Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alcohol at Son's 16th Gets 27-Month Sentence

NattyLight

Justified because if some idiot parent had my kids over to a party that they were chaperoning and supplying alcohol for, I would go ballistic.

If I had kids and decide to allow them to drink within the household for holidays or special occasions that would be one thing and it would be in moderation. This mom spent over 300 bucks on alcohol for other peoples kids. Lets say just kegs...thats a 4 keg party alone.

Her son asked her to buy beer, so obviously he felt comfortable asking and at 16. Likely had already drank with his parents and felt she might be willing to accommodate his request.

Although she tried to be somewhat responsible by taking keys and what not she was completely irresponsible for providing an environment for these OTHER peoples children to break the law.

Stupid mom.

1. Seems that the sentencing guidelines for the crime are out of whack somehow. I think the good people of Virginia can get the sentencing or law changed if they so wish.

2. Also seems dumb to knowlingly violate the law (unless you are openly protesting an unjust law). I don't know any 16 year old that has been harmed by waiting until they were the legal age to consume alcohol.

3. She probably could have avoided the whole scenario by slipping him (and only him) a beer to "celebrate", with only he and his immediate family present in the house. Is there a law against giving your own son/daughter a drink (I honestly don't know).

4. I would certainly say they are being dealt with out of proportion to a rich or important person in the same circumstances, although I admit I have no direct evidence to offer in support of this.

Okay, while I don't agree with what the mother did, she should not be serving 27 months, it should have been the 90 day that the DA suggested. 27 months is EXCESSIVE. Here in NC, the penalty for providing to a minor is no more than 30 days in jail, no more than $1000 dollar fine and loss of license for 6 months (or a year, I forget).

That is something I have to remember every time I get a young looking person come through my line to buy beer/wine.

The sentance was harsh but in no way was the mom right for providing to minors. Even if she did ensure that noone left.

3. She probably could have avoided the whole scenario by slipping him (and only him) a beer to "celebrate", with only he and his immediate family present in the house. Is there a law against giving your own son/daughter a drink (I honestly don't know).

That actually varies by state, from what I've heard, it's legal in Ohio, but not in Arkansas...

(I had a convo with someone who moved from Ohio to Arkansas, so that's how I know about that)

But Albemarle County Commonwealth's Attorney James L. Camblos III, who prosecuted the parents, said it was the worst case of underage drinking he has had to deal with in 15 years. "Not only were they serving alcohol to 15- and 16-year-olds, they misled parents who called to ask about alcohol, and they tried to get the kids to cover it up after police got there," Camblos said.

It was more than just simply serving achohol to a minor. It was serving alcohol to at least 16 minors, lying to other parents, and cohercing minors to lie after the fact.

So, who's the cool Mom now?

When they lied to the other parents that was the problem, and a 16th bday?? I can see an 18th maybe but not a 16th, and yes the punishment is too severe.

What you tell the kids is there is a cooler and if we don't see it it is not our fault :laugh: :laugh:

My father allowed me to take one sip of beer from one can on his lap starting very early. He allowed me to drink at family reunions where it was normal and no one was going anywhere. He didn't make alcohol a taboo, as long as I agreed to drink it with him and hang out. He did not supply any of my friends, though, my best friend was allowed to drink with the two of us because his father said it was ok. Now, by drinking, I mean having a beer with a bowl of spicy food. Or, working in the yard and taking a break with a can of beer.

I would provide alcohol for a party of my daughter's if she asked, but, I would make it well known that it was there and parents who didn't approve didn't have to allow their kids to come. The problem with the mother in this case is providing alcohol to other children without permission of parents. That is ALWAYS wrong. Now, not 27-months in jail wrong, but wrong :).

I do agree that the punishment is too severe though, but thats not my choice to make.

Not yours personally, but a jury should be smart enough -- at least one person -- to hang a case like this and prevent any sentencing at all. But, I'm a big proponent of jury nullification :). I ever serve on a jury where a father avenged a bad thing happening to his family, and that's one hung jury. Guaranteed.

Seriously, Art? At 15 -16?

Honestly, no, but, I've been on the record as stating I will treat a daughter differently than a son :). When I envision providing alcohol at a party, it's the kegger for he boy. That said, I guarantee my daughters will have a mimosa on Mother's Day before they are 15 or 16, or a Bloody Mary on Father's Day, or a glass of wine at a nice dinner, whatever. I could even see having a mimosa breakfast on her Sweet 16, but, the type of drink and time of day tends to make that a different equation than hanging out in the basement swilling until you pass out :).

