Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who would you rather owned the Redskins?

JC2MOSS

Give me one example of an owner of a team in the NFL that has done a better job than Dan Snyder. And I dont mean an owner that has done a better job recently. I mean throughout the life of thier ownership.

Other than maybe Bob Kraft, I just dont see an owner that has an awesome record.

Are you nuts?

You make it sound like we've won 2 SB's over the past 8 seasons.

Fact is, overall the Redskins have a losing record since 1999 and the W-L has gotten worse recently, not better.

Snyder loves the Redskins... It's not just about making money with the guy. There isn't another multi-millionaire in the word I'd rather have owning the Redskins than someone who grew up in this area and has loved the team with as much passion as anyone who calls himself a Redskins' fan.

Those folks who want someone else need to realize there are owners out there like the Irsays, Modells, Davises, and Bidwills who don't give a damn about the town they are in, the love of the fans, or the history of the franchise...

For all the whining people do about Snyder, he's a great owner and we're lucky to have him. Eventually, he will win and all those haters will suddenly say they loved him the whole time.

Snyder loves the Redskins... It's not just about making money with the guy. There isn't another multi-millionaire in the word I'd rather have owning the Redskins than someone who grew up in this area and has loved the team with as much passion as anyone who calls himself a Redskins' fan.

Those folks who want someone else need to realize there are owners out there like the Irsays, Modells, Davises, and Bidwills who don't give a damn about the town they are in, the love of the fans, or the history of the franchise...

For all the whining people do about Snyder, he's a great owner and we're lucky to have him. Eventually, he will win and all those haters will suddenly say they loved him the whole time.

Oh come on. Snyder is a businessman first, foremost, and only. He'll take another million dollars over a winning season any day. He has the sweetest ownership in the world. He knows that we'll pay anything no matter how crappy our team is. He can say that he's a fan all he wants, and he very well may be, but that is NOT his priority. He played fantasy football, like everyone else has said, and now seems to at least want to win, but don't believe everything that you read. You wouldn't be naive enough to do that for a politician, would you?

He'll take another million dollars over a winning season any day.

Putting out a winning product would increase his gained revenue.

I won't debate the fantasy football moments or the general mediocrity of team (except the 2005 season).

A consistently winning team would bring back Redskins fever to DC and would create more sales than just the die-hard fans.

First, let me say that this is not a personal attack on anyone. I just want someone - ANYONE - to explain to me in objective terms (i.e. facts, numbers, etc.) why Dan Snyder is an even average owner in the NFL.

The only one that I can think of is the $ value of the franchise. But that's hardly a fact that I (or any of you, if you're being honest) care about. I mean, do you think the small-market Spurs fans care how little their franchise is worth?

Just a question. I am completely open to persuasion.

Putting out a winning product would increase his gained revenue.

I won't debate the fantasy football moments or the general mediocrity of team (except the 2005 season).

A consistently winning team would bring back Redskins fever to DC and would create more sales than just the die-hard fans.

The increase would be marginal at best. We've been sold out for the better part of half a century. We keep buying everything Redskins, even those damned new Crocs, regardless of our record. Believe me, he's not gonna make much more if we win. If he were such a die-hard fan, then our jumbotron wouldn't be smaller than the text box that I'm typing this in.

Oh come on. Snyder is a businessman first, foremost, and only. He'll take another million dollars over a winning season any day. He has the sweetest ownership in the world. He knows that we'll pay anything no matter how crappy our team is. He can say that he's a fan all he wants, and he very well may be, but that is NOT his priority. He played fantasy football, like everyone else has said, and now seems to at least want to win, but don't believe everything that you read. You wouldn't be naive enough to do that for a politician, would you?

Do you really think Mr. Snyder makes more money in football than he did in Snyder Communications? He owns about 12% interest in Six Flags... He has other ventures, but still you see him attending OTAs and other events.

Let's see... He made $300M in April 2000 off a company he founded only 12 years earlier. He (and his partners) bought the Redskins and the stadium for $800M and went into debt to the tune of $500M. Wikipedia reports it costs about $50M just to service the debt.

You know why the team is so profitable now? Because Snyder put his communications/marketing ideas into his Football team to make them the most profitable. Now, we gross $40M more than the Cowboys every year.

He could probably make a LOT more money doing other things, but this is what he loves. He grew up in this area as a Redskins fan and making money is important, but there is no evidence that money-making isn't secondary to his love for the team... He spends aggressively on this team... You don't see him marketing this team and treating it like Bidwill or the Brown family, do you? How many teams in this league even have anything like "Redskins One"? What teams spend more on coaches?

