Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone know if Rogers ever worked with Green and Sanders

EliMustDie28

If Rogers held his own against #1 and #2 cornerbacks last year, we would've treated the CB position as we had the last 4-5 years... We would've filled a few holes and that is it. We didn't just add bodies, we added players who can fill starting positions if they need to.

Smoot is not a replacement for Wright. Smoot is a guy to compete with Rogers for #2 this year. Macklin is a replacement for Wright and if Butler makes the team, he is another guy challenging for playing time. Either of these guys may perform as well or better than Carlos Rogers proved last year. I believe Carlos Rogers is the type of player who will relish the challenge and elevate his game. He must...

Smoot is NOT going to beat out Rogers for the #2 spot. Fred Smoot may be the most overrated Redskins player in recent memory(along with Ryan Clark). Smoot was an average #2 and people are making him out to be this great CB that we let go and now are rectifying our mistake.

Smoot is insurance for Shawn Springs. I'm pretty sure by now that the coaching staff is not relying on Springs playing 16 games. They dont want to have another Kenny Wright situation in their hands and therefore brought in a starting caliber CB. They didn't bring in an upper echelon corner, they brought in a guy that was completely owned and embarrassed the past two years in Minnesota.

David Macklin was brought in to be the nickel guy. The Skins didn't pursue Macklin that hard but rather Macklin wanted for some strange reason to be a skin and decided to sign with us for less money. He was not in to be a starter but a Nickel guy(which I think he could do a real good job for us).

The Rams CB(Butler IIRC) was brought in because the coaching staff always liked him. They tried to sign him to a big deal a couple of years ago but St.Louis matched our offer sheet. Now that injuries have derailed his career, he came cheap and the Skins brought him in, knowing they didn't have much to lose in signing him to a vet minimum contract.

Fred Smoot will NOT be starting over a healthy Carlos Rogers. It's not happening and I'm ready to put a bet on it!

This conversation has been beaten like a dead horse. Breaking down Rogers play shows he had difficulties covering ANYONE last year.

I think you should go watch the games again. Carlos was successfully able to cover the likes of TO, Steve Smith, Plaxico Burress and the Saints WRs. Carlos was nowhere near as bad as you and others are making him out to be. He was average last year in terms of coverage.

If he would've held on to the dropped picks, he would've been in the Pro Bowl. Yes, he really needs to learn how to catch a football but I think he'll improve in that area starting this year. I'm not making an excuse for the guy but one reason he was dropping those picks could've been the fact that he had screws in his thumbs(some form of injury to his hands).

And lets not forget that a sophomore slump is very common amongst NFL players. Before we start bashing the hell out of Carlos and demanding the team cut him and move on, lets give him another year to prove himself.

Smoot is NOT going to beat out Rogers for the #2 spot. Fred Smoot may be the most overrated Redskins player in recent memory(along with Ryan Clark). Smoot was an average #2 and people are making him out to be this great CB that we let go and now are rectifying our mistake.

Smoot is insurance for Shawn Springs. I'm pretty sure by now that the coaching staff is not relying on Springs playing 16 games. They dont want to have another Kenny Wright situation in their hands and therefore brought in a starting caliber CB. They didn't bring in an upper echelon corner, they brought in a guy that was completely owned and embarrassed the past two years in Minnesota.

David Macklin was brought in to be the nickel guy. The Skins didn't pursue Macklin that hard but rather Macklin wanted for some strange reason to be a skin and decided to sign with us for less money. He was not in to be a starter but a Nickel guy(which I think he could do a real good job for us).

The Rams CB(Butler IIRC) was brought in because the coaching staff always liked him. They tried to sign him to a big deal a couple of years ago but St.Louis matched our offer sheet. Now that injuries have derailed his career, he came cheap and the Skins brought him in, knowing they didn't have much to lose in signing him to a vet minimum contract.

Fred Smoot will NOT be starting over a healthy Carlos Rogers. It's not happening and I'm ready to put a bet on it!

couldnt be more right. smoot has been pretty terrible in minny, and i know he wasnt playing in a scheme that was suited to his strengths, but ill still take rogers over smoot. and this guy is dead on, smoot was brought in because our coaching staff is smart enough to know that springs cant play a full season. some of you obviously forget the team attempted to offload springs this offseason and were not successful. if they had been, theyd have gotten a draft pick or another decent player, and rogers/smoot would have been #1/2.

