Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Un)Official Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Thread

@DCGoldPants

i have to put this quote up here just becuase..... (you'll understand when you read it)

Now if Coach Gibbs can deal with Dexter Manley then I say we bring him in. I read up on him on cbssportline a while ago and they cite character issues... Dexter anyone.

Academic ineligibilty means nothing to me. Once again, Remember Mr. Manley. Who cares if he can't read it doesn't matter, this aint college.

"Thomas get quarterback, Coach!"..... Good enough for me. Welcome to the Pro's!!

manley was a head case but a great player, gibbs can handle this guy i think, and if he cant, cut him and no harm no foul

This is my Free Agent Big Board (in order by positions of need):

Defensive End:

1. Xavier Jackson 6' 3'', 273 4.82 Round 6 Missouri

Big and skilled with major room for improvement. Can beat blockers to point of attack. Holds ground and flashes the upper-body strength to shed blocks. Takes sound angles to ball and closes down cutback lanes. Powerful tackler.

Lacks ideal range and isn't a sideline-to-sideline defender. Stiff in space and limited athletically. Takes too long to change direction, hasn't shown many double moves and rarely forces linemen to re-direct. Lacks explosiveness to turn the corner.

2. Noland Burchette 6' 2'', 259 4.69 Round 5 Virginia Tech

Hardworking and aggressive with good instincts and toughness. Flies around the field and makes plays on effort alone. Adequate initial burst. Relentless pass-rusher. Seals offthe backside and pursues the run down the line.

Hindered by injuries. Lacks ideal size, speed and athleticism. Lacks the base to consistently anchol when teams run at him. Can't turn the corner as a perimeter pass-rusher.

3. Mkristo Bruce 6' 5'', 260 5.10 Round 6 Washington State

With a quick first step and fine anticipation skills, makes it difficult for O-linemen to get into position. Tall with long arms. Rarely gets knocked to the ground. Good lateral mobility, uses hands well and flashes effectively double moves. Relentless pass rusher who looks to strip the ball.

Not too much upside here. Gets stuck in first geat when trying to turn the corner and doesn't have much closing speed. Lacks ideal lower-body strength and isn't a powerful ball-rusher. Undersized, players too high at times.

Offensive Guard:

1. Tim Duckworth 6'3'', 304 5.51 Auburn

Classic road-grader in running game. Big and physical, with above-average strength. Mauls foes at point of attack. Uses size and lower-body power to anchor vs. powerful bull-rushers. Experienced.

Struggles to reach second level and hit moving targets in space. Not a natural knee-bender and can't mirror-and-slide vs. more athletic pass-rushers. Overextends in pass pro, and must improve feet and awareness.

2. Mike Jones 6'5'', 294 5.41 Round 5 Iowa

Savvy blue-collar type with experience at OG and both OT spots. Uses good footwork and hand placement to neutralize bigger, stonger defenders. Fights to the finish. Good initial burst and solid angles as run-blocker. Uses long arms to maintain separation in pass-pro. Vocal leader w/ solid work ethic.

Lacks elite physical qualities. Tall and lean with limited range. His weak lower body and skinny base make him a poor anchor against powerful bull-rushers. Needs help moving two-gap defensive linemen.

3. Nathan Bennett 6'4'', 300 5.40 Round 6 Clemson

Enough size potential and smarts to develop into reserve. Great wingspan and the frame to get bigger. Adept with blocking angles, footwork and hand placement. Good first setp. Plays with mean streak, gets good leverage in pass pro and ferrets out stunts and blitzes.

Shortfall of base and bulk allows bull-rushers to knock him back too frequently in pass pro. Struggles driving bigger two-gap DTs off line on running plays. Lacks mobility, plays too high at times and struggles to shuffle laterally.

Defensive Tackle

1. Jeremy Clark 6'2'', 306 5.00 Round 6 Alabama

Gets out the most out of his tools by playing with good technique and effort. Will clog some holes and make a few plays near the line of scrimmage vs. the run. Adequate size and good quickness. At his best on the move. Very instinctive and does a good job finding the ball. Reads blocks well.

Lacks great lower-body strength and will get pushed around by bigger

O-linemen. Limited range in run pursuit and doesn't provide many big plays vs. the run or pass. Lacks ideal change-of-direction skills and the closive burst to be an effective pass-rusher.

2. Walter Thomas 6'4'' 359 5.35

Thomas is big enough to occupy multiple blockers at the line of scrimmage and can protect undersized linebackers. Shows above-average lower-body strength, stays balanced and rarely gives ground when he gets into good position. Has strong upper body, active hands and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Moves well for his size and can make the occasional play in pursuit. Drives legs once in position and is an effective bull rusher who can collapse the pocket. He is tall and is capable of deflecting passes when he gets hands up.