The only other owner you can possibly put in the same category is Jerry Jones. The rest of the owners are pretty lame. BTW, the Krafts would be great owners only in New England, since they are from that area and love their team like Snyder does the Redskins. However, take them out of New England and you have the same situation as most other teams. We're lucky to have an owner who loves Washington and is committed to the area.

Do you really think Mr. Snyder makes more money in football than he did in Snyder Communications? He owns about 12% interest in Six Flags... He has other ventures, but still you see him attending OTAs and other events.

Let's see... He made $300M in April 2000 off a company he founded only 12 years earlier. He (and his partners) bought the Redskins and the stadium for $800M and went into debt to the tune of $500M. Wikipedia reports it costs about $50M just to service the debt.

You know why the team is so profitable now? Because Snyder put his communications/marketing ideas into his Football team to make them the most profitable. Now, we gross $40M more than the Cowboys every year.

He could probably make a LOT more money doing other things, but this is what he loves. He grew up in this area as a Redskins fan and making money is important, but there is no evidence that money-making isn't secondary to his love for the team... He spends aggressively on this team... You don't see him marketing this team and treating it like Bidwill or the Brown family, do you? How many teams in this league even have anything like "Redskins One"? What teams spend more on coaches?

The only other owner you can possibly put in the same category is Jerry Jones. The rest of the owners are pretty lame. BTW, the Krafts would be great owners only in New England, since they are from that area and love their team like Snyder does the Redskins. However, take them out of New England and you have the same situation as most other teams. We're lucky to have an owner who loves Washington and is committed to the area.

He's not committed to an area; he has the best market here. Tickets and merchandise will sell here at an ever-increasing rate more often than the Sun will rise. He tells you what you want to hear because it helps him make money. We are the most profitable team for a reason. He knows that our demand is ridiculous, so he can charge whatever he wants. What are our ticket prices compared to the rest of the league? Hell, what are our BEER prices compared to the rest of the league?

I'm not saying that he may not have watched the team growing up and actually knows the verse to "Hail To The Redskins", but I don't exactly see him with an account on ES, either.

Oh, and if you're going to cite Wikipedia, then don't. Really.

He's not committed to an area; he has the best market here.

The guy was raised here a Redskins fan... The business he founded was based here. What are you basing these opinions on? Just a dumb gut-feeling? Perhaps a Marketing 101 class you happen to pass?

Tickets and merchandise will sell here at an ever-increasing rate more often than the Sun will rise.

Like they do in 31 other NFL cities? He could've bought some other NFL team when they came available, but he bought this one. This was not the leagues most valuable franchise until after Daniel Snyder bought it and after he scored the deal with FedEx.

He tells you what you want to hear because it helps him make money. We are the most profitable team for a reason. He knows that our demand is ridiculous, so he can charge whatever he wants. What are our ticket prices compared to the rest of the league? Hell, what are our BEER prices compared to the rest of the league?

Again, we are the most profitable team because of Dan Snyder... We weren't the most profitable team under JKC or John Kent Cooke. Our ticket prices and beer prices are high, but we also live in one of the more expensive NFL cities in the league. This isn't just due to Dan Snyder, but it's also due to vendors like Nathan's, Budweiser and the service company (Ogdens?)... Most of the money is made through Advertising... Again, what did Dan Snyder do prior to owning the Redskins? Advertising... This is why the Redskins are the most profitable. Fan loyalty only plays a part because it draws more advertising. The money made

I'm not saying that he may not have watched the team growing up and actually knows the verse to "Hail To The Redskins", but I don't exactly see him with an account on ES, either.

I'll ignore the above comment... You can think of something more intelligent to say.

Oh, and if you're going to cite Wikipedia, then don't. Really.

Wikipedia is far superior to "NewCliche", which is precisely the only reference you seem to be in love with.

Your entire premise is that Dan Snyder only cares about money because he makes a lot. You fail to realize that there are probably other things he could be doing to make a lot more money than owning an NFL franchise. He bought it for $800M and it's worth $1.3B? According to Forbes (better resource for you?), he had to sell %20 stake in the Redskins to help cover the debt he originally incurred to help purchase the team. Doesn't it make sense to you that he isn't in this entirely for money? That he might actually love owning the Redskins more than Snyder Communications (or his other ventures that he doesn't appear to pour near as much time into)?

I believe he wants the Redskins to win first, and make money second. If you look at his spending, it doesn't meet the litmus test for an owner who cares more about money than winning. Look at the Arizona Cardinals or the Cincinnati Bengals who have a history of spending as little as possible no matter what the outcome is on the field.

In summary, the Redskins spend more than any team in the league on their football team... You are wrong... now get over it.

The guy was raised here a Redskins fan... The business he founded was based here. What are you basing these opinions on? Just a dumb gut-feeling? Perhaps a Marketing 101 class you happen to pass?

