Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alcohol at Son's 16th Gets 27-Month Sentence

NattyLight

no one here is saying she wasn't wrong or stupid...but damn dude 27 months in prison is a long time. i think she would have gotten the messege and would have never been a problem again with just 1-2 months. i am pretty sure a lot of violent criminals get less serious sentences.

oh i agree that the punishment does not fit the crime :)

So if they are endangering my child by providing them alcohol and in turn my child dies from alcohol poisoning, than I have the right to kill them. I hope you are on the jury if something like this ever happened.

See, it's extremist like you that fuel this bull****. Wake up, if your child is going to drink to the point of alcohol poisoning...there's nothing you can do about it. It's going to happen one way or another. Whether they steal it, another parent or an older friend or a bum on the street buys it for them.

Also, from the artical only a 1/3 of the kids were even taking part in drinking and 1/2 of them weren't even legally drunk.

See, it's extremist like you that fuel this bull****. Wake up, if your child is going to drink to the point of alcohol poisoning...there's nothing you can do about it. It's going to happen one way or another. Whether they steal it, another parent or an older friend or a bum on the street buys it for them.

Also, from the artical only a 1/3 of the kids were even taking part in drinking and 1/2 of them weren't even legally drunk.

:cheers::cheers:

Exactly you have to take responsibility if you can not teach your kids to not drink themselves to death.

TEXAS LAW:

Adults and minors who make alcohol available to minors or buy alcohol for minors:

A fine up to $2,000, confinement in jail for up to 180 days or both

Virginia Law:

it is against state law to allow (aid or abet) underage persons to possess or consume alcohol. This is a Class 1 misdemeanor and is punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a $2,500 fine.

http://www.abc.state.va.us/Education/parent2/parent2.htm

She got screwed because she gave alcohol to 8 kids, and the judge sentenced her to serve the terms consecutively.

A question for those of the opinion that the jail time is too severe ... would your opinion change if one or more of the kids who had been drinking at that party been killed or killed someone else driving home? Serious question.

BUT, in Texas, if you are 18, you can legally drink of you have a parent or guardian's permission :D

Not quite.

In Texas, non-commercial hosts, those who do not sell alcohol but provide it, are liable under law if they serve alcohol to minors. A minor, under these circumstances, is someone who is 18-years old or younger. At this time, social hosts are not liable for adults (*including 19 and 20-year olds; 19 and 20 - year olds are under the legal drinking age, but are held liable for themselves in a court of law, and are charged as adults); however, the law is controversial (other states hold the host liable) and may change at any time.

It is a crime to provide an alcoholic beverage to someone under the age of 21 unless it is the parent or adult spouse of that person. The operative word is provide.

You can not serve to ANYONE who is not YOUR child

A question for those of the opinion that the jail time is too severe ... would your opinion change if one or more of the kids who had been drinking at that party been killed or killed someone else driving home? Serious question.

Yes I think it would. Then I think the punishment would be not severe enough. Having a kegger for a son's 16th B-day = Irresponsible, stupid, and illegal letting kids drive away from that kegger = Irresponsible, stupid, illegal, and just plain WRONG.

Not quite.

In Texas, non-commercial hosts, those who do not sell alcohol but provide it, are liable under law if they serve alcohol to minors. A minor, under these circumstances, is someone who is 18-years old or younger. At this time, social hosts are not liable for adults (*including 19 and 20-year olds; 19 and 20 - year olds are under the legal drinking age, but are held liable for themselves in a court of law, and are charged as adults); however, the law is controversial (other states hold the host liable) and may change at any time.

You can legally walk into a bar and drink a beer in Texas if you have your parents or a guardian with you and they say its alright.....I didnt know about the "host" part

TEXAS LAW:

Adults and minors who make alcohol available to minors or buy alcohol for minors:

Per count most likely. So 16 counts would equal the 8 years they were initially given. And again I don't know VA law and what is able to be run concurrent. And maybe that was the max, maybe not.

There has to be at least one VA cop or lawyer that can help me here.

You can legally walk into a bar and drink a beer in Texas if you have your parents or a guardian with you and they say its alright.....I didnt know about the "host" part

That is NOT what you said in your first post. You said if you had the parent's permission. THAT is not true.

The parent MUST be with you.

I AM telling you about the host part. I KNOW you dont' know.

In the case sited.........the parents of those children were not only NOT there....they were LIED to about the drinking.

What's the problem?

