Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USC LB Dallas Sartz (Merged)

RWJ

i think people are overeacting over this pick, from that evaluation he sounds like a possible solution as an adequate pass rusher, of course with a little work. honestly people are acting as if we just passed up reggie white. this is the 5th round, nothing is guaranteed, same with every other round. if this guy is being compared to jason taylor and adalius thomas, thats fine by me. now im not saying he is going to be the ****, but please, at least see how things go in training camp and during games to judge this player.

It seems like no matter who gets picked by the skins, this message board will be upset....too many armchair GM's around here...I think we should have a little faith in our FO as they go through day 2...I am sure that many of the people scratching their heads over this pick have never seen the dude play. For all we know, this could be a diamond in the rough. I think the skins may convert Sartz to a DE....I am loving the versatility that Sartz could possibly bring to the table for the Skins...anyways, lets see how we do in round 6....

Strikes me as a guy who can com ein and wina roster spot based on his ability to play on the special teams coverage units and then get the chance to develop into a role on the D with a couple of years development.

Not an exciting pick but a guy who can contribute and who may develop and you get lucky. About all you can hope for in the 5th round.

Been a long wait from the #6 pick to this to get a guy who can play teams though ..........

who the heck is he?

Player Photo Dallas Sartz

Height: 6-5

Weight: 235

Position: Outside Linebacker

College: Southern California

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange

OVERVIEW

Another in a long line of standout linebackers to perform for the Trojans, Sartz's size, strength and range have drawn comparisons to former USC great Duane Bickett, who was a 1985 first-round choice by the Indianapolis Colts and enjoyed a 12-year pro career.

Sartz comes from a sports-oriented family. His grandfather, also named Dallas, was a Golden Gloves boxer at Washington State and a professional hydroplane racer. His father, Jeff, played safety at Oregon State.

Sartz was a 2001 Prep Star All-America, Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-Western Region, Tom Lemming All-West and Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West second-team selection at Granite Bay High School. He added Tacoma News Tribune Western 100 and Sacramento Bee All-Sacramento first team as a senior defensive back and tight end. He was also a National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete.

As a senior, Sartz recorded 103 tackles, including four for losses, two interceptions, seven pass deflections, two fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and six blocked kicks. As a junior in 2000, he made 81 tackles, including four sacks, six interceptions and four forced fumbles.

He also was on Granite Bay's track team, with bests of 11.1 seconds in the 100-meters, 14.47 in the 110-meter high hurdles, 39.7 in the 300-meter intermediate hurdles and 20-plus in the long jump, while also competing in the high jump, shot put and 400-meters. He also lettered in basketball, earning all-league honors.

Sartz enrolled at Southern California in 2002, seeing action mostly on special teams and as a reserve outside linebacker as a true freshman. He made eight tackles (five solos) with a stop for a loss, an interception and a pass deflection.

In 2003, he shared strongside outside linebacker duties with Matt Grootengoed, starting the final six games. He went on to record 60 tackles (32 solos) with two sacks and six stops for losses. He also blocked a kick and batted away four passes.

With Grootengoed having graduated, Sartz started all 13 games at strongside linebacker, helping the team capture its second consecutive national title. The All-Pac 10 Conference honorable mention honoree posted 48 tackles (22 solos) with 3.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage and a forced fumble. He deflected six passes and intercepted another.

Primed for a banner senior year in 2005, Sartz delivered eight tackles (six solos) with a pair of sacks in the team's first two games. But he suffered a left shoulder dislocation against Arkansas and was forced to miss the rest of the season.

Sartz used a medical hardship for 2005 so he could return in 2006. The defensive captain picked up honorable mention All-Pac 10 accolades as he finished third on the team with 70 tackles (41 solos). He led the team with seven sacks and was credited with 9.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He batted down five passes, caused one fumble and recovered two others.

