Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Bears' proposal expected today

Skinsinparadise

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20070403-124843-5547r.htm

Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo will make his counter proposal today to the Washington Redskins regarding linebacker Lance Briggs, an NFL source said yesterday.

The Redskins, who offered the No. 6 overall pick to the Bears for Briggs and the No. 31 pick last week, have been in a waiting mode until the Bears decided on a plan.

"[Angelo] wants more than what they're offering," the source said.

In a development last night, it might not matter what the Bears counter with. The NFL Network reported the Redskins' proposal was their final offer and that talks have stalled.

Angelo said last weekend it is "not likely" the Bears would grant Briggs' request for a long-term contract.

Briggs has been placed with a franchise tag, meaning he will earn $7.2 million in 2007 if he doesn't sign a new contract. Any team signing a "franchise" player from another team must give up two first-round picks. The price of that move makes it unlikely the Redskins would continue to pursue Briggs if trade talks break down.

Two possible counteroffers by the Bears: The Redskins trading the sixth pick straight up for Briggs, or the Redskins adding a player -- likely one of two linebackers, Rocky McIntosh or Lemar Marshall -- to the trade.

The Bears have no in-house replacements for Briggs, a two-time Pro Bowl player who has vowed to sit out the season's first 10 games. If traded to the Redskins, Briggs is expected to sign a lucrative contract.

"Everybody in the league knows the Redskins have a reputation for overpaying -- that's their history," the source said. "I'm sure the Bears think there's some more meat on the bone and it never hurts to ask for more."

Frost re-signed

The Redskins announced the re-signing of punter Derrick Frost yesterday.

Frost has been the Redskins' punter since the third game of the 2005 season. Last year, he averaged 42.9 yards on 81 punts. For his career, which included spending the 2004 season with Cleveland, Frost has averaged 41.1 yards on 242 attempts. He also will continue as the team's holder.

Preseason slate released

The Redskins will open the preseason with an Aug. 11 game at Tennessee that will be televised nationally by NFL Network.

Following home games against Pittsburgh (between Aug. 16 and Aug. 20) and Baltimore (between Aug. 23 and Aug. 27), the Redskins close the preseason at Jacksonville on Aug. 30. The dates and times for the two home games will be announced later this spring.

I'm in favor of the Briggs trade cause mainly we're getting good value for the 6th pick with 2 players who will contribute immediately. However I understand the point of view of those who want to hold onto #6 and see how the draft plays out. I DO NOT understand the arguments of those in favor of CJ. I think he'll eventually be great but I just don't see the benefit of using that high of a pick on a guy who may only make 3-5 catches a game...Look at Adnre Johnson and Roy Williams; they've played very well and has lived up to his draft status but what has that meant in the win column?

In additon I've read the argument that we can't do this after giving up 2 picks for Rocky, but what about what we've given up at wr??

Moss- $10 million in bonuses (Gave up Coles who we gave up a 1st rounder for)

Randel El- $11.5 million in bonuses

Lloyd- I beleive $10 million (haven't confirmed yet)..Also gave up a 3rd and 4th rounder....

So people are now willing to give and additional $15-$20 million bonus and at least a high pick in the '08 draft along with our #6 for CJ? Doesn't add up

the bears can take it or leave it I don't care..... they aint getting briggs in a straight trade for #6

pretty sad that its league wide news how stupidly we spend money.

Really sad how such a portrayal, when discovered to not be fully accurate, is not corrected and just keeps perpetuating itself in the press on, most disappointingly, on this board. Seeing what comtracts were doled out this off-season, put, for example, the Randle-El deal in sharp perspective -- that was a very nice deal for the Skins compared to what lesser (or older) WRs were going for this year. Ladell Betts? We got him for a bargain price. For every Archuleta, there's a Randle-El. We paid Lloyd too much, but seemed to have a pretty swell deal on Carter. We also have Smoot back for a lot less than he was paid by Minnesota.

In terms of trades, we coughed up too much last season for Lloyd et al, but we also traded straight up the prior year Moss for Coles, something I'd do endlessly if we could (cap hit or not). Did we overpay to draft Jason Campbell? No more than Baltimore overpaid to move up to draft (gag) Kyle Boller. Many other teams overpay as much as we do, but we're the ones with a young, brash, Jewish owner, so we get slammed. Great news.

pretty sad that its league wide news how stupidly we spend money.

