Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we get a D-Linemen now???

Failing2BOptimistic

I'm happy with our defensive line to the extent I prefer taking the better player at a GREATER position of need like Landry presented to us. If Okoye was the better player and Landry was there, I'd have wanted Okoye. But, he wasn't. Those of you who wish we took the lesser player are just being goofy.

As for the line, it is built well for what it is asked to do. It is asked to play a style that limits individual numbers for team glory. And, that style works, and has worked everywhere Williams has been. We added three young or rookie players last year along the defensive line. We'll probably add a couple more next year. But, no one would have provided us the likely player to fill a need that anyone we picked in this draft would have. We aren't cutting one of our current guys for a prospect this year. Next year, sure, but not this year.

See Art understands, we have added how many lineman since the 05 season? Why would adding another D-lineman make since when we already have how many?

Like I said, and Art has said now, maybe next year. But we would still have to cut a current d-lineman or trade him away to add.

We can win w/ a good running game and good linebacker and secondary play, just like we did in 05. We don't have to have a Top D-lineman to win games, look at our playoff season, we didn't lead the league in sacks, but we won a playoff game, didn't we?

maybe next year we may add some lineman, but we would also have to let some go b/c look how many we have on the roster now.

I wouldnt have a problem with letting any of them go. With the exception of Golston, and maybe Carter, any other lineman on the roster is expendable so long as a suitable replacement is brought in.

So good LB and safeties means you win the NFL? Why then, haven't the Ravens been as sucessful the last few years?

The Colts who won the superbowl, only had 1 great S and another decent one, but had great Dlineman. The Patriots have great Dlineman. The Bears' only weakness on D was the the DT after Harris got hurt and Safety and still made it to the superbowl.

Landry will be good, but without another Dlineman to compliment Carter, the team is going to get run over and Landry and Taylor will lead the team in tackles.

I think the killer was that we couldn't trade down in the first round. Nobody cared enough about Quinn or Peterson to trade up. As for the d-line from two years ago, Griffin is not the player that he was then, and Salavea appears to be used up. We are weak up the middle, where all good teams are strong. And of course, we are weak in the FO. That goes without saying.

You keep saying we've added all these D lineman... How many have made and impact?

When I say we should have added a D-lineman, I mean a young STAPLE on the line that will be a force and be there for 10 years.

we have not added anyone like that.

Sorry but your chances of getting a D-lineman to play and stay young and fruitfull on any NFL for the next 10years is highly unlikely.

If you can name that lineman that let us know b/c I'm sure we would trade for that. But I don't know of any of those types of players available :laugh:

If that type of player was available then wouldn't we have to give way too much to get him?

I think we had a great offseason and lets hope this translates into wins this year.

So good LB and safeties means you win the NFL? Why then, haven't the Ravens been as sucessful the last few years?

The Colts who won the superbowl, only had 1 great S and another decent one, but had great Dlineman. The Patriots have great Dlineman. The Bears' only weakness on D was the the DT after Harris got hurt and Safety and still made it to the superbowl.

Landry will be good, but without another Dlineman to compliment Carter, the team is going to get run over and Landry and Taylor will lead the team in tackles.

The Colts had a Great D-line? I thought they had a Great Offense and good linebacker play and secondary play that won them the Superbowl. I don't see any other fans saying the Colts won b/c of Great D-line play.

Yeah, the ESPN folks, when they were discussing Landry's possible impact, were asking the question "Will Taylor and Landry be making plays before or after the 70-yard completions?"

Evidently our biggest weakness was our secondary where we added four guys and our linebackers where we added three. I'll be interested to see when people who think it was something else actually have this dawn on them.

Isn't that really the facts. We got burned time and time again with deeps passes. We gave up so many 3rd down passes for 1st downs.

We did exactly what we were supposed to do in the offseason so far. We reasonably should now have one of the better secondaries in the league.

The Colts had a Great D-line? I thought they had a Great Offense and good linebacker play and secondary play that won them the Superbowl. I don't see any other fans saying the Colts won b/c of Great D-line play.

What the hell team were you looking at? Mathis and Freeny are much better than Kato June and Thornton? The Colts don't have the greatest LBs. In fact, they had to resign a guy they cut, Rob Morris, before the playoffs because the LBs playes so poorly against the run during the season.

So don't even try and say the Colts won because of great LB play.

They had a great offense, and got good play and pressure from Freeney, Mathis, Brock and McFarland.

Who says the Colts don't have, at the least, great DEs?

So, who are we going to trade for a starting caliber DL? Or do we go with another teams castoff? Or do we stick with last years worst in the league DL lineup and hope for the best? JG is running out of time for his next SB, and without a drastically improved DL, we are not going to even come close.

I believe the colts defense got better when Bob Sanders came back from injury. All they had on their Dline was McFarland and Freeney. Dline wasn't a huge need for us because in GW's the secondary and linebackers provide all the pressure. it would have been nice to add another young linemen, but we improved our D in other areas too. All is not lost, we will be fine next year.

HTTR!!

I believe the colts defense got better when Bob Sanders came back from injury. All they had on their Dline was McFarland and Freeney. Dline wasn't a huge need for us because in GW's the secondary and linebackers provide all the pressure. it would have been nice to add another young linemen, but we improved our D in other areas too. All is not lost, we will be fine next year.

HTTR!!