Not yours personally, but a jury should be smart enough -- at least one person -- to hang a case like this and prevent any sentencing at all. But, I'm a big proponent of jury nullification :). I ever serve on a jury where a father avenged a bad thing happening to his family, and that's one hung jury. Guaranteed.

So if they are endangering my child by providing them alcohol and in turn my child dies from alcohol poisoning, than I have the right to kill them. I hope you are on the jury if something like this ever happened.

And I don't know the minimum sentence requirements in VA for whatever crimes this mom committed. But apparently 8 years was initially acceptable.

Dont get me wrong, I have known plenty of underage people that drink, but I am not the one responsible for providing it. And nor do I hang out with those people. When they are over 18 its their responsibility at this same party, 15 and 16 its the parents hosting the party who have to be held accountable. Especially when they provided the alcohol.

This type of thing would ONLY happen in a America. It's the criminalization of alcohol by our society that (a) is a vehicle for heightened substance abuse and (B) and invaluable source of income for state and local governments.

yet your name is nattylight :laugh: :laugh:

The mom is an idiot she LIED to other parents that is the only problem here, and buying a ton of beer for them.

There is no criminalization of alcohol here there is just an idiotic mother with no common sense what so ever.

Seriously, Art? At 15 -16?

For what it's worth, the drinking age for beer and wine is 16 in Germany.

My dad bought a case (24 half liter bottles) for me and my friends on more than one occasion when I was growing up there.

So if they are endangering my child by providing them alcohol and in turn my child dies from alcohol poisoning, than I have the right to kill them. I hope you are on the jury if something like this ever happened.

And I don't know the minimum sentence requirements in VA for whatever crimes this mom committed. But apparently 8 years was initially acceptable.

Dont get me wrong, I have known plenty of underage people that drink, but I am not the one responsible for providing it. And nor do I hang out with those people. When they are over 18 its their responsibility at this same party, 15 and 16 its the parents hosting the party who have to be held accountable. Especially when they provided the alcohol.

you do understand how much it takes for alcohol poisoning right?? However it is not like the parents would force the kid to drink are you saying you would not take any responsibility for your kid for drinking too much, that is the problem here if you ask me

You betcha.

yet your name is nattylight :laugh: :laugh:

The mom is an idiot she LIED to other parents that is the only problem here, and buying a ton of beer for them.

There is no criminalization of alcohol here there is just an idiotic mother with no common sense what so ever.

no one here is saying she wasn't wrong or stupid...but damn dude 27 months in prison is a long time. i think she would have gotten the messege and would have never been a problem again with just 1-2 months. i am pretty sure a lot of violent criminals get less serious sentences.

This type of thing would ONLY happen in a America. It's the criminalization of alcohol by our society that (a) is a vehicle for heightened substance abuse and (B) and invaluable source of income for state and local governments.

I have to disagree on that Natty. The criminalization part is for the UNDER AGE portion of the population. Society has made a judgement that younger people are not mature enough to (in general) handle certain things.

Voting, drinking, marrying, joining the military, working at night, being responsible for their own education, etc.

I am a proponent of making voting, drinking, serving in the military, etc, all of one age, and set by the states only.

I think you need to step back and perhaps realize that the sentence is what is driving your angst here.

For what it's worth, the drinking age for beer and wine is 16 in Germany.

My dad bought a case (24 half liter bottles) for me and my friends on more than one occasion when I was growing up there.

In much of the world MOST things are tolerated more than in our free society. Sex is typically allowed at far younger ages. Check our enlightened brothers to the north where 14 is the age of consent. Drinking is younger. America does have a problem in that we tend to make EVERYTHING the devil and when you do it, it's hard to believe all of it is. We should probably pick and choose the things we get serious about.

If you're honest during voir dire, you're not going to get anywhere near that jury. :silly:

The right way to fix this is not with jury nullification, but if it's so wrong the voters should change the law (like people have mentioned with exceptions for giving your own kids alcohol).

The sentence in this case is definitely excessive, but the voters can also fix this by making sure the General Assembly doesn't reappoint the judge.

Archived