested so much in Jason Campbell).

1) What was Belichick's record as a coach prior to Tom Brady?

2) Kraft is a good owner, but he wouldn't be near the same owner in Washington, DC... If he were owner here, we'd be the "Boston Redskins" in 20 years when the stadium wasn't new anymore.

']

In answer to your question. I am more than happy with our owner because of 2 reasons:

1) He has money and likes to spend it on his football team.

2) He brought back Gibbs.

3) He desperately wants to win.

Other than Snyder thought, if I had to pick someone.

Art.

And Bubby can be his Vinny.

First, let me say that this is not a personal attack on anyone. I just want someone - ANYONE - to explain to me in objective terms (i.e. facts, numbers, etc.) why Dan Snyder is an even average owner in the NFL.

The only one that I can think of is the $ value of the franchise. But that's hardly a fact that I (or any of you, if you're being honest) care about. I mean, do you think the small-market Spurs fans care how little their franchise is worth?

Just a question. I am completely open to persuasion.

This is a good question, and it deserves a good answer - unfortunately, there isn't one. Success in the NFL is quantifiable by wins and losses.

So, I hope you're willing to settle for conjectural interpretation of motives? In that case, Danny is a great owner, because I really admire him, and I think he's swell guy who really wants to win. :laugh:

I sense more than a little sarcasm in that last statement there. Although, I'd hoped to get a straight answer from one of the Snyder sympathizers. The problem is, most of us feel that you can't simultaneously criticize Snyder and be a Redskins fan. Also, "wanting to win" seems to carry a lot of weight around here. I honestly could care less what his motivations were. I mean, he actually could be in it for the money... as long as there were better on the field results. Besides, are there really no owners besides Snyder that want to win?

It's unfortunate, but I think that quite a few of the glaringly poor decisions made in the past continue to cost this team in the present because the front office (and many of the fans) simply do not want to sit through one or two "rebuilding" years. Why would we? Rebuilding usually means losing records and we've endured too many of those in the recent past. However, despite a poor win-loss record in those years, we haven't rebuilt the team since Snyder took over. I mean - as a whole, this hasn't been a young, up and coming team in a while. Actually, I'm at a loss to remember a time when you could say that we were rebuilding. You could say that we've always tried to "reload" instead.

"Win Now" brought us Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Jeff George, Jeremiah Trotter, etc. etc. These were more than just bad calls. We all know this. Most recently, for example, paying Adam Archuleta Pro Bowl money to ride the pine and then get shipped to Chicago cost us the 6th pick in this year's draft since he needed to be replaced. You know and I know that we would've passed on Landry if Archuleta had actually earned his pay. Getting Landry is great, but I would've been happy with our first LSU safety (Ryan Clark) and a decent DE, DT, CB, etc. prospect.

"Win Now" has created an organization where successful players cannot be kept because we can't afford to pay them what they deserve. Then the fans blame the player for doing what's best for themselves. e.g. Antonio Pierce, Stephen Davis, and (dare I say it) Champ Bailey. Heck - I bet we would have liked to keep Derrick Dockery around for continuity alone. I could go on, here.

This organization treats players like employees, so players act like employees: see Shawn Springs. Really, as an employee, would you take a pay cut in order to better the organization you were working for? Certainly not unless you really believed in that organization.

"Win Now" sent Brad Johnson off to the Bucs to help them get to their 1st SB Championship - Traded him two years after he made the pro bowl, set a team record for completions, put up the 2nd most passing yardage in Redskins history, and lead the NFL's no. 2 offense. He had a down year, so we replaced him with Jeff George.

"Win Now" sent Schottenheimer to the Chargers to help turn that organization around, replaced him with Spurrier so he could turn USC around, and replaced him with Gibbs so we could turn his Hall of Fame career around.

Finally, and I'm sure that most could care less about this, but it's always bothered me that the rights to JKC Stadium were sold to FedEx. But then again, what did JKC ever do for the Skins franchise?

*Yes, I am aware that 19 of 32 NFL teams have sold the naming rights to their football fields, but that number is likely to decrease. Of the seven planned NFL stadiums, so far only one has sold the naming rights (Colts to Lucas Oil). I hate to do this to my fellow Skins fans, but to just to drive this point home: Texas Stadium will remain Texas Stadium until the Cowladies leave and they still have the 2nd most lucrative franchise in the NFL. And, of course, their new stadium will host the SB in 2011. :puke:

So, forgive me if I am less than pleased with our owner. I really am open to persuasion to the contrary.