Only played one full year of collegiate football and left school a year early. Is raw and there are concerns about his ability to pick up new schemes. While adequate in both areas, he doesn't have elite closing speed or initial quickness and shouldn't be as effective rushing the passer at the next level as he was in college. His ability to keep his weight down is a concern, as he hasn't had to stay in playing shape the past two seasons and could wear down if asked to play an every-down role. Doesn't play with a great motor and appears to give up on plays at times.

3. Ola Dagunduro 6'1'', 295 5.05 Round 7 Nebraska

Shows decent initial quickness, he can beat blockers to the point off attack and flashes the ability to anchor against the run. Flashes a powerful punch, hands are active and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Keeps head up, shows good awareness and locates the ball carrier quickly. Works to the whistle and takes sound pursuit angles. Takes the shortest path to the quarterback, shows adequate lower body strength and flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. Moves well laterally and runs lines stunts well.

Plays a little too high, doesn't have great size and can get driven back when blockers gets under pads. Lacks ideal top-end range, has some problems slipping blocks in space and isn't a sideline-to-sideline player. Doesn't use hands to protect legs, lacks ideal balance and can get knocked to the ground by cut blocks. Isn't explosive enough to regularly shoot the inside gap and doesn't show great closing speed when gets a clear path to the quarterback. Takes too long to change directions and doesn't show a variety of pass rush moves. Doesn't do a great job of getting hands up when doesn't get to the quarterback, isn't very tall and isn't going to get hands on a lot of passes.

Cornerbacks

1. Tavarous Bain 6'2'' 175 4.45 Round 5 Hampton

Developmental prospect with the speed, agility and frame to develop into every-down CB. Explodes out of cuts and flashes ability to mirror receivers underneath. Shows the range to cover the deep ball. Wraps up in space. Dangerous open-field runner with experience returning and covering kicks.

Raw. Lacks ideal bulk and upper-body strength. Needs more of a mean streak. Gets pushed around at times and struggles to slow receivers at the line. Takes too long to shed blockes and doesn't offer much in run support.

2. Kenny Scoot 6'1'', 172 4.50 Round 4 Georgia Tech

Tall enough to match up 1 on 1 with NFL WRs. Fine top-end spped. At his best when playing with cushion. Good closing burst on throws in front of him. Makes uup lots of ground when the ball's in the air. Wraps up in space.

Too lean and a bit high-cut. Must add weight and strength w/out losing quickness. Gets pushed around and has trouble disengaging from blocks. At times opens hips too early, making him vulnerable underneath.

3. Anthony Airline 6'2'' 199 4.51 Baylor

Uses hands fairly well, flashes the ability to slow receivers down at the line of scrimmage and opens hips well when turns to run with the receiver. Shows good athletic ability for size and flashes the ability to change directions quickly. Though doesn't have great range, uses long arms to tip passes away when get into ideal position. Times jumps fairly well and is tall enough to compete for jump balls. Has adequate ball skills and flashes big-play ability.

Isn't fast enough to run with most receivers and needs to give receivers a healthy cushion when doesn't get help over the top. Though footwork is generally sound, doesn't burst out of cuts and should have problems staying with explosive receivers. Lacks ideal instincts, is vulnerable to double moves and lacks the second gear to recover when gets caught out of position. Fails to read quarterback's eyes at times, isn't aggressive enough and doesn't jump routes. Takes too long to diagnose plays, doesn't take sound pursuit angles and doesn't always fill hard against the run.

Source: Espn NFL Draft Guide 2007

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is it for now. I'll add some more tomorrow when I have more time. There are plenty of good prospects available that we can grab and hopefully 1 or 2 will make the team.

Put an APB out on any Guard that didn't get drafted and thinks he was overlooked and can play in this league. Those that are wise will see that their best oppurtunity to make an NFL squad is with the Redskins, who have a Tackle penciled in as the starter. The same goes for DE and DT.

Big, dumb criminal... that can do a backflip.

Dumb? I think YOU added that assessment of him. There were a lot of people actually draft by top teams with blemishes on their resumes. I think were could take a chance on a UNDRAFTED free agent at least. The kid demands double teams because of his sheer size alone. Someone will give him a shot. He can be a situational type guy. I love how everyone points fingers and judges as if they've never ****ed up and were never deserving of a second chance at life. :doh: I mean if he acts up again then we just cut him, simple. And we would have lost nothing.

Dumb? I think YOU added that assessment of him.

Actually, I added that assessment of him.

He was declared academically ineligible from Oklahoma State. Then, when he got another chance to play football at NW Miss Community College, played two (losing) games before becoming academically ineligible there.

(And it's a joke. I hung that label on the guy, and I wanted us to draft him in the 6th. I'm one of his supporters.) :)

LOL, this guy is becoming a legend and he hasnt even signed with anyone yet!

Hey, this is the Skins.

Where third-string, situational players have fan clubs. (See: Rock Cartwright.)

:)

Somebody should let the guy know: He's already got a fan club in Washington. People who're pulling for him to make the team.

(Granted, his fans use terms like "big, dumb, criminal". But they use smileys.)

Archived