Of course it got better when Bob Sanders got back. And the only good guys on the Dline are Freeney and McFarland? Mathis is an awesome DE as well who has gotten 10+ sacks in the last 2 seasons. Mathis and Feeney are a great pass rush tandem, although somewhat small.

And Dline wasn't huge need? So if Wynn gets injured, then what? or Daniels, who has gotten injured almost as often as Springs? Evans played good at times, but you can't just have a veru sub-par 5 man rotation on the Dline and expect to win.

I know the front office isn't the best around, but I would think they're good enough to realize that a 3rd string QB isn't as big a need next season as a #3 or 4 DE would be. Palmer wasn't exactly a can't miss prospect to begin with, and probably needs 2-3 season before hes seasoned enough to be a backup.

the hell is wrong with you? in the playoffs last year the d-line stuffed the run and played FANTASTIC. the "amazing offense" stuttered and points were put up because of vinatieri. what playoff games did u watch?

Of course it got better when Bob Sanders got back. And the only good guys on the Dline are Freeney and McFarland? Mathis is an awesome DE as well who has gotten 10+ sacks in the last 2 seasons. Mathis and Feeney are a great pass rush tandem, although somewhat small.

And Dline wasn't huge need? So if Wynn gets injured, then what? or Daniels, who has gotten injured almost as often as Springs? Evans played good at times, but you can't just have a veru sub-par 5 man rotation on the Dline and expect to win.

I know the front office isn't the best around, but I would think they're good enough to realize that a 3rd string QB isn't as big a need next season as a #3 or 4 DE would be. Palmer wasn't exactly a can't miss prospect to begin with, and probably needs 2-3 season before hes seasoned enough to be a backup.

We won in 05 and even made the playoffs and managed to win a playoff game. We still got those players now, so why can't we win w/ them now. We've actually added more depth since that playoff run in 05.

With the value linebackers we got in the draft, combined with Carolina's need and concern for their linebackers with Dan Morgan's concussion and his future up in the air, I say we should try and work out a trade involving Lemar Marshall and some picks with them for Kris Jenkins. That would rule!

I have a huge problem with Greg Blache though. Just like a few years ago when Daniels didn't play a single game due to injury, He says he feels real good about the d-line and we are OK. Either the guy is a flat out liar or he really is that delusional. Either way he is loyal to his current linemen to the point where he looks like a fool. I also remember how defensive and tempermental he got when he was asked by the Comcast reported how to fix the defensive line. He insisted they were OK. What an idiot.

I'm not so certain our d-line woes are the players themselves. I think Greg Blache is just a lousy coach. Any way you look at it, he doesn't seem very smart. They should have fired him while they were at it when they fired the linebackers coach.

the hell is wrong with you? in the playoffs last year the d-line stuffed the run and played FANTASTIC. the "amazing offense" stuttered and points were put up because of vinatieri. what playoff games did u watch?

imho the Colts struggled most of the season w/ stopping the run, then when it came down to crunch time, they did stop the run. Good for the Colts.

Now if your saying that we need Dlineman like Freeney and Mathis, Sorry we won't be able to accomplish that this year.

Maybe we could get a kicker and win the Superbowl. JK

We won in 05 and even made the playoffs and managed to win a playoff game. We still got those players now, so why can't we win w/ them now. We've actually added more depth since that playoff run in 05.

Once again, why should anyone assume an old player will suddenly revert back to the way the played 2-3 years ago? Is Brunell going to play like he did in Jacksonville?

Daniels and Wynn aren't bad, but they wouldn't be starters on any other teams, and on a few teams they wouldn't even be backups. Yeah, they do a decent job at times stopping the run, but the total lack of pass rush is unacceptable, even if your "scheme" is to bring pressure from the LBs.

I don't care how you slice it, if you don't at least get some pressure from the DEs, the LBs will get blocked as well and teams with great Olines will have all day to do anything they want to the defense. Especially a team with a big Oline.

With the value linebackers we got in the draft, combined with Carolina's need and concern for their linebackers with Dan Morgan's concussion and his future up in the air, I say we should try and work out a trade involving Lemar Marshall and some picks with them for Kris Jenkins. That would rule!

I have a huge problem with Greg Blache though. Just like a few years ago when Daniels didn't play a single game due to injury, He says he feels real good about the d-line and we are OK. Either the guy is a flat out liar or he really is that delusional. Either way he is loyal to his current linemen to the point where he looks like a fool. I also remember how defensive and tempermental he got when he was asked by the Comcast reported how to fix the defensive line. He insisted they were OK. What an idiot.

I'm not so certain our d-line woes are the players themselves. I think Greg Blache is just a lousy coach. Any way you look at it, he doesn't seem very smart. They should have fired him while they were at it when they fired the linebackers coach.

Lets add another Dlineman that is injury prone and on the downside of his career :doh:

I thought you guys wanted a young stud thats going to be around for years to come, sorry Jenkins isn't that.

Some of you can't make your mind up. I say we will win w/ what we got and improve the line next year w/ all 7 picks

We were a top defense a couple years ago but we still had weaknesses against some running teams and would had a hard time getting pressure with our front four. It has been an issue for the last 5 years. Sooner or later they'll have to admit it, address that, and fix it.

We lost the game against both the Broncos and the Giants 2 years ago because of this! Tiki ran all over our one side! Heck, the Eagles saw this and very first play of that game came out trying to run that sweep play we struggled so much against. Fortunately Gregg Williams expected that though in that game. It was just so obvious early that season.

Archived