8 dropped Interceptions. 8 dropped interceptions...

Yep.

I don't have much of an issue with Rogers' coverage last year because the entire defence was off kilter and I don't chose to blame one guy. And it was coaching that had Rogers playing 9 yards off receivers and he didn't get burned anymore than any of our other CB's.

However. I do have an issue with his lack of hands. We needed turnovers last year and we'll need them this year. I know the old saying 'if they could catch they'd be wr's' but that's bull. Rogers had better have worked on his hand this offseason because I can't take another year of dropped game changing interceptions.

You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think Smoot will push Rogers for playing time. Smoot played exceptionally well in GW's system and he was pretty good even before that. He slumped in Minny, but that may be just that, a slump. GW said Smoot is more suited for man to man than cover 2.

Now, I really don't care which one of the two starts along side Springs, I just want it to be the best guy. I just wouldn't be surprised if it's Smoot. At least he knows how to catch the ball.

1) Carlos Rogers covered Steve Smith on very few plays during the Carolina Panthers game. After the game, Gregg Williams credited Springs for stopping Steve Smith because the gameplan was for Springs to follow Smith every play. Carlos Rogers had Keyshawn Johnson most of the game. BTW, what coach would put his physical cornerback against Steve Smith and let his speedier cornerback cover Keyshawn Johnson?

2) Fred Smoot may have "sucked" in Minnesota, but his two years there are pretty similar to Carlos Rogers two years here. When Fred Smoot was here, he was a very outstanding cornerback. Fred Smoot and Shawn Springs are both man-coverage corners who you can trust to take on #1 and #2 receivers in this league. Stick Fred Smoot in a cover-two or cover-three scheme (as they did in the Vikings) and he plays like Carlos Rogers.

3) If Carlos Rogers proves as unreliable this year as he did last year, Fred Smoot will certainly start ahead of Carlos Rogers. Already, they are competing for the position in OTAs and mini-camp. I believe both players will see a lot of action though.

4) We can say that it was the defensive lines fault for how Carlos Rogers played, but to say we can't evaluate Carlos Rogers without taking into account the defensive line is false. He dropped interceptions and gave too big of a cushion (both of these together mean he lacked confidence). Neither of those are related to defensive line play. He allowed a lot of plays to happen beneath him. Everyone comments on his PDs, but he wouldn't have had so many PDs if he had INTs (statistically speaking, INTs should count as PDs). If he converted those INTs, nobody would be criticizing his play except KC Joyner.

In summary, we still don't know what we have in Carlos Rogers. After 27 games and two full offseasons, to say that we still don't know what we have should be a major disappointment. Hopefully, he'll live up to his billing. These last two seasons were lost.

Why can't people here be honest? It's funny how people criticize Tom Carter and Fred Smoot here and say they weren't that good, but both of them were far better in their first two years than Carlos Rogers. Neither of them had really great DLines either.

rogers is a good corner. he suffered from playing too far off of receivers because we did not get any pressure. did he get torched a few times? sure, every CB in the league will get pwned a few times during the season, rogers just had a knack for making his torchings look really really bad. but he had a ton of PDs, plenty of INT chances, if he held on to 4 of those pics that he dropped, half of this board would be claiming he was a pro bowler. get him a pass rush and some super glue, rogers is a beast. no one seems to remember he might be one of the best CBs in the league in run stopping, i dont know any corners (other than clements) who hit like a mack truck. rogers can lay wood with the best of them.

Word.

Rogers willl be fine. The same phags on this board talking about how bad he is, will be clamouring to hold his jock in a year or two.

Maybe some of you haven't heard, but occasionaly it takes a few years for players to hit their stride.

Carlos Rogers has difficulty catching interceptions because he has hands of stone. It must hurt to pick your nose with stony hand! And a knuckle shuffle would be downright deadly.

Carlos has demontrated he can be a good CB, he just needs to be more consistant. He is already a decent #2.

I can't explain all those dropped balls. I hope he is working on that.

Word.

Rogers willl be fine. The same phags on this board talking about how bad he is, will be clamouring to hold his jock in a year or two.