Really sad how such a portrayal, when discovered to not be fully accurate, is not corrected and just keeps perpetuating itself in the press on, most disappointingly, on this board. Seeing what comtracts were doled out this off-season, put, for example, the Randle-El deal in sharp perspective -- that was a very nice deal for the Skins compared to what lesser (or older) WRs were going for this year. Ladell Betts? We got him for a bargain price. For every Archuleta, there's a Randle-El. We paid Lloyd too much, but seemed to have a pretty swell deal on Carter. We also have Smoot back for a lot less than he was paid by Minnesota.

In terms of trades, we coughed up too much last season for Lloyd et al, but we also traded straight up the prior year Moss for Coles, something I'd do endlessly if we could (cap hit or not). Did we overpay to draft Jason Campbell? No more than Baltimore overpaid to move up to draft (gag) Kyle Boller. Many other teams overpay as much as we do, but we're the ones with a young, brash, Jewish owner, so we get slammed. Great news.

haha lol at you even trying to discuss the ravens and us in the same sentence. the ravens actually use this thing called the draft, i heard about it one time. go look at their draft history, and youll see a complete night and day with the skins. ooo they missed on kyle boller, wow that MUST make them just as bad as us. too bad we havent had a single good draft pick past the 3rd round pan out in the last 5 years just about (jury out on golston, who wouldnt have sniffed the field if not for injuries).

we overpaid for randel el, 3rd receivers dont garner that much money. we overpaid for a situational saftey who busted out and is gone already. we overspent for lloyd with draft picks AND gave him a new contract which he didnt need whatsoever. oo were so smart cause we got moss for coles, both solid good receivers, we didnt win big in that trade, coles just wanted out so we got a good replacement. ladel betts is a backup running back who fumbles too much and couldnt find the endzone with a map. delusional much?

its a league wide FACT that the redskins overspend for players. we just do. it has nothing to do with snyder being jewish haha.

pretty sad that its league wide news how stupidly we spend money.Really sad how such a portrayal, when discovered to not be fully accurate, In terms of trades, we coughed up too much last season for Lloyd et al, but we also traded straight up the prior year Moss for Coles, something I'd do endlessly if we could (cap hit or not). Did we overpay to draft Jason Campbell? No more than Baltimore overpaid to move up to draft (gag) Kyle Boller. Many other teams overpay as much as we do, but we're the ones with a young, brash, Jewish owner, so we get slammed. Great news.

If I read you right you are saying the league has a weird skewed opinion about the Skins that makes no sense when you look at the facts and its a religious based bias against our owner?

Well the only bad trade you mentioned was the Lloyd one. And yeah if that's all we did, I'd think too that the league has a weird opinion about us overpaying for salarly and trades. But what about?

A 3rd and a 4th for Duckett?

A bonus 2nd rounder along with Champ Bailey

A 3rd rounder for Brunnel when league sources said he was going to bre released.

TWO 2nd rounders to draft Rocky McIntosh -- we still have to see on that one.

Making Archuleta the highest paid safety in the league

Giving up picks for Morton and Hall.

When we trade for picks -- we get a 6th for Ramsey, 6th for Gardner.

Years ago signing Jeff George, Carrier, Deon Sanders, Bruce Smith. And on and on.

Yeah I know am going to get hit back with some of our successul FA signings and clearly we have some.

But IMO for any of us to think that the league is nuts to think that we overpay in salary and trades and they have to have some vendetta against our owner to come up with such an outlandish conclusion. To each their own as to their opinion but to me it makes sense for the league to have that opinion maybe its a bit too harsh but definitely not out of left field.

"Everybody in the league knows the Redskins have a reputation for overpaying -- that's their history," the source said. "I'm sure the Bears think there's some more meat on the bone and it never hurts to ask for more."

It's official: Danny and Vinny are a league-wide joke.

