Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we get a D-Linemen now???

Failing2BOptimistic

Whats funny is if we go into the playoffs this year, all of you haters will be back here saying that its all of what we did in the off-season.

Why are you complaining about an offseason that hasn't even had a chance to materialize to the reg. season yet?

All other years we made additions and subtractions and were even considered to have one of the best offseasons last year, what did that give us?

Point being, maybe be considered one of the worst offseasons is a blessing in disguise.

I can't wait to feed crow to you pessimist again for your GREAT draft ideas, lol.

LOL I bet you were one of the awesome guys who thought we were winning the super bowl last year...

I want my team to do well, but when you have a defense that set RECORDS in futility last season, and the biggest weakness on that defense was the line, it is insane to just leave it the way it is.

Sorry if you don't agree, but not everyone will, and that's fine.

1. The Skins have been dying to get rid of Springs since last season ended... this would just be a practical reason for doing so. Don't ask me why they want to trade him, ask The Danny. And who said anything about Portis? Don't make **** up, ok?

2. Being "consistent" on last year's D-Line could have meant 2 tackles every game. And be honest for once: leading all DT's in tackles last year wasn't exactly a terribly hard thing to do. Griff was and could still be good, but he has to stay healthy for once, and if you're willing to bet everything on that, then you are quite the gambler.

3. Did you even read my previous post? w/e...

So the same D-lineman that we had when we went to the playoffs the year before last and we even got a playoff win, aren't good enough now? (fairweather fans) Sorry but Im not convinced we need to trade our best CB for a D-lineman that won't even find playing time unless a starter gets hurt, sorry can't convince me of that quite yet.

So the same D-lineman that we had when we went to the playoffs the year before last and we even got a playoff win, aren't good enough now? (fairweather fans) Sorry but Im not convinced we need to trade our best CB for a D-lineman that won't even find playing time unless a starter gets hurt, sorry can't convince me of that quite yet.

Fairweather fans? Don't call me that cause I'm not, I'm just not a blind optimist like you seem to be.

OUR LINE IS 2 YEARS OLDER THAN IT WAS WHEN WE WENT TO THE PLAYOFFS!

Those guys were old when we went to the playoffs and now they're 2 years older! And they stunk last year! They set TEAM and LEAGUE records in futility! Are you slow? Can you not figure this out?

Washington has some of the worst drafts year in and year out. I can't really remember the last time Washington has used just about every pick as a starter and or good quality backup.

Sartz and Ecker likely won't even make the team, and Palmer will be a 3rd stringer until the Redskins draft another QB in 2-3 years.

Blades and Landry were the only decent picks, yet they still didn't even attempt to go for a G or DE, which they could have found. But hey, Redskins fans are so use to pitiful drafts that I'm sure everyone is happy enough to get 2 guys when most teams can get 4-8 starters and backups.

So age doesn't diminish skills? Oh I'm sure Jerry Rice should be catching a TD pass again soon, I mean he was in the Superbowl only a couple years ago.

You can't hang your hat on a single season, especially when it wasn't even the previous season. Is Jamal Lewis the best RB in football? I mean by your logic he still could be, since only a couple seasons ago he had one of the best seasons a RB ever had.

Wynn and Daniels were older vets when the GOT to Washington, and now its been 3-4 seasons and they're even older now.

Washington has some of the worst drafts year in and year out. I can't really remember the last time Washington has used just about every pick as a starter and or good quality backup.

Sartz and Ecker likely won't even make the team, and Palmer will be a 3rd stringer until the Redskins draft another QB in 2-3 years.

Blades and Landry were the only decent picks, yet they still didn't even attempt to go for a G or DE, which they could have found. But hey, Redskins fans are so use to pitiful drafts that I'm sure everyone is happy enough to get 2 guys when most teams can get 4-8 starters and backups.

Good post unfortunately I totally agree with you on all points.

LOL I bet you were one of the awesome guys who thought we were winning the super bowl last year...

