Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell makes running game work

TheMostLikeThat

Who would come out on top our O or D  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who would come out on top our O or D

Good thread and nice posts gents! This is great that we're getting disrespected in the media and by other teams. That's excellent material that should be posted all over the locker room as a motivator for our guys.

On D, the pieces are coming together in the secondary and linebacker corps. The Dline is a little shaky and I think we may see some movement in the coming months there to get some depth, at least, but stable enough for the brain trust to be comfortable with it.

The offense just looks SOLID going in! I'm so excited to hear JC is working hard and with those seven games under his belt, should open up with good confidence. CP and Betts as a one two punch is awesome! The o-line is intact (may need some depth) and should be ready to go. The receiver corps should shine.

Special Teams should have another great year with Suisham, Frost, Sellers, Rock, Thrash, Jimoh and others back anchoring that unit.

This is the most excited I've been in a long time during an off-season. The coaching staff is all back and intact except for Dale Lindsey (who I didn't like anyway). The locker room is full of character guys and young talent. The free agents and draft picks appear to be smart moves. (I'm thankful we didn't get Briggs to mess up our locker room chemistry and cap situation).

I've been a fan for at least 30 years and have been there through the glory days and our current lean times. Hopefully these offseason moves will get us back where we belong!

Hail!

Decent points. Although, that does beg the question -

IF JC gets hurt, is our whole season down the tubes?

We've got depth in alot of places, but if we hafta revert to Brunell, or entrust the reigns to Bramlet or Palmer, what's going to happen to our O?

With that disparaging aside, here's to a great 2007 season, and a long summer of waiting for it to begin.

You do make some good, if not over simplified points. Betts is an above-average RB believe me, but you are also extremely right about CP being as good as he is. I cannot wait for the season to start...I hope this is our breakout year that becomes the beginning of a re-established dominating franchise

I can't wait to see what the offense can do next year. With Campbell having a whole offseason to work with Moss, Lloyd, and ARE, along with Portis coming back, healthy we should be nasty! It's going to be a fun season!!

HTTR!

I know a lot of people were giving Saunders a lot of crap, but the way I see it, it was more timing then anything else. We were coming off a playoff year and we decide to re-vamp a preatty fine offense? It didn't make much sense. Coming off of a season like we just had it would make more sense, but I don't think people are saying that Saunders is bad I think they're just saying that the timing was bad. Continuity... I'm so glad we have it this year.

I think Betts sucess was a combination of the team learning the system and Campbell coming in. I like Betts, but I believe that anyone could have ran through those holes during the second half of the season, even if Brunell was in. Joe Montana could have run through those holes and ended up with a thousand. I don't think it was just because Campbell came in. Saunders system works! Any running back in that system looks great! Look at Blaylock, when he was with KC. He played great. At KC he averages 4.5 and 5.0 ypc. Then they ship him to the Jets and he averages 3.1 and 1.7 ypc.

I can't wait until a truly great RB, like Portis, gets into the system. If healthy, he will light it up!!!! Go SKINS!!!!!

Good first post, and I agree 100%. Campbell really helps out the running game, you couple that with Portis being back and Saunders being the genius he is(anyone who maintains otherwise is just stupid, no evidence neccesary), should make for an explosive offense.

I think that the running game is going to help Jason Campbell develop greatly. In the second half of last season (without CP) every defense bit on play-action fakes b/c of Betts good play, and we were able to see Campbell throwing the deep ball amazingly.

I can't wait for this season!!

Yes I agree, I think it was the Falcons game or one game around that time of the season that I noticed our Offense ran like 5 or 6 playactions on 1 drive and not a 1 did the defense seem to be anywhere around Campbell.

Basically b/c they had to respect the run and also respect J.C.'s deep ball, so our O-line was basically blocking against the Defenses D-line, they couldn't really bring to much extra heat b/c Betts was running wild that time of the year.

Just think if our O is running that well w/ Portis and Betts playing in that part of the season.

Lets just hope our D can get back to the level we played at in 05 and we could be the sleeper team of the year(like the Saints of last year), especially since the media is writing us off b/c we didn't make the " big splash " in FA or the draft. I can't wait to upset some teams this year. Bring it Patriots! lol

:point2sky

Many people, including analysts, were making that point. He has a big arm and we have a couple deep threats (or at least one), so teams must respect that. Imagine Campbell with an entire offseason and camp to work on timing and routes n' such. Things will certainly be better than last year. Campbell has something to prove, and although he has a quiet way about him he doesn't get rattled. That's sooooo important and unlike a guy like E. Manning who is not the most vocal guy but he also gets timid and rattled. Campbell doesn't, period. He trusts his line and he stands in there most of the time. I like his chances. Many think he's a flop waiting to happen, but he's got "guts." :)

Another thing overlooked about Campbell, he's really good with the ball (ballfakes, pumps) in the Peyton Manning vein -- makes him valuable for both running and passing games. I've waited years for the Redskins to have a guy who was nifty with the ball. Campbell is.

