Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2007 NFL Draft From Redskins Park (Day 1)

JimmiJo

2007 NFL DRAFT FROM REDSKINS PARK

April 28, 2007

GIBBS.JPG

Washington Redskins' Head Coach Joe Gibbs speaks to reporters at Redskins Park after the Redskins selected LaRon Landry 6th overall in the 2007 NFL Draft

:helmet:

Live from Redskins Park, it's the 2007 NFL Draft (cue SNL theme)!

Hey everybody, JimmiJo here at the park, geared up and ready to go. Soon the weeks of speculation will come to an end. Soon we can begin to consider how improved the Redskins become with the newly selected draft picks.

I'm about to pee myself with excitement.

The draft is set to begin at 12:00 PM Eastern to day and barring a trade announcment the Redskins are set to pick at 6th overall. There will be 15 minutes between picks in the 1st round. According to the new math they taught me this means the Redskins pick at 1:30 PM approximately.

I'm going to get situated here. If you have questions feel frere to post. I have some fact sheets and may sprinkle the post with these.

Stand by...

Fun Fact:

There are currently seven rounds in the NFL draft. Since 1950, there have been six changes in the number of rounds in the draft. From 1950-59 there were 30 rounds, and from 1960-66 the number of rounds was 20. There were 17 rounds from 1967-76 and from 1977-92 therre were 12 rounds. In 1993 the number of rounds was cut to eight, and since 1994 there have been seven rounds.

Ok, getting set here. The press room has filled up. I am looking out the window at Jason Campbell, Rocky McIntosh, and Andre Carter preparing to climb in a limo to go the FedEx Field party. I wish I could be there as well to report.

I will try to get some reports from folks I know who will be there.

Ok, kids, I will keep you posted on what I learn. Here's to a great draft for the Redskins...

12:45P

Ok, with Cleveland taking Thomas things could get interesting here. There are two teams picking ahead of us now and of Adams, Peterson, and Quinn one will be available, meaning the team could now have some trade leverage or a very good end.

6th OVERALL PICK

And with the 6th overall pick of the 2007 NFL pick the Washington Redskins select…LaRon Landry.

LaRon Louis Landry

Free Safety

Louisiana State University Tigers

Height 6:00.4

Weight: 213

Campus Agility Tests

4.44 in teh 40-yard dash...425-pound bench press...500-pound squat...286-pound power clean.

Combine Agility Tests

4.37 in the 40-yard dash...1.55 10-yard dash...500-pound squat...37.5-inch vertical jump...10'3" broad jump.

Hometown: Ama Louisiana

High School: Hahnville High School

2:20PM

Just got back from a press conference with Coach Gibbs and the media. It looks like it was Landry all the way on this one. Gibbs said that even with Quinn and Peterson the consensus was Landry. Gibbs asserted that although they spoke to other teams about trading picks, as the draft neared they pretty much lost interest in other deals saying the team "wanted to stand pat" on the 6th pick.

Gibbs spoke to Landry's tackling and coverage skills. He said that the Redskins researched Landry extensively and feel they are getting a quality individual. Landry was a freshman starter at LSU, starting 48 of 52 games. Gibbs cited Landry's close relationship with his parents and having a brother playing in the NFL for the Baltimore Ravens as pluses.

When asked about needs at defensive line Gibbs said that the defensive coaches "feel pretty good about it."

Gibbs said that while he does not expect further activity for the Redskins in the draft today, they could opt to trade a 2008 pick if someone falls and becomes available.

We are going to have a conference call here shortly with LaRon Landry. Stand by...

3:15PM

"I think that's the best safety combination ever." - LaRon Landry speaking of playing next to Sean Taylor

Just got off of the conference call with LaRon Landry. He seems like a good guy. LaRon said that he is very happy to be a Washington Redskin and very happy to be playing down I-95 from older brother and Baltimore Raven Dawan Landry.

Landry said that he anticipated being selected by Washington after he and his agent examined a mock draft. "It was a relief to me (after being selected 6th overall) and I'm just happy to be playing in the NFL," Landry said.

Landry said that Sean Taylor reminds him of Ronnie Lott, his idol. When asked about Lott, Landry said, "He was very physical. Nothing could stop him."

When asked to describe himself Landry said, "[i give] 110% effort. I have a great mindset and educated mind for the game. I try to get other guys to match my intensity. I'm not really a talker."

When asked who was the better player between LaRon and brother Dawan, Landry said "I'm the best."

4:30PM - Andre Carter

Hanging out still, waiting to see if the 'Skins are going to try to trade something to get into the 2nd round. I bumped into Andre Carter coming back from FedEx Field and he was nice enough to answer a few questions. They can be heard HERE.

Not draft-related but good to speak to him nonetheless...

7:55PM

Not much going on, they just fed us and the other writers are talking about how late they are staying. We can stay as late as 11PM, but it is looking more and more like nothing else will happen. Then again, they could announce something at any moment.

Tomorrow is expected to start with an 11AM press conference for LaRon Landry. I will be here to cover it. After that, it should get a bit exciting as rounds 4-7 pick every five minutes and there are currently four picks owned by the Redskins.

So that's all I got. I will let you know when I am leaving or, if something comes up.

8:50PM

Well kids, I think we are about to pack it in for the day. If something comes up before I actually walk out the door I will let you know. Otherwise I will see you in the morning... :applause:

Hey JJ, do you get the feel that the Briggs deal is over?

Yes, as originally reported. However, I think anything could happen right up to the time the 6th pick comes. Especially if someone like Quinn or Peterson falls. Then things could get real interesting.

Hey JJ, it's 2.01am Sunday here, how much longer before any news comes this way?

PM me your telephone number and I will call you first.

Ok not really. But I would say about an hour and one half...maybe sooner if something happens.

PM me your telephone number and I will call you first.

Ok not really. But I would say about an hour and one half...maybe sooner if something happens.

OK, so about 90 minutes until we pick or until the draft starts?

All these time zones confuse the crap outta me sometimes, but at least I've got the cricket (World Cup Final) to watch to keep me occupied until news starts to filter thru.

Cheers mate, and I'll chuck a shrimp on the barby for ya.

Archived