Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What former Redskins greats could play today?

Trippster

Actually, the game has changed a LOT... Money creates more competition. The game is a profession now, and a player can live comfortably for many years (if he's smart with his money) off an NFL salary.

I would argue that the lack of money in the past made the players play harder. I have heard numerous interviews with former players that claimed that they needed football to pay their bills. I bet you would play much harder if you thought you might be unemployed with $200 in your bank account compared to $3.5 million. ;)

What former Redskins could play today and play at a high level? Consider each player in their prime, not their current age.

The only one I can say without hesitation is Darrell Green. He would still be great, although wide receivers on average are taller today than they used to be. That always presented a problem for Darrell.

There are a number of Skin players who could play today, and be successful (under your definition)...

1/ QBs - Sunny Jergensen (for crying out loud that guy could throw for 80 yards)

Joe Theismann

2/ WRs - Art Monk, Ricky Sanders

3/ KR/PR - Brian Mitchell\

4/ DBs - Darrell Green

5/ TEs - Clint Didier, MIke Tice

6/ DT/NT - Dave Butts

7/ DE - Charles Mann, Dexter Manley

8/ Kicker - Chip Lohmiller

9/ OL - Jim Lachey, Jeff Bostic, Russ Grimm

I am sure there are many more ...

In today's game, Charley Taylor would be Jerry Rice. Taylor was unstopable even though DBs could ride you all the way down the field and "chuck" you anywhere before the ball was in the air.

Guys like Pat Fischer, Larry Brown, Jerry Smith, Sonny, Ken Houston (just to name a few of the 70s guys) could play in any era.

Hail,

H

In today's game, Charley Taylor would be Jerry Rice. Taylor was unstopable even though DBs could ride you all the way down the field and "chuck" you anywhere before the ball was in the air.

That's a good point. Any big-time receiver from before the adoption of the current pass interference/illegal contact rules must be given his due.

What former Redskins could play today and play at a high level? Consider each player in their prime, not their current age.

The only one I can say without hesitation is Darrell Green. He would still be great, although wide receivers on average are taller today than they used to be. That always presented a problem for Darrell.

The 75 greatest Skins of all time could be impact players today, without a doubt. :applause:

Actually, the game has changed a LOT... Money creates more competition. The game is a profession now, and a player can live comfortably for many years (if he's smart with his money) off an NFL salary. I may be in the minority, but I believe the college game may be as good today (if not better) than the Pro Game when I was a kid.

That being said... Anyone who played in the 90s should probably be exempt because most of them played in what I would consider the current era.

QBs: Sonny could play if he worked more on his conditioning... Joe T could play... I think Doug Williams played in the 90s, but his last year as a Redskin was 89... So, I'd say Doug Williams could definitely play today.

RBs: John Riggins, Joe Washington, Larry Brown definitely

WRs: Charley Taylor and Bobby Mitchell... Not sure about the others. Speed of the game has definitely changed. (BTW, Monk, Clark and Sanders played in the 90s, so I'm not counting them).

TEs: Jerry Smith, Didier, Warren and Walker could probably all do well.

OL: Mark May, George Starke may have been too small to play Tackle. Maybe he could've moved to Guard or Center. All others I know played in the 90s.

DL: Butz and Manley (all others played in 90s). Talbert would've probably been too small, but hard to question his enthusiasm.

LB: Tillman, Hanburger and Olkiewicz? Game has changed so much with strength and speed.

DB: Ken Houston... Pat Fischer (probably would have to become a S)...

KR: Mike Nelms... definitely he could make it as a KR.

It has changed a lot, but not so much that any of these past greats wouldnt be able to compete. And by the way you pretty much disagreed with me and then agreed with me, haha. What "great" players from the past 30 years COULDNT play today?

Archived