Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For post 3K, a little optimism

GrimReefa

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm going to miss the Campbell avatar...

You know folks, I don't quite get it. The prevailing sense on this message board seems to be, "we're doomed." Doomed to another double-digit loss season this year, doomed to be a miserable team as long as we don't have a GM, or as long as The Dan is running ther team, or whatever else.

I can see where it comes from. Last year was an unmitigated disaster. The defense played like they had never seen an NFL snap before. The offense was immobile at times. The NFL Draft didn't offer us much hope, either, since we had, perceputally, many holes and not many picks with which to fill them.

But you know what? Last season was the perfect storm of misfortune and bad circumstances, if you will. The best player on our offense injured his shoulder on the first series of the preseason, and was never 100% after that. Our QBs age caught up with him in a hurry, and he wasn't able or willing to make the throws our offensive corrdinator required of him. Which brings me to another point - the team was learning an entirely new offensive scheme this year, which meant not only did our personnel have to adjust to coach Saunders' scheme, but coach Saunders' scheme had to adjust to our personnel. And, to top it all off, a QB who hadn't yet seen any significant NFL action was thrown in the mix right around the time we lost CP for good. And despite all of that, the offense still looked effective by the time last season ended.

And the defense - well, if you thought CP's injury was devestating, how about the injuries to Cornelious Griffin, Marcus Washington, Joe Salave'a, Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, etc., etc. We knew that depth was an issue on the team, what we didn't know is that nearly every player of importance was going to miss a significant amount of time, all in the same season. Some of the d-linemen are aging, true, and a few injuries had to be expected, but nothing like what happened last year.

People on this board, and in the media, have viewed this offseason as some kind of disaster, but I don't see it. Roster turnover was kept to a minimum - if there was one wish I could ask for to be granted about this offseason that would be it - make a few strategic acquisitions, sure, but don't overhaul the team AGAIN. What we needed was stability, not another wave of free agents to come in and have to be inegrated into the team and the system. And that's exactly what we got. The two real weak links on last season's defense, Warrick Holdman and Kenny Wright, are gone, and the two guys we got to replace them, London Fletcher and Fred Smoot, are real players. The draft provided a couple of solid special teams players and some quality young depth at linebacker, which was sorely lacking last season. And not to mention LaRon Landry, one of the three guys - Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson being the others - from this draft who are ready to step in and immediately become impact players.

"Oh, but the D-Line, the D-Line! Woe is the D-Line, we won't be able to stop anybody!" Well, like I mentioned, the D-Line went through a series of injuries last season that would have crippled any defense in football. At some point pretty much every impact player was out with injury, and the lone notable exception, Andre Carter, was obviously struggling to readapt to a position he hadn't played in a few seasons. What was just as obvious as Carter's early struggles was his late-season success. Unless he hits his head this offseason and forgets how to play DE again, we can expect to see more of the guy who had sacks in 4 of his last 5 games last season, as opposed to the guy who had sacks in 2 of his first 11.

And besides, is this not essentially the same defensive line we saw in '04 and '05, when the Skins put together top 5 units? Sure, Griffin and Salave'a and Daniels are a bit older now, but so are the two reserve tackles who stepped in and played pretty well for rookies last season. And if Carter can be a double-digit sack guy next year, this line will have something that those two defenses did not have.

If nothing else, the fact that two of the three defensive units have been markedly improved should drastically affect the performance of the defense. And the fact that our QB will be going through an enitre offseason, training camp, and preseason as the no doubt #1 guy, coupled with the learning curve the entire offense is on, this offense should be much better as well. So you can keep saying that we're doomed if you want to. I just think you may be missing the big picture, here.

:helmet:

People on this board, and in the media, have viewed this offseason as some kind of disaster, but I don't see it. Roster turnover was kept to a minimum - if there was one wish I could ask for to be granted about this offseason that would be it - make a few strategic acquisitions, sure, but don't overhaul the team AGAIN. What we needed was stability, not another wave of free agents to come in and have to be inegrated into the team and the system. And that's exactly what we got. The two real weak links on last season's defense, Warrick Holdman and Kenny Wright, are gone, and the two guys we got to replace them, London Fletcher and Fred Smoot, are real players. The draft provided a couple of solid special teams players and some quality young depth at linebacker, which was sorely lacking last season. And not to mention LaRon Landry, one of the three guys - Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson being the others - from this draft who are ready to step in and immediately become impact players.

:helmet:

:applause: :applause: :applause: STABILITY Ive been asking for it for years.

I also believe that Carter is going to really come into his own this year.

The future's so bright... :cool:

I voted that we'll be a SuperBowl contender..Yes im a homer.

I'll join the two of you. We had some very bad breaks last year. This is the season where everything goes right for us. Even if we do get beat, Taylor and Landry are going to make sure the opposing team earns it. Catch the ball down the middle at your own risk. Lloyd will be much better, Randle el will be utilized more. This could be a great year.:cheers:

:applause: :applause: :applause: STABILITY Ive been asking for it for years.

I also believe that Carter is going to really come into his own this year.

The future's so bright... :cool:

This comment is a riot when placed next to your spinning skeleton in your SIG. :)

Probably wasn't intended that way but...

i can see us easily going 9-7. we made some big improvements in the secondary and with our linebackers. dline isn't that big of a concern because in williams's scheme the dline isn't asked to put all the pressure on the qb. he loves to blitz and we have some players now that should be able to do that. i agree that injuries were the main problem with our defense last year. even with an again defense its tough to go from a top 10 defense to second worst in one season. i think getting portis back next year will also help because it will help take pressure off campbell and maybe our offense will be able to keep our defense on the sideline alot. im so pumped for next season to start cuz i have a feeling its going to be a good one! (not that i don't always think that lol)

HTTR!

I also am optimistic (as usual before the season starts). Some say that overcoming a bad situation makes you stronger. I hope that is the case with the Redskins. I expect the offense to really shine. I think Jason will be much more relaxed and in-tune with his receivers and the play-book will be much more familiar to him. I think that Al Saunders is much more familiar with his players and will have game plans that are very productive.

If the defense can stay reasonably healthy I think we have the players that can be really good again. With more focus on turnovers and return to hard hitting blitzing defense I expect the turnover ration to be in our favor.

Finally I trust Joe Gibbs will be more directly involved with all phases and his influence will have the entire organization pumped to turn this team around.

With this being the 2nd year in Al Saunders system and Jason Campbell with 7 games under his belt this should be a much better season than last. Not only will our offense be better, but our defense should be back to 05 and maybe even 04 form. As long as we remain healthy in key spots we should have 10 or 11 wins this season.

Join the club, I've been trying to get people to buy into some of your points for months, but most don't hear you, I, or even Gibbs for that matter. We live a a "Now" world and nothing matters even if things are nearly impossible to make right. There was no way we were going to have a winning season last year. After game 4 we were in major trouble. Hell, once Portis, Prioleau, Springs went down, the snowball was coming down the mountain. People want to ignore that? Fine, but if we're healthy this year, look out for a bunch of professional athletes with talent that have something to prove. I'm thinking .500 this year, maybe slightly above. We've gotta' give Campbell a full year as the starter. I'll be happy with a .500 season and a possible Wild Card berth. Anything more would be icing. Nice Post!

HTTR

Archived