In 53 games at Southern California, Sartz started 34 times at strongside outside linebacker. He registered 194 tackles (106 solos) with 12.5 sacks for minus-71 yards and 22.5 stops for losses of 101 yards. He caused two fumbles and recovered two others. He blocked one kick, had 16 pass deflections and gained 30 yards on a pair of interception returns.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a tall, angular frame with room to add more bulk without losing any of his quickness … Has developed chest and arm muscles with a good bubble and tapered thighs, long arms and adequate playing strength … Self-motivated player with great character and work ethic … Plays at a high intensity level and is a favorite of the coaching staff because of his team-first attitude … Aggressive tackler who has the good pad level and leg drive to step up and take on the lead blocker in attempts to plug the rush lanes … Lacks ideal hip swerve, but shows a good burst to close on plays in front of him … Builds to top speed nicely and won't take false steps in transition, doing a nice job of accelerating out of his breaks … Plays until the whistle and won't back down from a challenge, even when his multiple moves fail … Shows good hand placement, extension and punch in shedding and keeping blockers off his body … Has just adequate instincts, but is quick to react once he locates the ball … Despite his lanky frame, he knows how to sink his weight, put his foot in the ground, and combat with his hands in attempts to stack the lead blocker … Has the long arm reach to maintain separation from offensive linemen and keeps his pads low to gain leverage … Delivers a punishing hand punch to tight ends to jam them at the line … Has the speed to reach ball carriers on the outside and the acceleration to be a decent blitzer coming off the edge … Knows how to widen the blocker and separate to make plays in space … Has the chase speed to cut off the outside runner and shows good urgency trying to chase the runner down in the open … Has that explosive leg drive and hip strike to push back single blockers when shooting the inside gaps … More of a straight-line charger coming off the edge than one who can smoothly redirect, but is effective running stunts due to his quickness … Not a natural hands catcher, but did show better timing with his leaps to compete for the ball at its high point in 2006 … Good hustler with nice timing on the blitz, knowing which angles will let him take the shortest path to the quarterback … Has good quickness on the chase playing on the special team coverage units … Conscious of cut blocks, doing a nice job of sidestepping them or using his hands to fend them off.

Negatives: Better in-the-box tackler, as he tends to get too tall in his stance when working down the line … When he gets too erect in his forward charge in attempts to plug the rush lanes, the lead blocker is able to get underneath and into his chest to ride him out … Not a consistent wrap-up tackler, as he is prone to grabbing and dragging down rather than getting into position to wrap and secure … Bit of a liability in man coverage, as he lacks the loose hips and lateral agility to re-direct and recover when beaten … His insistence on over-powering his man has led to some tough times trying to disengage from blocks when working through traffic … Adequate in covering backs and tight ends in the short-area passing game, but lacks depth and hip smoothness in his pass drops and needs to do a better job of anticipating the pass (doesn't get his head turned around properly) … Good edge rusher, but if he has to re-direct, he lacks the plant-and-drive agility to close on the pocket … Needs to improve his hand technique in pass protection, as he tends to maul the receiver, drawing costly pass interference calls.

Compares To: Carlos Emmons, ex-New York Giants -- Sartz has a tall, angular frame with the long arms to fend off single blocks … He is more effective playing inside the box than in space due to hip stiffness and is a bit of a liability in pass coverage … He plays with a steady motor and, while he lacks instincts, he is quick to close on the ball once he locates it … He showed in 2006 that he can be an effective edge blitzer, and with improved strength, he won't have problems with the outside runners at the next level … He is not really much of a playmaker, but will put forth a solid blue-collar job and adds to his resume with his ability to play on the special teams coverage units.

INJURY REPORT

2005: Dislocated his left shoulder early in the first quarter of the Arkansas game (Sept. 17), missing the team's final 11 games.

2006: Held out of most of spring drills to allow his shoulder to recover … Missed several practices leading up to the Arizona State game (Oct. 14) with a knee sprain … Sat out several practices (Dec. 24) leading up to the 2007 Rose Bowl due to a hip strain.

