Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT "'Skins Wise to bring in Russell"

FrFan

Though guys like ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli have tried to make much ado about the decision of the Washington Redskins to host a pre-draft

visit with quarterback JaMarcus Russell, we (and others) have pointed out that teams have the ability to bring in up to 30 incoming rookies prior to the draft.

For the Redskins, who typically add most of their new players via free agency, it doesn't hurt to bring these guys in and show them a good time at a first-rate facility. Events like that tend to stay with a young guy, especially if he ends up being drafted by a team that has a lesser building and/or a more careful approach to the spending of money.

So now Russell and the other guys who came to Redskins Park and are later drafted by someone else will become unwitting ambassadors for the organization. NFL players spend plenty of time with each other in the locker room and on the practice field; the 30 guys who came to town in 2007 could end up saying very positive things about the organization in front of teammates who are coming up for free agency in 2008.

In four years some of the players who came to town now will become free agents, too. And if, as we suspect, the 'Skins roll out the red carpet (and the pink shrimp) for the incoming draft picks, those guys will remember fondly their trip to D.C. when the time comes to pick a new team.

Link

So now Russell and the other guys who came to Redskins Park and are later drafted by someone else will become unwitting ambassadors for the organization. NFL players spend plenty of time with each other in the locker room and on the practice field; the 30 guys who came to town in 2007 could end up saying very positive things about the organization in front of teammates who are coming up for free agency in 2008.

In four years some of the players who came to town now will become free agents, too. And if, as we suspect, the 'Skins roll out the red carpet (and the pink shrimp) for the incoming draft picks, those guys will remember fondly their trip to D.C. when the time comes to pick a new team.

Never thought about that angle but it makes sense. Just like in the business world, networking matters...

I often wondered about this, why teams do it. If you're the skins and you bring Russel in, why not (in casual conversation) say to him, "what bothers you most about a particular defense?" He responds, "The 3-4 when they bring the linebacker off the end".

I think what I'm saying is, you can get a feel for what bothers a player by bringing them in. Could be beneficial during the season...

I really like this actually, bring in players you have no chance of drafting, or have no interests in drafting. But show them a good time, and let them tell everyone how awesome are facility is. Thats pretty damn smart. Maybe thats why everyone wants to come here..........or it could just be the 40 million dollar paychecks:doh:

Very interesting way to look at it - I never even thought of it!

Say JC turns out to be a dud (which we all obviously pray he does not!). 3 years later, maybe JaMarcus is fed up with Oakland. Maybe he remembers how nice Dan treated him and is like you know what Al, trade me to Washington!

JaMarcus Russell would be a great pick for Washington, much as I hate to say it. Those of us who watch SEC football on a regular basis know he is a real specimen, unlike Campbell, who never showed the tools in college to prove he can be a good QB in the NFL like Russell has.

Russell reminds me of a bigger, stronger Donovan McNabb with a little less mobility but a better arm. Both can really stand in the pocket and take a hit, though Russell doesnt puss out on a regular basis....

Campbell reminds me of Akili Smith. QBs who put up one stellar season of stats (arguably due to having great offenses around them), can move around well both in and out of the pocket, but lack the accuracy and mental capacity to suceed at the next level.

Russell will be good, and I hope he stays far away from the East

JaMarcus Russell would be a great pick for Washington, much as I hate to say it. Those of us who watch SEC football on a regular basis know he is a real specimen, unlike Campbell, who never showed the tools in college to prove he can be a good QB in the NFL like Russell has.

Russell reminds me of a bigger, stronger Donovan McNabb with a little less mobility but a better arm. Both can really stand in the pocket and take a hit, though Russell doesnt puss out on a regular basis....

Campbell reminds me of Akili Smith. QBs who put up one stellar season of stats (arguably due to having great offenses around them), can move around well both in and out of the pocket, but lack the accuracy and mental capacity to suceed at the next level.

Russell will be good, and I hope he stays far away from the East

Mental capacity to succeed at the next level? Jason Campbell definately does not lack "mental capacity." Perhaps you lack the mental capacity to understand that in 6 years, Campbell has played in 6 different offenses. That's pretty impressive. Jason Campbell strikes me as a Donovan McNabb. besides, Jason has the things you can't measure, intangibles. He is cool, collected, and a leader.

Mental capacity to succeed at the next level? Jason Campbell definately does not lack "mental capacity." Perhaps you lack the mental capacity to understand that in 6 years, Campbell has played in 6 different offenses. That's pretty impressive. Jason Campbell strikes me as a Donovan McNabb. besides, Jason has the things you can't measure, intangibles. He is cool, collected, and a leader.

There is almost no comparison whatsoever to McNabb, from either a physical or ability standpoint.

And who says Campbell has great leadership skills? Because he stepped up and willed his team to win ONCE in two seasons worth of starts at Auburn? The Sugar Bowl game against Virginia Tech somehow defined his college career to many, despite the fact that it was his #1 defense, the best offensive line in college football and the two top 5 picks behind him that contributed to that great 2004 campaign moreso than Campbell did. Hell, Campbell was only the 5th best player ON HIS OWN OFFENSE, that tells you how stacked they were. Everyone outside of Alabama is still wondering how the Hell he received SEC player of the year over Brown and Cadillac, not to mention several other players who deserved it moreso than him.

Russell, on the other hand, is a monster of a man who play exceptionally well despite having little in the way of a running game and only having having one true go-to player in his offense (Bowe). He just has more natural tools at his disposal

Wow, that sounds an awful lot like Russell.

Except of course that LSU averaged a half yard more per carry in Russell's senior season than Auburn did in Campbell's. And, oh yeah, Campbell was throwing to household names Courtney Taylor (2004 was easily his best season and he is expected to go late in the 2nd day this year) and Devin Aromashodu (7th round pick last year) while Russell was handcuffed by having to throw to scrubs Dwayne Bowe (projected 1st round draft pick) and Craig Davis (projected to go in the 2nd round).

Jason Campbell had a better QB rating as a senior and Jason Campbell had a better QB rating as a junior. Did I mention that Campbell's lack of accuracy was so acute that he had a higher completion percentage than Russell both years and a higher yards per attempt?

Russell, on the other hand, is a monster of a man who play exceptionally well despite having little in the way of a running game and only having having one true go-to player in his offense (Bowe). He just has more natural tools at his disposal

Running game comparison

Auburn 2004

553-2,383 yds, 27 TDs, 4.3 ypc

LSU 2006

450-2,155 yds, 25 TDs, 4.8 ypc

Yeah, that's very little in the way of a running game.

Running game comparison

Auburn 2004

553-2,383 yds, 27 TDs, 4.3 ypc

LSU 2006

450-2,155 yds, 25 TDs, 4.8 ypc

Yeah, that's very little in the way of a running game.

Please, tell me this is in jest

Quick, without looking, name me either one of LSU's featured backs last year, neither of whom even gained 450 yards or scored more than 6 TDs

On the flip side, in 2004, Ronnie Brown ran for 913 yards and 8 TDs, and Cadillac Williams ran for 1,165 yards and 12 TDs. Oh, and both were top 5 picks.

Now, if you want to make the argument that LSU's run game took just as much pressure off Russell as Auburn's did Campbell, you go right on ahead. I will not stop you :laugh:

Archived