Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Draft isn't over and D Line is waiting for us to call their names

RIDETHEWALRUS

we are developing a young quarterback who has no yet started a full season and are rebounding on defense from the worst showing in 35 years. How does that equate in one offseason to a run to the Super Bowl? :)

while anything COULD happen, a responsible GM does NOT gamble next year's picks to make ONE selection in 2007 on the basis of having an improbable shot at joining the NFL elite in one big jump.

championship teams are not built that way in the NFL.

that gambling philosophy works in the NBA where the acquisition of one player can magnify the capabilities of a team so much.

but that's a roster of 12 not 53.

We just don't need DT...

We have already Griffin - Salavea - Golston and Montgomery.

Someone needs to look over our roster. Golston is a good depth/starter along with griffin. Salave'a is on the decline, we didn't see enough of Monty to really know if he can fill big Joe's shoes, and we have noone else with playing experience behind that four. Conclusion we are essentially one or two injuries away from starting a person who has never played an NFL game.

Also on the subject of drafting, don't be surprised if the Skins trade a 1st or second and springs or maybe even Betts (to green bay perhaps?) for a pick or for Justin Harrel. Branch may fall into the 2nd rond, but we don't know yet. I hope we doo add a solid DT and DE later on somewhere but I'm about ready to puke my guts out I am so nervous over the Landry pick :|

the depth issue is there at a number of positions, Veretax.

what if Cooley goes down? or Moss? or Marcus Washington?

the fact is that because of having traded away middle picks in recent years we don't have cheaper players to plug in who have good knowledge of the system.

that is just something we are going to have to live with.

we still have 4 picks left in this draft to find a DT or DE prospect to bring along with Golston/Montgomery.

the depth issue is there at a number of positions, Veretax.

what if Cooley goes down? or Moss? or Marcus Washington?

the fact is that because of having traded away middle picks in recent years we don't have cheaper players to plug in who have good knowledge of the system.

that is just something we are going to have to live with.

we still have 4 picks left in this draft to find a DT or DE prospect to bring along with Golston/Montgomery.

In washington's place we have at least two or three Guys that can play his position in a pinch. Moss goes down, there goes are primary target, but maybe that opens up lloyd and are and lets one of our guys that sat the bench last year get a shot. If Cooley goes down I think we'd probably be hurt almost as bad as losing one of our DL. I could definitely see them drafting a TE in the later rounds.

I would be looking for DE prospects who produced big, but had injury problems(and claim they are now healed). Thats where you are going to get a late round steal on 1st round talent. I would expect the Skins to draft 2 DEs late, and will be interesting to see if they look for one similar to Golston last season(injuries being the knock).

We just don't need DT...

We have already Griffin - Salavea - Golston and Montgomery.

:puke:

Griffin is old, getting older and injury prone. Salavea is in the same boat as Griffin only he has far less talent. Golston is a bright spot but more of a situational player at this point and Montgomery has yet to show anything.

This Dline NEEDS help anywhere it can get it...Maybe Landry can play DE :doh:

Seriously though...I hope the Skins target Clifton Ryan (6'2" 295) in the 5th round. He is strong enough to control the point of attack and has the ability to collapse the pocket with a bull rush. He has also played some DE.

The knock on him is that he might be a DT/DE tweener (small but strong DT/slow, limited pass rush move DE)

I am also a Michigan State fan and I was able to see this guy play. He was often disruptive and has a great motor.

The first round is almost complete and Branch's name has yet to be called. At this point I would seriously consider giving up our 1 next year to make a move at him.

Man I wish we had our 2nd rounder this year.

As for Ryan. He sounds pretty good. One of the biggest knocks on players is their size, but if not forced straight into the starting lineup most of these guys will be able to dedicate themselves to the weight room and put on some mass...Remember Amobi Okoye played at 286 lbs but had swelled up to 301 by his pro-day. It just takes dedication on these guys part.

Yeah, Im a bit surprised that Branch has fallen out of the first round...maybe those legs are as bad as advertised or just enough to scare away nearly everyone in spite of his talent.

I would seriously consider trading up for him as you mentioned...he wont last long in the 2nd round I dont think.

Keith Jackson Jr. would be a nice pickup, all SEC last two years, the only reason he is not a first day pick is because he isn't tall. Exactly the type of "shortcoming" you want in a late round pick a la Zach Thomas...

Agreed. This looks like a nice boom-bust pick. Either he pans out and has a nice upside or he's out. This is really what you would hope for in the 5th round.

I imagine if the FO sees a DT/DE they like at the beginning of day #2, they'll package their 6's and try and move up and get someone.

Otherwise, we're going to do what someone suggested....find a kid who was producing but was injured and hence is falling down the draft board into our clutches in the 5th.

Finally, the suggestion that we're looking for LB depth has me worried... thinking we might get all amped up for a D-lineman tomorrow only to see the FO take a LB. :doh:

Archived