AGILITY TESTS

Campus: 4.71 in the 40-yard dash … Bench pressed 225 pounds 16 times … 360-pound bench press … 500-pound squat … 285-pound power clean … 33½-inch vertical jump … 9-foot-4 long jump … 33½-inch arm length … 9 1/8-inch hands … Ambidextrous.

Combine: 4.72 in the 40-yard dash … 1.65 10-yard dash … 2.75 20-yard dash … 33½-inch vertical jump … 9-foot-3 broad jump … 4.13 20-yard shuttle … 11.34 60-yard shuttle … 6.85 three-cone drill … Bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times.

At least you get it. :)

it doesn't take a genius to see we don't even have enough bodies to rotate right now. If Marcus doesn't heal well we are in trouble.

Sartz looks like a decent pick. He is a big guy, pretty quick, got some decent sack numbers. Sounds like the knock is he plays with too much finesse at times. You can fix that with coaching.

i was a little confused at the pick originally and wouldn't have mind breaston if the cards didn't take him right in front of us, but after thinking about it, we do need some more depth at LB and gibbs seems comfortable with goldstein and montgomery as young dline men.

he's a situational guy that gregg loves, he can line up in nickle packages over an end or blitz off the edge, so all in all i don't think it's that bad of a fifth round pick at this point.

]']I'm sure everyone here knows more about these guys than our FO. I'll take Sarts if our FO thinks he's good. Look at last year' date=' our FO took Montgomery and Golston, and they both look rediculously promising.[/quote']

I think they got confused.....

They thought LineMen were LineBackers.

Just a question...do you guys ever get tired of whining? Regardless of who you may think we need I can assure you the Redskins staff has done far more research and homework on these players, as well as considered what the other options are than you have. You should trust we are making the right decisions instead of jumping the gun and complaining before putting some thought into it. You don't have the resources, qualifications, or knowledge to understand what our situation and best options are. Take our picks for what they are and don't be so quick to judge without seeing how they end up playing out.

Great question, jeez. Most of the whiners, annoyingly, are people who know next to nothing about the guys being selected.

Why take a D Lineman in the 5th who more than likely will not play, when you can take a backer to help the team this year on special teams?

Some of you people act like taking any defensive lineman down here will make our defensive line so much better this year (which is old, but will be better with Big Joe and Griffin healthy to go along with Golston and Andre Crater whose a beast), wait and see what happens with June 1 cuts and then wait till next year...

I've watched him play before, he's a fast linebacker. I guess I can understand, but I would have rather taken Ben Patrick or a defensive end.

I'm with you. When I saw Ben Patrick fall to us without having to trade up I was ecstatic. Then they take a LB. I trust our scouts but right now I'm so pissed I can't see straight. Patrick was rated by many as a low 2nd round pick. He is rated as the best blocking TE in the draft and would compliment Cooley great. I would have rather had Mason Crosby than another LB that is a long shot to make the team. This pick reminds me of Simon and Havner from last year.

Yes we did. Check the depth at LB on the roster.

WashingtonTrucksMarshallMcIntoshCampbellFletcher

You have 3 starters there. Two of which have an injury issue. And one guy, Marshall, that's ok at two positions.

The ONLY issue I have with our first two picks so far is that one is named 'Landry' & the other one is named 'Dallas'. Will the next guy share a name with one of the Triplets? :doh:

We just need to pick up a DE named Staubach and we're all set....

WTF?!!??!?!?

We didn't need another ****ing LB.

WE need DL yet we still dont address it. Walter Thomas should have been our pick.

Well if you look at this guys strengths, he is exactly what we need, and if he adds some bulk he could easily play DE. He is a good edge rusher and doesn't take plays off. Remember Gibbs will always choose the blue collar type player w/ high character, especially in the later rounds. I like the pick!

Archived