I think it's too late to save ourselves, from ourselves. In my opinion, the Bears are going to back down from the hardline stance, and hold us to our original offer. We're going to get stuck with Briggs (and 4 other LBs, one of which we just spent 3 draft picks on last year - in Rocky), and the #31. Our F.O. will fawn all over the deal, and emphasize how we didn't cave to Chicago's counter-offer, which was irrelevant.

So, we give away our #6 for a disgruntled, soon to be overpaid LB at a position of excess, who *could* have been available for free next season. Likewise, we resisted going after LBs who actually bring superior skill sets to the table (like Adalius Thomas, who can actually get to the QB) who would could have been had just for an offer sheet, and still kept our #6. THEN we could have had a gamechanging LB, and used our #6 to trade back and land possibly 2 defensive starters (one of which would have been a much, much higher pick than #31). Now THAT would have been the wise way to aggressively address the defense, if we're about to make a guy one of the highest paid LBs at his position in the league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2823964

"The Redskins offer was take-it-or-leave it, and they told the Bears that they wanted an answer no later than Tuesday."

"the Redskins made it clear to the Bears on Monday that if they ask for more than the proposed draft-pick swap, the trade talks are over."

I think the Redskins FO are doing an excellent job handling this trade scenario. Which many of us continue to trash the FO. It doesn't sound like any bending-over is taking place.

I think the Redskins FO are doing an excellent job handling this trade scenario. Which many of us continue to trash the FO. It doesn't sound like any bending-over is taking place.

They've suffered a huge media/fan backlash through every outlet that's covered this story, for going on an unplanned shopping spree for a luxury they don't need, and for deviating from the course of patiently valuing their draft picks yet again... So, I think this take it or leave it response, is just a pose to make it appear they are standing firm in the face of so much, universal criticism. The initiation of the offer, to it's contents, to the poor way it fits the design of our team are all awful, in my opinion. They are just trying to save face now, while we hope the Bears save us from ourselves. :2cents:

That depends if you think they didn't overpay with the first offer. If you recall many on the board were upset with our first offer I doubt those people (include myself among them) will applaud the Skins for not making a bad trade, even worse.

Well the only bad trade you mentioned was the Lloyd one. And yeah if that's all we did, I'd think too that the league has a weird opinion about us overpaying for salarly and trades. But what about?

I didn't say that was the only one. I liked the Duckett trade (which was just for a 3rd, by the way) until the Skins sucked and didn't need him. That aside, there's a large gap between the 2000 splurge and the 2006 splurge.

- The 2nd round pick we gave Denver in the Portis-Bailey trade is in Detroit. I'd love to have that pick, but that's a trade I'd do again, especially given the fact that we signed Shawn Springs for a lot less than Bailey got in Denver.

- The 3rd for Brunell is based on the rumor that no one wanted him; I've never seen that established as the truth. He helped us reach the playoffs in 2005, so, to me, a 3rd is worth it.

- Given that most flotsam players were released this year for nothing, getting a 6th for Ramsey and Gardner is making something out of nothing. Good move. And we traded down twice to draft Ramsey.

- I didn't know we gave up draft picks for Hall & Morton; I thought they were free agents. I'm possibly wrong on that.

If you think we overpaid for Randle-El, look at what less talented and older WRs got this year. I don't like that we don't use the draft, either, and I'm not saying our front office is going great guns, but the hating -- often for things they haven't even done yet and may never do -- just shows that people enjoy criticizing at least as much as they enjoy winning. When Jerry Jones does a freak out, he doesn't get nearly as much slack as Snyder does (and Gibbs makes the calls folks, not Snyder).

Delusional is thinking you know more than the front office and that whining is somehow the same as offering enlightenment. Disagreeing w/the front office one thing -- I do it often -- saying that they're a "joke" just reveals a narcissistic love of complaining. Like that person in the office who complains about everything all the time and seems to take enjoyment when something actually goes wrong.

I initially stopped short of playing the "Jew card" b/c I am loathe to accuse anyone of anti-semitism, but I think Snyder fulfills a lot of people's (some Jewish) view of a certain stereotype and I think it works against him in the media & on this board. I haven't done a study of this, so I'm thrilled to be wrong, but the anti-Snyder crap rubs me the wrong way, especially when Gibbs is the individual making the football decisions.

Archived