Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What about our late-round picks?

Portis4President

Oddly enough, I couldn't find a single thread on this board about what the Skins might be doing with their late-round draft picks. So, as usual, sorry if this thread is redundant in any way.

Maybe nobody cares, but with all of this (excessive) talk and (rabid) speculation regarding what we'll do with the 6th overall pick, lately I've been more interested in what kind of gems we might uncover in the later rounds of the draft. After all, those fellows will outnumber whatever player we get in round one.

From what I can tell, our general needs are DL, DB, and OL (maybe WR), right?

What players should I look/hope for on Sunday? I'm set for Saturday.

I think the reason you're not hearing more about day 2 is that with only rounds 5-7, you dont expect to get much in those rounds. Occationally you'll get a guy that will make the roster, but usually it not much mroe than a special teams guy or someone you'd rather not get on the field in a actual game.

Basically no one has said much, because historically they dont help teams much.

There's one guy I really hope we get with our 5th/6th rounder and that's Cory Anderson, a FB from Tenn. I know people will say that we already have Sellers, but we should be drafting for depth because Broughton is nothing more than a decent STer. Plus, Sellers isn't getting younger. He'll sign a 3/4 yr contract, sit on the bench and play special teams for two, and then he'll replace Sellers. At the very least he will create good competition in preseason and be on the Practice Squad. Here are two different analysis' of him:

Height: 6-21/4 | Weight: 247 | 40-Time: 4.70

NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN

Strengths:

A terrific athlete...Has good size and bulk...Timed speed is adequate...Excellent blocker...Strong and powerful...Has good hands and can contribute as a receiver out of the backfield...Explosive, physical and aggressive...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:

Has very little experience carrying the ball...Is not very shifty or elusive...Doesn't play up to his timed speed and won't beat anyone to the corner...May be a little overweight...Poor balance...His work ethic's been questioned...Struggled in '06.

Notes:

Actually began his college career as a defensive end...He did not have the senior campaign most were expecting...Definitely has a lot of the physical tools you look for...Basically a lead blocker and pass catcher now but has potential as a runner.

ESPN

Strengths: Possesses outstanding size and is capable of engulfing undersized defenders. He displays explosive power and is very aggressive as a blocker. Shows good lower body strength and can root linebackers out of the hole. He has good quickness, speed and agility for his size and position. He flashes the ability to get into position at the second level when he takes good angles. Is big enough to line up at tight end and has good versatility. He has a 36-inch vertical and shows good short area explosiveness. Shows good focus while the ball is in the air and doesn't drop many passes that should catch. He is surprisingly smooth catching the ball and shows the ability to adjust to the poorly thrown pass. He should develop into a productive red zone target. Gets adequate knee bend in pass pro and is big enough to hold ground when picking up blitzing linebackers.

Weaknesses: He takes some poor angles at times and can play out of control. He will get caught lunging and needs to show better balance as a blocker in space. He has a reputation for not working as hard as he should off the field. Lacks the burst to turn the corner, doesn't show a second gear in the open field and doesn't have a lot of experience carrying the ball.

Overall: Anderson was redshirted in 2002. He received playing time in six games in 2003 at defensive end recording three tackles for loss. In 2004, Anderson played in all 13 games making 12 starts at fullback, rushed five times for 53 yards and one touchdown and also made 17 receptions for 157 yards and two touchdowns. Anderson saw action in 11 games during the 2005 season making eight starts. He totaled 20 yards rushing on seven carries and 147 receiving yards on 14 catches. In 2006 Anderson appeared in all 13 games, making six starts, but only carried the ball once and caught three passes for 11 yards. Anderson offers little as a runner and he may benefit from shedding some weight in an effort to get quicker. He also needs to improve his work ethic in order to maximize his physical skills. With that in mind, he is a big lead blocker and a reliable safety valve as a receiver out of the backfield. Anderson grades out as a late-round prospect in the 2007 draft class.

The reason that you do not hear about it is because you cannot even come close to projecting that far ahead. A few people are familiar with players that may be taken in those rounds, however the majority of people do not even know who those players or who will be left. If you projected someone for the fifth round, they may not even end up drafted. Everyone knows which players will be picked in the first and possibly second round. Yes, you have guys that plummett, but not one of the projected first round players will fall to the fifth round. Maybe, Calvin Johnson will. :) The Skins could pick him up then and not lose any picks.

With that, I think we need DL, OL, Special Teams, QB, and WR. Maybe we will find a gem, but possibly not. We can hope for another solid drafting, such as Golston, but that is unlikely.

Oddly enough, I couldn't find a single thread on this board about what the Skins might be doing with their late-round draft picks. So, as usual, sorry if this thread is redundant in any way.

Maybe nobody cares, but with all of this (excessive) talk and (rabid) speculation regarding what we'll do with the 6th overall pick, lately I've been more interested in what kind of gems we might uncover in the later rounds of the draft. After all, those fellows will outnumber whatever player we get in round one.