I want my team to do well, but when you have a defense that set RECORDS in futility last season, and the biggest weakness on that defense was the line, it is insane to just leave it the way it is.

Sorry if you don't agree, but not everyone will, and that's fine.

As a fan I'd hope you would think about your team winning a Superbowl. I figured it out, your just a " fair weather fan " :)

Can you explain how we got to the playoffs the year before and won a playoff game? We still got those player from the playoff team the year before on the D-line, don't we?

So should I belive we are really the team that went 11-7 in 05 and won a playoff game or drink your fair weather Kool-aid and belive we are going to be like last year and struggle in all aspects of the game?

If you think your team going to struggle year and year out, maybe they aren't really " YOUR " team. Go jump on the PATs bandwagon b/c they are sure to be in the playoffs, if not the Superbowl this year.

we SHOULD have traded down and taken Branch and picked up some first day pics. that would have been ideal.. I refuse to believe that not taking ONE defensive lineman while drafting ANOTHER QB is a good idea.

So, which team was it that offered to trade down with us, hmmm?

I've got a proposed ES rule: "No one shall be permitted to trash the FO for turning down a trade-down offer unless they've got proof that such an offer was made."

Fairweather fans? Don't call me that cause I'm not, I'm just not a blind optimist like you seem to be.

OUR LINE IS 2 YEARS OLDER THAN IT WAS WHEN WE WENT TO THE PLAYOFFS!

Those guys were old when we went to the playoffs and now they're 2 years older! And they stunk last year! They set TEAM and LEAGUE records in futility! Are you slow? Can you not figure this out?

Ok now your really off b/c didn't we add guys like A.C., Golston, Montgomery, Demetric Evans, Boschetti since then?

So in 2years we've added how many D-lineman? and now you want to keep doing that. :doh:

You do know that only 3 or 4 dlineman will play on any given down, don't you?

Quaninity does not equal quaility.

Evidently our biggest weakness was our secondary where we added four guys and our linebackers where we added three. I'll be interested to see when people who think it was something else actually have this dawn on them.

As a fan I'd hope you would think about your team winning a Superbowl. I figured it out, your just a " fair weather fan " :)

Can you explain how we got to the playoffs the year before and won a playoff game? We still got those player from the playoff team the year before on the D-line, don't we?

So should I belive we are really the team that went 11-7 in 05 and won a playoff game or drink your fair weather Kool-aid and belive we are going to be like last year and struggle in all aspects of the game?

If you think your team going to struggle year and year out, maybe they aren't really " YOUR " team. Go jump on the PATs bandwagon b/c they are sure to be in the playoffs, if not the Superbowl this year.

Don't tell me who I am a fan of and who I am not. There's no need to attack me personally. If I was a fairweather fan, I would be nowhere to be found after that debacle of a season last year. I want my team (yes, MY TEAM) to do well and I root for them to win every game, every year, no matter what like I'm sure you do as well. But I do not blindly proclaim thay they are going 16-0 or winning the super bowl when there are obvious blinding deficiencies.

Yes, I can explain to you exactly how we got into the playoffs two years ago. We rode on Clinton Portis' back. That's it.

Go back and look at our D-Line's stats from 2 seasons ago. They weren't exactly monsters then either. Phillip Daniels led them in sacks, and that's only because he had FOUR in one game when he had the priviledge of rushing the statue of liberty (Bledsoe) and Dalls had a HORRIBLE O-Line. It was more linebacking play and Sean Taylor that made our D great that year.

SantanaClause,

You mean we made the playoffs with good linebacker play and top safety play? Wild. I guess then you understand adding four guys in the secondary and three at backer this offseason then. You must, you apparently feel we won with it so you must get that.

Don't tell me who I am a fan of and who I am not. You keep attacking me personally and we're going to have problems. If I was a fairweather fan, I would be nowhere to be found after that debacle of a season last year. I want my team (yes, MY TEAM) to do well and I root for them to win every game, every year, no matter what like I'm sure you do as well. But I do not blindly proclaim thay they are going 16-0 or winning the super bowl when there are obvious blinding deficiencies.

