Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Braves meet with Rainbow/PUSH officials

Duncan

If Jesse wants the Braves to have more black players maybe he should encourage more young boys to play baseball in the Atlanta area. Perhaps set up some kind of baseball camp for kids. He could easily get access to many black MLB players and I am sure they would be more than willing to help.

.... it is in the best interests of both Major League Baseball and the black community to find out why the black athletes (and black fans) have been gradually turning away from baseball.

Shut down the NFL & NBA. Baseball would then be at least 50% black.

Two guys from rainbow push were on a local sports talk show and said the two goals of the local pro teams were to win championships and represent the community. Atlanta is 50% black so the team should take that into account.

So the hosts asks him if the Hawks and Falcons should be 50% white, there is a long pause and then the guy calls them "Macon good ole boys".

If the team should be representative of the city, maybe they should come to Seattle and complain that there are too many black people playing for the Seahawks and the Sonics.

That is funny though.

In any case, I think it would have been reasonable for an organization like Rainbow-PUSH to ask the Braves if there is anything the black community can do to regenerate interest in baseball ... it shouldn't be about blaming the team for not having enough black players, but it is in the best interests of both Major League Baseball and the black community to find out why the black athletes (and black fans) have been gradually turning away from baseball.

That one's real simple. Baseball<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Football, Basketball and Hockey. If baseball didn't suck, more people would care about it. :silly:

it is in the best interests of both Major League Baseball and the black community to find out why the black athletes (and black fans) have been gradually turning away from baseball.

Why?

Do people care that, as a whole, the black community doesn't watch or participate in hockey?

I think it's in our best interest as a society to stop focusing on Black and White when there is no SPECIFIC problem. When there is a true racial problem or issue, then it should come up, be discussed etc. Digging for inequality only furthers the problem.

Utterly ridiculous.

1. There are plenty of African American players moving througn Atlanta's farm system, including here in Richmond.

2. It is common knowledge interest and participation in baseball has waned among African Americans OVERALL in the past decade, particularly at the youth level.

Shouldn't the Asian rights groups be complaining? And what about the lack of Jewish players?

Please.

You know what's weird is that there is no quote from Jesse Jackson in the article. Jesse Jackson didn't even meet with the Braves - a couple of guys named Joe Beasley and Dexter Clinkscale from the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition did ... However, the first line of the article makes sure to mention that it is "Jesse Jackson's Rainbow-PUSH Coalition," and almost every response to this post has cursed Jesse Jackson in some way ... I guess that's the way you make headlines.

So these are rouge agents that flew off the handle and contacted the Braves? Of course Jesse knows about this and endorses it.

In any case, I think it would have been reasonable for an organization like Rainbow-PUSH to ask the Braves if there is anything the black community can do to regenerate interest in baseball ... it shouldn't be about blaming the team for not having enough black players, but it is in the best interests of both Major League Baseball and the black community to find out why the black athletes (and black fans) have been gradually turning away from baseball.

Ask the Braves? The Braves are very active in the Atlanta community. Why not just hand your kid a glove and a baseball. This is definitely not what these two "gentleman" said on the radio.

They basically called the Braves a racist organization, called the hosts good ole boys (one is from Philadelphia btw), said teams couldn't win world series without black players, said the team needs to "look" like the community. One guy implied that black kids could not emulate a white ballplayer.

They of course wouldn't address applying the same standard to the NBA or NFL, which is equally absurd.

Why?

Do people care that, as a whole, the black community doesn't watch or participate in hockey?

Of course they do ... the NHL would love to market itself more to the black community. Otherwise, they wouldn't have had a discussion of the Colored Hockey League at the All-Star game this year. It's not really about caring per se, but caring about making money. Losing an entire demographic of players and fans has the potential to hurt the bottom line.
Shouldn't the Asian rights groups be complaining? And what about the lack of Jewish players?
The number of Asian players has grown tremendously in the past few years, as has the number of Hispanic players, so I doubt those groups are complaining ... I don't think the number of white players or Jewish players has probably changed much in the last couple decades.

The phenomenon with black players is unique, and I think it's worth talking about, especially since reasonable people can pretty much agree that it has NOTHING to do with racism ... it shows that even in the absence of racism, we can see clear racial disparities for cultural reasons.

So these are rouge agents that flew off the handle and contacted the Braves? Of course Jesse knows about this and endorses it.
I'm sure Jesse knows about it, but I was just remarking that it's interesting how Jesse Jackson is such a polarizing character ... a lot of people responding to this thread seem to be really focused on him.
Ask the Braves? The Braves are very active in the Atlanta community. Why not just hand your kid a glove and a baseball. This is definitely not what these two "gentleman" said on the radio.
I think I agree with you here. Rainbow/PUSH went about this all wrong. It is ridiculous to accuse the Braves of racism. If they want more blacks in baseball, the black community can do more for itself than any Major League Baseball team could do ... but I'm sure the Braves would be willing to help sponsor events in the black community if groups like Rainbow/PUSH were willing to organize. There are things that could be done here, but pointing fingers isn't going to accomplish anything.

I'm sure Jesse knows about it, but I was just remarking that it's interesting how Jesse Jackson is such a polarizing character ... a lot of people responding to this thread seem to be really focused on him.

He is the founder and president, it's not an unfounded bias. He directly or indirectly chose these representatives to be a voice for his coalition.

If Jesse wants the Braves to have more black players maybe he should encourage more young boys to play baseball in the Atlanta area. Perhaps set up some kind of baseball camp for kids. He could easily get access to many black MLB players and I am sure they would be more than willing to help.

:applause:

I don't know, man. At least around here, as this thread indicates, most of things he does and says are viewed as a complete joke. He's full of **** and I think just about everyone knows it.
That's because its the Tailgate. We are informed. :D

The rest of the world...not so informed. :(

This is a silly thing for PUSH to do.

However, from the vehemence of the responses this thread is getting, it appears that many posters equate Jesse Jackson to Adolf Hitler or something.

Which is just as silly.

Yeah, Adolph Hitler had a different style mustache.

But seriously, this all just seems like a waste of time. Like another poster said, why not contact black baseball players and have them promote programs and camps in the Atlanta area? It would be much more effective IMO.

This is a silly thing for PUSH to do.

However, from the vehemence of the responses this thread is getting, it appears that many posters equate Jesse Jackson to Adolf Hitler or something.

Which is just as silly.

Sure Predicto, it's just "silly". No harm to race relations or anything.

That one's real simple. Baseball<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Football, Basketball and Hockey. If baseball didn't suck, more people would care about it. :silly:

Baseball hardly sucks, dude. That would be that peice of crap you have in your signature.:laugh:

PUSH isn't interested in solutions, they're interested in assigning blame. They already know that the Braves are working on solutions.

http://www.ymcaatlanta.org/uploadedFiles/About_the_YMCA/Baseball%20Academy%20ground%20breaking.pdf

http://mlb.mlb.com/atl/community/baseball_academy.jsp

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070505&content_id=1947511&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Archived