Thanks Fred288156 for perfectly stating my thoughts. I didn't have the time to write all this. And get out of my head :)

So...from what I can gather from this thread, here are what people like about Dan:

1. He wants to win.

2. He won't move the team.

3. He had made the Skins more profitable.

4. Doesn't gouge for beers any more than any other owner.

Ok. These are all valid points. But what do they mean to me as a fan? The first one is just dumb...who doesn't want to win? Besides, wins = more money.

It's nice that he won't move the team, but why the hell would he move a cashcow like this? All other major markets have been spoken for, except LA. And you all saw how well LA supports football teams.

Profits? Great. Good for him. I'm happy to contribute to his bottom line. But this is a private business. Don't mean squat to the fans. Sure, he spends more on players than most, but the result is still a losing franchise. Why doesn't anyone want to take him to task on the most important thing?

After all, when sitting around watching the Skins get their butts kicked last year, I didn't think "Damn! This team makes some MONEY!! THANKS DAN!"

So, forgive me if I am less than pleased with our owner. I really am open to persuasion to the contrary, but so far most of you sound like the battered wife who's afraid to leave her abusive husband: "...but he loves me..."

Fred,

Respectfully, I have two points:

1) Wouldn't you want the owner of your favorite NFL franchise to make money (and even more than anyone else in the NFL)? Frankly, the more money he makes, the more he is likely to spend in an attempt to make your favorite franchise better... He hasn't been successful, but you can't say it wasn't for a lack of trying.

2) Your statement about an "abusive husband" was a poor choice of words that reflect more on you than it does on anyone who supports the current ownership of the Redskins. I know it was "creative writing", but it let's not get too creative. :)

I didn't assume you were calling me an ass because you said I was acting like an ass. Your own logic is calling you an idiot, whereas I merely say you should stop being one.

My main point for every post on this topic has always been that Mr. Snyder could make more money in marketing ventures than he could in the Redskins. Your response was to knock my use of Wikipedia (which for sports blogging purposes isn't a crime) and saying I was acting like an ass.

If you can prove that Mr. Snyder is making more money over the last 7 years with his initial $800M investment than he would have done in something else, then I'll at least listen to your argument. There isn't an NFL team in the league that doesn't try to make money, so the fact that he makes money doesn't support your argument.

You're still not addressing anything. We're not even arguing, because I don't even think that you disagree with me. It's really, REALLY simple:

1) Snyder likes the Redskins as a team.

2) Snyder likes money more than he likes the Redskins.

I don't care about what he makes with any other project. All that I'm saying is that if Snyder had a choice between making money and doing what's right for the Redskins, then he would choose the former.

Thanks Fred288156 for perfectly stating my thoughts. I didn't have the time to write all this. And get out of my head :)

So...from what I can gather from this thread, here are what people like about Dan:

1. He wants to win.

2. He won't move the team.

3. He had made the Skins more profitable.

4. Doesn't gouge for beers any more than any other owner.

Ok. These are all valid points. But what do they mean to me as a fan? The first one is just dumb...who doesn't want to win? Besides, wins = more money.

It's nice that he won't move the team, but why the hell would he move a cashcow like this? All other major markets have been spoken for, except LA. And you all saw how well LA supports football teams.

Profits? Great. Good for him. I'm happy to contribute to his bottom line. But this is a private business. Don't mean squat to the fans. Sure, he spends more on players than most, but the result is still a losing franchise. Why doesn't anyone want to take him to task on the most important thing?

After all, when sitting around watching the Skins get their butts kicked last year, I didn't think "Damn! This team makes some MONEY!! THANKS DAN!"

Those who argue Daniel Snyder is all about the money ignore the fact that he could be making more money doing something he has more expertise in. You have to at least prove that he actually makes more money as the principal owner of the Washington Redskins (not the sole-owner, mind you) than he did with Snyder Communications... It also should be noted that he started that communications company from scratch, whereas he came into the Redskins already having at least $300M. Basically, these ESers are not addressing the "opportunity cost" that it takes to raise $800M in debt/investment and apply that to an NFL franchise and stadium when you could've done something else with that money that might've made a lot more. Also, the franchise "value" (which is 1.4B according to Forbes) only matters if Snyder is interested in selling, which he doesn't appear to be.

Archived