This woman supplied alcohol to a large group of kids. Not only did she violate the law, but she violated the trust, and undermined the authority of those kid's parents. Did she get 8 years? No. She got 27 months which will end up being about a year in jail. Not too harsh for 9 counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

The Commonwealth of Virginia (like most states) takes crimes involving minors seriously. If The People's Republic of Maryland took crime/law enforcement matters more seriously then maybe Baltimore wouldn't be 2nd on the list of most dangerous cities with a population about 500,000.

TEXAS LAW:

Since you posted that :yikes:

I will say that allowing your own kids(and friends w/consenting parents) alcoholic beverages under adult supervision should not be a criminal offense and I would allow it even younger.

Hypothetically speaking of course :paranoid:

However the people in question did it against parents wishes and deserve punishment.

Extremist, haha. You dont know me at all I see. That is far from what I am. Except with the Redskins.

But a supposedly responsible parent is providing it for my child. It isnt my child out seeking it, it is brought to them.

Doesnt matter if they were legally drunk or not. It is not up to some other parent to decide its okay to provide alcohol to my kids. That my choice and even then under my supervision, and certainly not other peoples children.

If I had a daughter I could tell her all day not to have pre-marital sex, but that doesnt mean she wont. My parents told me lots of things that I chose to ignore, doesnt mean they were right or wrong, but I made the choice. But not when they were around.

Well, the whole point of these parties is to NOT let kids drive home, which is why she was taking their keys.

I for one am of the opinion that kids are going to drink one way or another. Doing it like this in a controlled environment, and not allowing them to drive drunk is the best situation. Otherwise, driving drunk WILL happen.

Per count most likely. So 16 counts would equal the 8 years they were initially given. And again I don't know VA law and what is able to be run concurrent. And maybe that was the max, maybe not.

There has to be at least one VA cop or lawyer that can help me here.

Since it was missed in my earlier post, and it also kind of answer's Om's question,
here's what the Commonwealth has to say:

Parental Responsibility and the Law

Some parents provide alcohol to minors at parties or fail to see the truth that alcohol use occurs. If you're a parent who is thinking about providing or allowing alcohol at a party in your home (or elsewhere) you ought to know the laws. Parents may be held responsible if someone, as a result of alcohol use:

Gets into a fight and hurts someone

Falls and hurts themselves or someone else

Sexually assaults someone

Damages property

Dies from drinking too much

Injures or kills someone while driving after leaving the party

You have a civil liability (meaning you can be sued) to pay damages if either a partygoer is hurt or a third person is injured. Virginia law recognizes your liability for negligence if you provide alcohol to a minor who causes injury to another or him/herself. You may also face criminal charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Even if the above negative situations do not occur, you may face legal charges for providing or allowing alcohol to be used by minors in your home (including your own teen). For example, it is against state law to allow (aid or abet) underage persons to possess or consume alcohol. This is a Class 1 misdemeanor and is punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a $2,500 fine. Purchasing, aiding and abetting or giving alcohol to minors is against the law.

http://www.abc.state.va.us/Education/parent2/parent2.htm

Yes, but the mom did want to take all the keys and have the kids stay there.

Extremist, haha. You dont know me at all I see. That is far from what I am. Except with the Redskins.

But a supposedly responsible parent is providing it for my child. It isnt my child out seeking it, it is brought to them.

Doesnt matter if they were legally drunk or not. It is not up to some other parent to decide its okay to provide alcohol to my kids. That my choice and even then under my supervision, and certainly not other peoples children.

If I had a daughter I could tell her all day not to have pre-marital sex, but that doesnt mean she wont. My parents told me lots of things that I chose to ignore, doesnt mean they were right or wrong, but I made the choice. But not when they were around.

It doesn't matter that they are providing what matters is how much your child CHOOSES to drink, and if you can't take resonsiblity for that then how can those parents?

It doesn't matter that they are providing what matters is how much your child CHOOSES to drink, and if you can't take resonsiblity for that then how can those parents?

Come on.

It does matter that they are providing it. Peoples tolerances, body makeups are different, and peer pressure does exist at 15-16.

Sure you would love to think you kid is responsible and trustworthy at 15-16, but at the same time they are still learning the adult decision making process. Most kids think they are invincible, most kids dont know how much they can or should drink.

There's a difference between knowing something is wrong, and knowing you'll get in trouble for it. :)

So you think she thought is was OK....but just didn't want to get in trouble?

How could she get in trouble if it wasn't wrong?

Or she thought it was wrong.......but if the kids didn't tell..........it would be ok?

If I know it is wrong......and I do it........I know I will get in trouble if caught.

Archived