Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What former Redskins greats could play today?

Trippster

What former Redskins could play today and play at a high level? Consider each player in their prime, not their current age.

The only one I can say without hesitation is Darrell Green. He would still be great, although wide receivers on average are taller today than they used to be. That always presented a problem for Darrell.

Though we only had him for a year or two, I'd say Reggie "What's my hang time?" Roby! Then during Super Bowl week all the media can ohh and ahh about how he's the first black digital watch wearing punter to play in a Super Bowl.

And Oldskool, as much as I'd love to see Dexter Manley back in action, I have a funny feeling that him and Roger Goodell wouldn't like each other very much ...

all of them

Of course. The game has not changed as much as the media would want you to believe. And for people that think Sammy Baugh could only be a punter in todays game, you should look into his career, he would be starting for us over JC, no offense to JC, but Sammy developed the forward passing game to what it is today. Even Cliff Battles would tear it up, the guy was a beast runner in the 30's, he would still be good today.

The league hasnt changed THAT much. I'd say most of the greats from about the 70s and on could still play if they were in their prime, as long as they werent way undersized for their position. The one exception to the post modern era rule being Sammy Baugh. Dude could probably play in the league NOW at 93 years old. :laugh:

Actually, the game has changed a LOT... Money creates more competition. The game is a profession now, and a player can live comfortably for many years (if he's smart with his money) off an NFL salary. I may be in the minority, but I believe the college game may be as good today (if not better) than the Pro Game when I was a kid.

That being said... Anyone who played in the 90s should probably be exempt because most of them played in what I would consider the current era.

QBs: Sonny could play if he worked more on his conditioning... Joe T could play... I think Doug Williams played in the 90s, but his last year as a Redskin was 89... So, I'd say Doug Williams could definitely play today.

RBs: John Riggins, Joe Washington, Larry Brown definitely

WRs: Charley Taylor and Bobby Mitchell... Not sure about the others. Speed of the game has definitely changed. (BTW, Monk, Clark and Sanders played in the 90s, so I'm not counting them).

TEs: Jerry Smith, Didier, Warren and Walker could probably all do well.

OL: Mark May, George Starke may have been too small to play Tackle. Maybe he could've moved to Guard or Center. All others I know played in the 90s.

DL: Butz and Manley (all others played in 90s). Talbert would've probably been too small, but hard to question his enthusiasm.

LB: Tillman, Hanburger and Olkiewicz? Game has changed so much with strength and speed.

DB: Ken Houston... Pat Fischer (probably would have to become a S)...

KR: Mike Nelms... definitely he could make it as a KR.

If you're going to project players from a different era into this one, you have to give them the benefit of today's training, diet, and medicine. To say that one of those players would be too slow or small is bunk because -- in today's environment -- they, too, would be bigger and faster.

Some others not mentioned: CB Lemar Parrish was an outstanding corner during the '70s, as well as a fine punt returner (in Cincinnati, not in Washington). The kind of athlete he was then project very well to this era.

Mike Bass was a physical and versatile DB who could play well today.

Uh, Sam Huff, anybody? He would be a killer inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense these days. He was a punishing, attacking linebacker. You may not want him dropping into coverage too often, but that's why you play him inside, exploding into gaps and destroying blockers, ball carriers, and QBs.

A word about Pat Fischer: if you don't think he could play cornerback today, just look at Antoine Winfield. Fischer was the same type of player, physically and stylistically.

Fact is, most of the guys who played in former eras could play now, to some extent, because they would have all the modern benefits.

If you're going to project players from a different era into this one, you have to give them the benefit of today's training, diet, and medicine. To say that one of those players would be too slow or small is bunk because -- in today's environment -- they, too, would be bigger and faster.

It's a valid point that you make... However, speed and size can only be trained so much (without HGH).

Uh, Sam Huff, anybody? He would be a killer inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense these days. He was a punishing, attacking linebacker. You may not want him dropping into coverage too often, but that's why you play him inside, exploding into gaps and destroying blockers, ball carriers, and QBs.

Nice catch on Sam... It's hard to believe I forgot him when I got down to LBs.

Anyway, your points are well taken.

Archived