Like they do in 31 other NFL cities? He could've bought some other NFL team when they came available, but he bought this one. This was not the leagues most valuable franchise until after Daniel Snyder bought it and after he scored the deal with FedEx.

Again, we are the most profitable team because of Dan Snyder... We weren't the most profitable team under JKC or John Kent Cooke. Our ticket prices and beer prices are high, but we also live in one of the more expensive NFL cities in the league. This isn't just due to Dan Snyder, but it's also due to vendors like Nathan's, Budweiser and the service company (Ogdens?)... Most of the money is made through Advertising... Again, what did Dan Snyder do prior to owning the Redskins? Advertising... This is why the Redskins are the most profitable. Fan loyalty only plays a part because it draws more advertising. The money made

I'll ignore the above comment... You can think of something more intelligent to say.

Wikipedia is far superior to "NewCliche", which is precisely the only reference you seem to be in love with.

Your entire premise is that Dan Snyder only cares about money because he makes a lot. You fail to realize that there are probably other things he could be doing to make a lot more money than owning an NFL franchise. He bought it for $800M and it's worth $1.3B? According to Forbes (better resource for you?), he had to sell %20 stake in the Redskins to help cover the debt he originally incurred to help purchase the team. Doesn't it make sense to you that he isn't in this entirely for money? That he might actually love owning the Redskins more than Snyder Communications (or his other ventures that he doesn't appear to pour near as much time into)?

I believe he wants the Redskins to win first, and make money second. If you look at his spending, it doesn't meet the litmus test for an owner who cares more about money than winning. Look at the Arizona Cardinals or the Cincinnati Bengals who have a history of spending as little as possible no matter what the outcome is on the field.

In summary, the Redskins spend more than any team in the league on their football team... You are wrong... now get over it.

And again, you say absolutely nothing. I'll try and break this down for you:

1) Snyder likes the team.

2) Snyder likes money more.

Acting like an ass doesn't help your argument.

First, let me say that this is not a personal attack on anyone. I just want someone - ANYONE - to explain to me in objective terms (i.e. facts, numbers, etc.) why Dan Snyder is an even average owner in the NFL.

This is a good question, and it deserves a good answer - unfortunately, there isn't one. Success in the NFL is quantifiable by wins and losses.

So, I hope you're willing to settle for conjectural interpretation of motives? In that case, Danny is a great owner, because I really admire him, and I think he's swell guy who really wants to win. :laugh:

The Skins were so close to getting howard Milstein as a co-owner.

How did he do in the n.h.l. at the n.y. islanders?

Snyder isn't perfect, we pay top dollar for seasons of mediocrity but getting Gibbs back changes not just the present but the future legacy.

That is if the scouting/personnel is upgraded before Gibbs leaves.

Snyder is young.He will be around for a while.

Williams and Saunders could be here for a long time.

This "stability" thing is deadly boring.

But Snyder is forever damned as something else.

The Skins were so close to getting howard Milstein as a co-owner.

How did he do in the n.h.l. at the n.y. islanders?

Snyder isn't perfect, we pay top dollar for seasons of mediocrity but getting Gibbs back changes not just the present but the future legacy.

That is if the scouting/personnel is upgraded before Gibbs leaves.

Snyder is young.He will be around for a while.

Williams and Saunders could be here for a long time.

This "stability" thing is deadly boring.

But Snyder is forever damned as something else.

I would have rather had the Cooke family continue to own the franchise, but JKC nixed that deal in his will.

THe Squire was brash and bold, much like Snyder, but there was something about the man that you couldn't help but like about him. I don't get that at all with Snyder, and the only thing I see in him is arrogance and money grabber. Snyder almost never gives interviews which makes him even more hated by the media, and even more mysterious to outsiders. At least JKC gave an interview once in a while, so you knew what you were going to get. John Kent Cooke, while kind of a limp noodle, would have meant stability and consistency in the owner's box. And we would still have 78000 seats in JKC Stadium in Raljon, not 92000 seats in FedEx Field in Landover.

Okay, to lighten’ things up here “Who would you rather owned the Redskins?”

Myself.

If I were the owner of the Redskins the first thing I would do is to NOT make the season ticket holders buy PRE-season tickets.

Have them as an option like JKC did.

I won’t care if the pre-season games don’t sell out, it is just pre-season.

I don’t know how Snyder can sleep at night knowing that he charges the same price for a meaningless game as he does for a regular season game.

Second is to bring back the give-aways at the stadium for every game.

Third is to open the parking lots 6 hours before kickoff instead of 4.

Forth is to bring the training camp back to Carlisle, PA at Dickinson College where it belongs.

