Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is 4/20 a drug reference

Koolblue13

It started a little after my time and I have never been able to get a good answer.

Maybe this will help:

http://youneed2see.com/political/158/The_history_of_cannabis_and_4_20

And what about the term "4/20"? There are many rumors as to the origin of the term, and here are a few of them.

Police dispatch code for smoking pot is 420.

The number 420 is not police radio code for anything, anywhere. Checks of criminal codes suggest that the origin is neither Californian nor federal. For instance, California Penal Code 420 defines as a misdemeanor the hindrance of use of public lands.

There are approximately 420 active chemicals in marijuana.

Actually, there are approximately 315 active chemicals in marijuana. This number goes up and down depending on which plant is used.

April 20th is National Pot Smokers Day.

Well, it is now; but that wasn't the origin.

April 20th is Hitler's birthday.

Yes, it is his birthday. But, as 420 started out as a time, not a date, his birthday had nothing to do with it.

The date of the Columbine school shootings.

This happened after the term was already in use.

4:20 is tea time for pot-smokers in Holland.

Tea time in Holland is at 5:30 pm, or is it 2:30 pm? Seems no one is quite sure when the wonderful people of Holland drink their tea.

according to Urban Dictionary:

"So far the majority of you are incorrect.

420's origin IS known.

the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos, who are now pushing 50. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation.

So there ya go, someone's parents out there invented the term 4/20.

And remember this:

There are NOT 420 chemicals in Weed. It's about 315, the num. goes up or down depending on what you're smoking.

4/20 is NOT police code or Maryjane.

And that whole **** about Holland and 4/20 over there being "tea time" for smokers isn't true either.

I know my s**t."

So there we go..

Also to add onto that, another post from UD:

"To add to the definition regarding "The Waldos," I'd like to note that in an article of High Times containing an interview with the waldos, one of them told this story:

We had heard rumors that one of the members brothers had planted a pot patch in the wooded area around town. We all wanted to go look for this patch of weed, so we devised to meet eachother by the statue of Louis Pasteur after school. Since we all had after school activities or electives that lasted about fifty minutes, and since it took about ten minutes to get from school to our after school activities, and another ten minutes to walk from the activites to the statue. Since there were many of us we decided that 420 would be a good time to meet so we could go search for the patch of pot. We never did find it, but we had lots of fun getting high while trying to look for it.

Therefore, when they were at school, when they saw eachother between classes they would secretively say "420" and maybe give the thumb-and-pointer-finger- to-the-mouth sign to indicate that that was when they would meet to look for the weed patch. Since the waldos were such legendary potheads, when people who were not waldos saw this, it caught on and they assumed it was a secret code word for pot."

according to Urban Dictionary:

So far the majority of you are incorrect.

420's origin IS known.

the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos, who are now pushing 50. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation.

So there ya go, someone's parents out there invented the term 4/20.

And remember this:

There are NOT 420 chemicals in Weed. It's about 315, the num. goes up or down depending on what you're smoking.

4/20 is NOT police code or Maryjane.

And that whole **** about Holland and 4/20 over there being "tea time" for smokers isn't true either.

I know my s**t.

Uh...honey.........I posted some of that...........this is written on the same link I posted.

I guess they know their **** too.

;)

Just posting what i saw on Urban.. no reason to get all up on it Blondie.. Chill..

Do you recognize the ;) ?

DO you KNOW what that means?

It means wink......as in gotcha.......as in tease.

If I get all up on it........trust me.....you would know.

Chill.

;)

4:20 is tea time for pot-smokers in Holland.

Tea time in Holland is at 5:30 pm, or is it 2:30 pm? Seems no one is quite sure when the wonderful people of Holland drink their tea.

No one is quite sure because they're stoned.

Duh. :laugh:

Archived