Maybe some of you haven't heard, but occasionaly it takes a few years for players to hit their stride.

I have one question: Why are you holding his jock now when he hasn't shown anything the last two years?

And when he does finally play like the #9 pick we drafted two years ago... Metaphorically speaking, I will gladly clamor to hold his jock.

I don't know if he did but I do know he was in Redskin Park working his ass off this offseason and thats all that matters to me. I don't know if JC and Moss workout together in Miami yet but I do know JC was the hardest working Redskin this offseason and thats all that matters to me. :D

1) Carlos Rogers covered Steve Smith on very few plays during the Carolina Panthers game. After the game, Gregg Williams credited Springs for stopping Steve Smith because the gameplan was for Springs to follow Smith every play. Carlos Rogers had Keyshawn Johnson most of the game. BTW, what coach would put his physical cornerback against Steve Smith and let his speedier cornerback cover Keyshawn Johnson?

2) Fred Smoot may have "sucked" in Minnesota, but his two years there are pretty similar to Carlos Rogers two years here. When Fred Smoot was here, he was a very outstanding cornerback. Fred Smoot and Shawn Springs are both man-coverage corners who you can trust to take on #1 and #2 receivers in this league. Stick Fred Smoot in a cover-two or cover-three scheme (as they did in the Vikings) and he plays like Carlos Rogers.

3) If Carlos Rogers proves as unreliable this year as he did last year, Fred Smoot will certainly start ahead of Carlos Rogers. Already, they are competing for the position in OTAs and mini-camp. I believe both players will see a lot of action though.

4) We can say that it was the defensive lines fault for how Carlos Rogers played, but to say we can't evaluate Carlos Rogers without taking into account the defensive line is false. He dropped interceptions and gave too big of a cushion (both of these together mean he lacked confidence). Neither of those are related to defensive line play. He allowed a lot of plays to happen beneath him. Everyone comments on his PDs, but he wouldn't have had so many PDs if he had INTs (statistically speaking, INTs should count as PDs). If he converted those INTs, nobody would be criticizing his play except KC Joyner.

In summary, we still don't know what we have in Carlos Rogers. After 27 games and two full offseasons, to say that we still don't know what we have should be a major disappointment. Hopefully, he'll live up to his billing. These last two seasons were lost.

Why can't people here be honest? It's funny how people criticize Tom Carter and Fred Smoot here and say they weren't that good, but both of them were far better in their first two years than Carlos Rogers. Neither of them had really great DLines either.

no way Smoot covers #1 receivers. I watched him game after game during his initial Redskin stay: like Rogers he allowed a big cushion; he never clsoed quickly enough. he improved his last season here...but he's no top flight CB...that notion is laughable.

I have one question: Why are you holding his jock now when he hasn't shown anything the last two years?

And when he does finally play like the #9 pick we drafted two years ago... Metaphorically speaking, I will gladly clamor to hold his jock.

how will you do that wwhile you're holding Smoot's jock?

Smoot hasn't done much notable in 2 years either. Except throw one HELLUVA party.

You have confused the meanings for the words "truth" and "opinion". Rogers, in my humble opinion, was neither horrendous or great last year. He suffered some growing pains like many 2nd year corners do (Smoot, Bailey, Newman) and was not helped by the fact that we had zero pass rush plus injuries and ineffectual play by other members or the secondary, leaving him out on an island way too much.

I do however agree that accusing you of being a Cowboy fan just because you think he played poorly is silly.

:applause: :applause:

any team will have ignorant ass fans and they dont really know what they are talking about, but carlos is a good CB who was with a horrible defense last year, you can't put all of that on a 2nd year CB. Besides idiots who says carlos sucks cus he can't catch, well i hate to break itto you, but a CB is a WR who can't catch and thats why they are playing CB. Give me a break, I dont want to see anyone on here next year after rogers shows he's able to be a great CB, I dont wanna see yal riding his D**K, period.

