Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Braves meet with Rainbow/PUSH officials

Duncan

Good to see Jesse keepin it real.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2007/05/07/0508bravesminority.html

Upset over the lack of African-Americans on the Braves roster, members of Jesse Jackson's Rainbow-PUSH Coalition asked for a meeting with team officials. They got one Monday.

Joe Beasley, Southern Regional Director for the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, said he and Dexter Clinkscale, the director of sports for the organization, met Monday morning for nearly two hours with Braves general manager John Schuerholz, assistant general manager Frank Wren and three other Braves officials.

The team slipped ... down to [no African-Americans]; it wasn?t something that just happened," Beasley said Monday afternoon. "I think it was a lack of diligence on the part of the Braves to recruit African-American players. There's not diminished enthusiasm for African-Americans playing baseball. It's simply the opportunity hasn't presented itself....

I am a liberal. And I think this is a Joke.

In today's modernized sport - Money is king. To make the most money, everyteam wants to win. They will sign a Murder / Rapist / Drug user if they thought it would take them to the world series.

If they have no blacks on the team, it's because the guys on the team made up the best players they could fine and agree to terms with.

Do you think Jesse will go to any NBA team that have only blacks on it?

Braves are playing well.

And its not like its completely full of nothing but white people. Edgar Renteria, Andruw Jones, Willy Aybar (DL), Willie Harris, and Brayan Pena (DL) are all on the roster.

This is pretty crazy. I thought Andruw Jones is black. No?

Anyway I dont see how its any business to Rainbow-PUSH how many black athletes are on the Braves. How many is enough? Who makes these "rules"?

Jones is from Curacao

Two guys from rainbow push were on a local sports talk show and said the two goals of the local pro teams were to win championships and represent the community. Atlanta is 50% black so the team should take that into account.

So the hosts asks him if the Hawks and Falcons should be 50% white, there is a long pause and then the guy calls them "Macon good ole boys".

Two guys from rainbow push were on a local sports talk show and said the two goals of the local pro teams were to win championships and represent the community. Atlanta is 50% black so the team should take that into account.

So the hosts asks him if the Hawks and Falcons should be 50% white, there is a long pause and then the guy calls them "Macon good ole boys".

Funny :laugh:

Braves are playing well.

And its not like its completely full of nothing but white people. Edgar Renteria, Andruw Jones, Willy Aybar (DL), Willie Harris, and Brayan Pena (DL) are all on the roster.

Jones is from Curacao

Ah thanks.

I guess that makes me a racist then. Damn:(

Good to see Jesse keepin it real.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2007/05/07/0508bravesminority.html

Upset over the lack of African-Americans on the Braves roster, members of Jesse Jackson's Rainbow-PUSH Coalition asked for a meeting with team officials. They got one Monday.

Joe Beasley, Southern Regional Director for the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, said he and Dexter Clinkscale, the director of sports for the organization, met Monday morning for nearly two hours with Braves general manager John Schuerholz, assistant general manager Frank Wren and three other Braves officials.

The team slipped ... down to [no African-Americans]; it wasn?t something that just happened," Beasley said Monday afternoon. "I think it was a lack of diligence on the part of the Braves to recruit African-American players. There's not diminished enthusiasm for African-Americans playing baseball. It's simply the opportunity hasn't presented itself....

This is the stupidest thing ever. As a lifelong Braves fan, I wasn't even aware of this until this idiot made it known that there weren't any on the roster. And im sure the Braves brass wasn't even aware of it. Because its a NON issue! This moron doesn't have anything better to do than to go down each major league roster looking for AA players? You've got to be kidding me! This is an absolute joke.

I am a liberal. And I think this is a Joke.

In today's modernized sport - Money is king. To make the most money, everyteam wants to win. They will sign a Murder / Rapist / Drug user if they thought it would take them to the world series.

If they have no blacks on the team, it's because the guys on the team made up the best players they could fine and agree to terms with.

Do you think Jesse will go to any NBA team that have only blacks on it?

Jesse is the biggest racist piece of crap walking this earth. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

This is pretty crazy. I thought Andruw Jones is black. No?

Anyway I dont see how its any business to Rainbow-PUSH how many black athletes are on the Braves. How many is enough? Who makes these "rules"?

Andruw is from Curacao. I guess he's considered Domincan. Not sure. They also have Renteria. And now they have Willie Harris. I agree. How many black players should they have, Jesse? One? The entire OF? Just the pinch hitters? What an absolute moron. And for what its worth, the Braves have one of the best records in baseball. Not like they are missing all these great "black" players, eh Jess? :rolleyes:

I honestly believe Jackson is hurting the very core of what he is trying to accomplish. He has gone far beyond what is reasonable, and people are beginning to disregard everything he says. Nobody takes him seriously anymore, and that's unfortunate because I have no doubt that there was a time when he actually did good for this country. Now, it's just publicity stunt after publicity stunt.

What amazes me is the blind faith people still have in Jesse Jackson. How many of you actually think Jackson is a reputable man? How, on earth, does this man still have a pulpit to spew his nonsense?

I don't know, man. At least around here, as this thread indicates, most of things he does and says are viewed as a complete joke. He's full of **** and I think just about everyone knows it.

You know what's weird is that there is no quote from Jesse Jackson in the article. Jesse Jackson didn't even meet with the Braves - a couple of guys named Joe Beasley and Dexter Clinkscale from the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition did ... However, the first line of the article makes sure to mention that it is "Jesse Jackson's Rainbow-PUSH Coalition," and almost every response to this post has cursed Jesse Jackson in some way ... I guess that's the way you make headlines.

In any case, I think it would have been reasonable for an organization like Rainbow-PUSH to ask the Braves if there is anything the black community can do to regenerate interest in baseball ... it shouldn't be about blaming the team for not having enough black players, but it is in the best interests of both Major League Baseball and the black community to find out why the black athletes (and black fans) have been gradually turning away from baseball.

Archived