Fifth is to have XXX Redskins radio own a station that can broadcast the games throughout the ENTIRE mid-Atlantic region.

Sixth is I would FIRE Vinny Cerrato and hire a GM and build the team through the Draft and not so much from free agency.

These are just a few things I would improve on if I were the owner. :D:cheers:

Sometimes I feel like posters on here think Dan reads these threads and offers free tickets to those who write the nicest things about him.

So, Dan Snyder has a great net worth and spends more than everyone else. He also makes more profit than anyone else. If I were a stockholder in a business, he would be my man. As a fan of a football team, I would take almost any other owner over Dan. We have seen the results. If you think he is a great owner, you aren't looking at on-field production.

What's the point of pointing to Arizona? Sure, they spend less and have less excitement surrounding the team...but last I checked they had an identical record to the Skins last year. Cinninnati has been much better recently too.

Are we looking at the fact that Dan has brought this team to the playoffs twice in 8 years, one of which he had virtually no say in the composition of the team? His stellar overall record? The fact that he has priced out many diehard fans with the second most expensive gamedays in the NFL? The fact that they are considered to have one of the worst gameday experiences in the league? I don't think so.

Everyone loves to point to his vast 'love' for this team and how much he spends and how he has learned from his mistakes and he is better than Bidwell and Angelos...but, sorry, to me that does not make him a great, or even a good owner.

As far as I'm concerned, Dan has done one thing right since taking over, and that is bringing back Gibbs and the rest of this coaching staff. Other than that, I wouldn't be able to point to one thing that he has done right during his tenure (that involve the win/loss column). If you can point to some actual tangible evidence, I'm all ears.

Sometimes I feel like posters on here think Dan reads these threads and offers free tickets to those who write the nicest things about him.

So, Dan Snyder has a great net worth and spends more than everyone else. He also makes more profit than anyone else. If I were a stockholder in a business, he would be my man. As a fan of a football team, I would take almost any other owner over Dan. We have seen the results. If you think he is a great owner, you aren't looking at on-field production.

What's the point of pointing to Arizona? Sure, they spend less and have less excitement surrounding the team...but last I checked they had an identical record to the Skins last year. Cinninnati has been much better recently too.

Are we looking at the fact that Dan has brought this team to the playoffs twice in 8 years, one of which he had virtually no say in the composition of the team? His stellar overall record? The fact that he has priced out many diehard fans with the second most expensive gamedays in the NFL? The fact that they are considered to have one of the worst gameday experiences in the league? I don't think so.

Everyone loves to point to his vast 'love' for this team and how much he spends and how he has learned from his mistakes and he is better than Bidwell and Angelos...but, sorry, to me that does not make him a great, or even a good owner.

As far as I'm concerned, Dan has done one thing right since taking over, and that is bringing back Gibbs and the rest of this coaching staff. Other than that, I wouldn't be able to point to one thing that he has done right during his tenure (that involve the win/loss column). If you can point to some actual tangible evidence, I'm all ears.

You're so stupid. You don't have anything cited from Wikipedia, so your post is a moot point, really.

Okay, to lighten’ things up here “Who would you rather owned the Redskins?”

Myself.

If I were the owner of the Redskins the first thing I would do is to NOT make the season ticket holders buy PRE-season tickets.

Have them as an option like JKC did.

I won’t care if the pre-season games don’t sell out, it is just pre-season.

I don’t know how Snyder can sleep at night knowing that he charges the same price for a meaningless game as he does for a regular season game.

Second is to bring back the give-aways at the stadium for every game.

Third is to open the parking lots 6 hours before kickoff instead of 4.

Forth is to bring the training camp back to Carlisle, PA at Dickinson College where it belongs.

Fifth is to have XXX Redskins radio own a station that can broadcast the games throughout the ENTIRE mid-Atlantic region.

Sixth is I would FIRE Vinny Cerrato and hire a GM and build the team through the Draft and not so much from free agency.

These are just a few things I would improve on if I were the owner. :D:cheers:

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy except I would own the team

You're so stupid. You don't have anything cited from Wikipedia, so your post is a moot point, really.

Um...ok. How's this?

"Snyder uses the same bold, often impulsive approach that made him wealthy in business, in running an NFL team. Not realizing that a NFL owner would be so scrutinized, he was stung by media criticism of him, which began when he fired 25 or so Redskins employees within days of buying the team, some with 20 years-plus of service.

Criticism has also followed many of Snyder's team personnel moves, and the mediocre results of his management. Snyder often directly involves himself in Redskins' competitive operations and player acquisition. He has served as the de facto general manager for the team over the years, rather than let a professional do the job."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Snyder

I hope that clarifies everything :)

Archived