Go be a eagles fan or maybe a cowboys fan, then you can talk crab about your team and i wont care

rogers had to give a big cushion because williams blatantly knew that we were getting 0 pass rush at all. why would he have his guys sitting in press coverage if he knew we werent going to put pressure on the cornerback? he had rogers lay back and because of it, teams knew they had a gap and could do those timed routes and complete passes against him. it was pick your poison with our defense this year.

williams isnt an idiot. he can count to 19. that is blatant proof that we were incapable of rushing the QB. when you cant bring pressure, this gives QBs time, so corners have to play off of their guys. you cant press up on WRs with no rush at all and expect defensive backs to be effective. rogers wasnt just lining up 5 to 10 yards off receivers because he wasnt confident. everyone knows williams runs the show with how our players are positioned. just ask lavar arrington.

Big difference between holding someones jock and showing due patience.

I saw a young player, who was burned at times, who was also in position to make a lot of plays - on a defense which VASTLY underachieved, top to bottom.

Why Rogers has been chosen as the official whipping boy is beyond me.

I'm simply tired of people around here constantly screaming that the sky is falling. It'll be okay. Take a deep breath. He's young, was drafted that high for a reason, and will more than likely prove to be an important cog in our defense for years to come.

If rogers catches the int thrown right to him in seatle playoff game, he scores, and we probably would have won the game... with a chance at the superbowl.

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda's though :(

Right - so lets cut him.

:rolleyes: :doh:

You are alone, man... I really don't know why this is a big deal. Carlos Rogers needs to work out with coaches, not former players. If Green came into practice and was given the authority by the coaches to help Carlos, then it would be cool. However, you can't have too many people saying different things to players like this.

I thought this was a pretty stupid idea from the start. Nobody knows the answer, but I hope the answer is 'no'.

One of the worst posts Ive ever read. The board has sunk to a new low.

So because Deion and Darrell dont have "coach" next to their name, they cant offer advice? They have nothing to provide Carlos with? 2 guys who were among the most dominant players in their position in their time...you would hope they DONT talk to Carlos?

If anything, I think its great that they arent coaches. That means they will give unedited, unbiased, pure feedback and advice to the guy, regardless of if it conflicts with what any coaches say.

Whatever Deion and Darrel eat, Carlos should eat it. Whatever they work out with, thats how I want Carlos to work out. If you were a manager at company x, you wouldnt want a young hire on your team to spend time with your biggest producer or best employee so that some of their best practices can rub off? Give me a break, this is probably the best thing that could ever happen to Rogers.

I cant believe you would imply that advice from 2 probowlers/hall of famers is actually BAD.

One of the worst posts Ive ever read. The board has sunk to a new low.

So because Deion and Darrell dont have "coach" next to their name, they cant offer advice? They have nothing to provide Carlos with? 2 guys who were among the most dominant players in their position in their time...you would hope they DONT talk to Carlos?

If anything, I think its great that they arent coaches. That means they will give unedited, unbiased, pure feedback and advice to the guy, regardless of if it conflicts with what any coaches say.

Whatever Deion and Darrel eat, Carlos should eat it. Whatever they work out with, thats how I want Carlos to work out. If you were a manager at company x, you wouldnt want a young hire on your team to spend time with your biggest producer or best employee so that some of their best practices can rub off? Give me a break, this is probably the best thing that could ever happen to Rogers.

I cant believe you would imply that advice from 2 probowlers/hall of famers is actually BAD.

What I imply is that too much advice can be a bad thing... We have former players that we currently pay to be coaches. You have to work within the framework of the system, and the whole notion that you bring in people who are completely outside the current organization to instruct a guy how to play is ludicrous. Are there things that Deion and Darrell can impart to Carlos? Yes... Will it help? Likely not. We need the current Redskins to play better within the current structure as set up by the coaches.

What is stupid about asking: We have coaches (and good ones), why bring in outside consultants who haven't played under a Gregg Williams system ever in their long (and glorious) careers? If Darrell Green and Deion Sanders were great at teaching young cornerbacks how to play the game of football, don't you think they would BE coaches? I haven't heard anywhere that they were ever interested in taking up the Carlos Rogers project... It would also be nothing more to them than a "pet-project", since neither of them would have the "investment" and "accountability" to the team that a real coach/player has. The only "stupid" thing is to automatically assume that this will workout and be great for Carlos Rogers.

Those people who relish this idea while criticizing Dan Snyder for bringing in too many coaches/consultants would be showing a bit of hypocrisy... don't you think?

If this is only some Jerry Rice offseason training programs to build up stamina and keep in shape, I'd have no problem with it.

Archived