I think we have some great potential this year on offense. Like many posters the question is the defense. This being said I am REALLY concerned about losing Dockery and basically not replacing him. Now, in now way do I think it the FO's fault for this as he simply cost too much so I am not complaining about the team losing him like its their fault but I think it could be a major problem this year. Anyone interested in Adruzzi? Just released from Cleveland. I am so uncomfortable with that leftguard spot. That question mark, the Kicker, and Brandon Lloyd offensively is what I am really interested in seeing. :eaglesuck

I hope the run game continues into a lethal system. Mike Sellers is one of my favorite guys on the team for his selfless play but I would love to see the Saints approach and feature Betts and Portis in the backfield periodically for run and pass plays and work double screens with them two b/c Al did show that play at least twice mid-late season with good results. And show that a few times bomb it out to Moss to keep 'em honest.

it aint gonna mean squat if our defense isn't fixt.

Luckily it doesnt get any worse than last season. Depth surely was added this offseason and though no DL was drafted the addition of Fletcher and Rocky progressing- gives us depth most teams dont have since we got Marshall too which should give an added lift to our special teams which is no real slouch to begin with. I will buy the hype Gibbs is selling about Golston, Montgomery having strong offseasons. I think the playing time and recognition to Golston so early last season gave him a taste and his pride doesnt want to let the city down. So most holes were patched, injuries healed up, turnovers have to come our way, I think we will see a huge turnaround and get a legitimate chance to make a productive season.

The Portis injury took alot of air out of the team and fellas lets rejoice Ramsey is gone and Brunell will not be touching the ball. It doesnt get any better than that.

Lets go out get ahead of the division and not look back.

What up fellow Skins fans, long time reader, first time poster. I just want to express something I don't think people realize, especially fans from other teams around the league. Last sesaon, when Betts all of a sudden became a beastly running back towards the end, it was not because he just became nasty, but rather cus Campbell was in. With Brunell, teams knew there was no vertical threat, thus they could stack the box like crazy. With Campbell in, teams start to respect our downfield passing threat, and the result is Betts runs for 1000 yards. Al Saunders offense does work guys, its fact. Priest was never a beast until he was in it. No running game will work with Brunell in. I cannot wait to see Portis in with Campbell. He is going to run WILD because despite what some people may want to believe, Betts is not half the back CP is. Our offense is gonna fry next year, and you will all realize Al Saunders really is an offensive genius. HAIL!

This is nothing new and was debated ad nauseum last year. And it's complete nonsense. What was the reason Portis broke the Redskins rushing record a couple years ago with Brunell at QB? Was it Brunell??? Yeah, I didn't think you'd think so.

There is no defense in the league that fears JC right now. It's just absurd to keep pushing this clearly flawed "logic." Why is it that Dan Marino never had a running game? He was pretty damned good at throwing the ball deep. There is more to the running game than having a QB throw the ball deep.

And I guess you missed the Dallas game two years ago when Brunell threw the ball to Moss deep a couple times to win the game. Just how many deep balls did JC complete last year? What was his average per attempt?

And no, I'm not saying Brunell is better than JC or anything like that, but to give the credit of the great job Betts and the OLine did last year to JC is ludicrous.

Hail,

H

Nice first post, and welcome.

Absolutely the offense has the potential to scare a lot of people. A healthy CP was able to set franchise records rushing behind our OL without a consistent downfield passing game. It's hard not to get excited over the prospect of what he can do WITH one.

It's also exciting to consider what Santana Moss might be able to do. Here's a guy who set a franchise record for receiving yards in a season just 2 years ago working with a veteran with clear downfield limitations. What he might be able to do with a guy who can get it downfield with the best of them is as intriguing a subplot as there is to the coming season.

Also wanted to mention the effect this potentially potent offense could have on the other side of the ball. I hope not too many fans still don't understand the correlation. You convert a higher percentage of 3rd downs, the D stays fresher. You actually play with an lead, you can be more aggressive on D. You can consistently escape bad offensive field position and at least drive close to midfield, you allow your defense to play more aggressively with the opposition starting deep in their own end rather than out close to midfield.

Having a QB who can command the respect of opposing defenses with his arm (both strength and accuracy) changes the entire picture. We've not had that with any consistency since Rypien's brief flirtation with greatness more than 15 years ago. If Campbell proves to be the guy I think he is, we're about to be reminded in very stark terms just how crucial legitimate NFL-caliber quarterbacking is to an entire franchise.

Archived