Ameer Ismail. He led the NCAA in sacks (17) LB(I believe). He is a guy who is all over the field making plays.

Walter Thomas. He has been mentioned a few times on here. He is a definite 2gap DT. Explosive but he is extremely raw.

Aaron Fairooz. 6-6 WR 4.5 40 good hands. Could be like Colston (doubt it though).

Thats just to name a few.

Because no one in the world knows who we or anyone else is going to draft with their 5-7 round picks, so it kind of is worthless to discuss it. Theres not much to discuss.

I agree. It's more wait-and-see than anything else. It only begins to get interesting after the first day has been concluded and you get a chance to look at the names that remain on the big board.

There's one guy I really hope we get with our 5th/6th rounder and that's Cory Anderson' date=' a FB from Tenn. I know people will say that we already have Sellers, but we should be drafting for depth because Broughton is nothing more than a decent STer. Plus, Sellers isn't getting younger. He'll sign a 3/4 yr contract, sit on the bench and play special teams for two, and then he'll replace Sellers. At the very least he will create good competition in preseason and be on the Practice Squad. Here are two different analysis' of him:

Height: 6-21/4 | Weight: 247 | 40-Time: 4.70

[/quote']

vol alum, watch all thier games, so ive seen alot of anderson. Physical freak, the guy is as strong and quick for his size...he came into college as a DE. Didnt get much PT this year, junior fb holbert took over. Not good with the ball in his hands, bad case of fumbleitis. He could probably get up to 270/80 without problem ala big mike sellers.

Here's how I personally would like our late round picks to go (assuming we draft Okoye or Landry with the 6th pick overall)

5 = CB Usama Young (Kent St.) or CB Courtney Brown (Cal Poly)

6A = DE McKristo Bruce (Washington St.)

6B = C/G Gabe Hall (Texas Tech)

7 = TE Tyler Ecker (Michigan)

Brandon Myles WR, WVU 6'1" 189lbs.

Not well known because of the style of offense WVU plays. Average run blocker, good hands with average to good speed, and a very good jumper.

Vertical Jump: 35 1/2

40 Time: 4.41

20 Yard Shuttle: 4.31

Cone Drill: 6.98

Here is a draft report on Myles:

Strengths:

Has good height...A smooth natural athlete...Has very good timed speed...A deep threat who can stretch the field vertically...Solid hands...Has good ball skills and body control...Hard worker with pretty good intangibles...Still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:

Needs to bulk up...Is not very physical or aggressive...He does not provide much after the catch...Was not overly productive...Does not run great routes...Still raw and needs technique work and development...Is he going to hold up physically?

If we had a halfway competent front-office, this question wouldn't be so moot. :doh:

I think the reason you're not hearing more about day 2 is that with only rounds 5-7, you dont expect to get much in those rounds. Occationally you'll get a guy that will make the roster, but usually it not much mroe than a special teams guy or someone you'd rather not get on the field in a actual game.

Basically no one has said much, because historically they dont help teams much.

This is more true for the Redskins than most other teams. Go get Bobby DePaul Joe!!!

Training camp bodies - IMO

I think thats the problem. Hopefully we started taking the second day more seriously because Indianapolis found a starting safety in Antoine Bethea, the New Orlean Saints found a gem in Marques Colston, and we all know what Brady has done for the Patriots. We need to start scouting 2nd day talent better so we don't just draft "Training camp bodies."

I think thats the problem. Hopefully we started taking the second day more seriously because Indianapolis found a starting safety in Antoine Bethea, the New Orlean Saints found a gem in Marques Colston, and we all know what Brady has done for the Patriots. We need to start scouting 2nd day talent better so we don't just draft "Training camp bodies."

True dat! We need to stop focusing on the "sexy picks" and pick up some blue-collar guys who will come to camp hungry to show what they can do. We made some first-round mistakes in the '90s (see: Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook, Andre Johnson), but we also found some diamonds in the rough (see: Tre Johnson and Jon Jansen (second round), Daryl Pounds and Skip Hicks (third round), Reggie Brooks, Stephen Davis and Albert Connell (fourth round), Jamie Asher (5th round), and Frank Wycheck (sixth round)). That starts in the scouting department, which has been very deficient when going after the lower picks.

How about that Howard defensive back Pope? Good article in the WP today about him. The Skins have a good history with small and fast corners :D .

Of late round receivers, I like Courtney Taylor from Auburn, cept he's probably more of a 2nd or 3rd rounder type. I'm also fascinated with David Ball from New Hampshire. He could be the next Steve Largent. I think if he's still on the board in the 5th round we should definitely give him a shot. He might go before that on a whim.

I haven't heard Ball's name mentioned around here. Does anyone think he has NFL potential?

are any of those 2nd day picks worth enough to package up move up sooner in the second day? Move some of the 5th-7th rounders for a 4th instead? Would that make any sense to do?

It makes sense but the points dont add up if you are into the point system, you might have to give up 3 for 1 or 2 and a future.

Archived