Yes, I can explain to you exactly how we got into the playoffs two years ago. We rode on Clinton Portis' back. That's it.

Go back and look at our D-Line's stats from 2 seasons ago. They weren't exactly monsters then either. Phillip Daniels led them in sacks, and that's only because he had FOUR in one game when he had the priviledge of rushing the statue of liberty (Bledsoe) and Dalls had a HORRIBLE O-Line. It was more linebacking play and Sean Taylor that made our D great that year.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

So now you understand that its not always SACKS that equal success, your learning grass hopper :applause:

So if Portis is healthy, Landry turns out to be that ballhawking safety like Taylor, then we don't need to add more D-lineman, do we? We added like 4 or 5 dlineman since that year.

Finally you are starting to see the light, didn't we draft a safety and linebackers this year? So your making my point for me.

SantanaClause,

You mean we made the playoffs with good linebacker play and top safety play? Wild. I guess then you understand adding four guys in the secondary and three at backer this offseason then. You must, you apparently feel we won with it so you must get that.

Yes I believe our defense as a whole is better now than it was last season. But there is a glaring need to upgrade the rapidly agind D-Line.

Can you honestly say you're happy with that unit?

Yes I believe our defense as a whole is better now than it was last season. But there is a glaring need to upgrade the rapidly agind D-Line.

Can you honestly say you're happy with that unit?

I'm happy with our defensive line to the extent I prefer taking the better player at a GREATER position of need like Landry presented to us. If Okoye was the better player and Landry was there, I'd have wanted Okoye. But, he wasn't. Those of you who wish we took the lesser player are just being goofy.

As for the line, it is built well for what it is asked to do. It is asked to play a style that limits individual numbers for team glory. And, that style works, and has worked everywhere Williams has been. We added three young or rookie players last year along the defensive line. We'll probably add a couple more next year. But, no one would have provided us the likely player to fill a need that anyone we picked in this draft would have. We aren't cutting one of our current guys for a prospect this year. Next year, sure, but not this year.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

So now you understand that its not always SACKS that equal success, your learning grass hopper :applause:

So if Portis is healthy, Landry turns out to be that ball hawking safety like Taylor, then we don't need to add more D-lineman, do we? We added like 4 or 5 dlineman since that year.

I'm not your grasshopper so cut it out. We obviously have a different opinion. All I know is I watched opposing QBs have ALL DAY to chill in the pocket and throw right over the top of our awesome secondary for 50 yards at a time because our d lineman couldnt even pick up a QB's scent.

Week in and week out. It wasn't fun. That's what I remember. 5-11

I'm happy with our defensive line to the extent I prefer taking the better player at a GREATER position of need like Landry presented to us. If Okoye was the better player and Landry was there, I'd have wanted Okoye. But, he wasn't. Those of you who wish we took the lesser player are just being goofy.

As for the line, it is built well for what it is asked to do. It is asked to play a style that limits individual numbers for team glory. And, that style works, and has worked everywhere Williams has been. We added three young or rookie players last year along the defensive line. We'll probably add a couple more next year. But, no one would have provided us the likely player to fill a need that anyone we picked in this draft would have. We aren't cutting one of our current guys for a prospect this year. Next year, sure, but not this year.

I understand the BPA standpoint, and while I'm disappointed we didn't get Okoye, I completely understand why we chose Landry.

I also understand your points on GreGG's defense... but the problem is that didn't happen last year. No D-Lineman could even get remotely close to an opposing QB. That's because of age. We have an old line that can't beat guys individualy anymore.

I apologize, Larry ...I called him the big, fat criminal in a previous post.

I think you have to get "dumb" in there. He was declared academically ineligible from Oklahoma State (a school which, decades ago, graduated a Skins player who later declared himself to be illiterate) and from the community college he went to, later.

OTOH, obviously he's able to be self-motivated, and he knows how to get a lot out of a weight room.

Archived