Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With the #31st pick the Washington Redskins select Tim Crowder

RIDETHEWALRUS

I was going to put together a long list compaing the DEs/DTs available at #6 versus at #31 but then I realized I don't want to sit at my computer for 3 hours on a Saturday. Instead I will give you a quick intro to Tim Crowder. Admittedly I have been puching for this guy really hard over the last week or two after some friends of mine from UT showed me some highlight videos of him.

Tim Crowder - University of Texas

6'4", 272 lbs

4.69 - 40 yd dash

7.28 - 3 cone

30.5 - vertical

4.32 - 20 yd shuttle

9'3" - broad jump

32 reps of 225 lbs

06-07 - 59 tkls, 19 tkls for loss, 10.5 sacks, 4 Forced Fumbles, 3 Passes Deflected, 20 QB hurries

Tim Crowder is a 4 year starter at UT but did not emerge until last year. Has not missed a game due to injury in his college career. Is very solid at the point of attack excelling against the run. Does not have good burst at the whistle. Despite being a 4 year starter he still has issues with blockers being able to get into his body because he doesn't use his hands well. he was a leader last year for UT and a defensive leader for the team that won a national championship.

I am not sure why he has received so little attention from the draft gurus, but is predicted to go early in the 2nd...or at #31 to the Redskins ;)

IF we were to pull off the Briggs trade and get the 31st, then this guy would be a great pick-up. He may not be a top-flight pre-draft DE like Anderson or Adams, but I'm sure he would be able to help out our team. And who knows, as the draft is always up in the air anyway, he may turn out to be better.

No, no, NO...

We want Justin Harrell, DT, Tennesse

Strengths:

Has good size with long arms and the frame to bulk up further...Athletic with solid speed and good quickness...Is mobile with pretty good range...Plays the run well and is a good tackler...Will penetrate and make plays in the backfield...Tough and will play through pain...May have some versatility...Hard worker...Top intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Has some health concerns and durability is a major question mark...He struggles to shed blockers...Has an inconsistent motor...Can use his hands better...Is not overly stout at the point...Is not real powerful and his good weight room strength does not always translate to the field...He never really had a breakout campaign.

Notes:

Missed the majority of his senior season with a ruptured biceps tendon but put off surgery for a week so he could help his team in a big game against Florida...Does everything well but doesn't really stand out in any one area...Might also project to defensive end in a 3-4 scheme...The Volunteers have a strong pro tradition when it comes to defensive tackles and Harrell will attempt to follow in the footsteps of John Henderson, Shaun Ellis, Darwin Walker, Rashad Moore and Jesse Mahelona

info on Crowder:

Strengths:

Has decent size and bulk for the position...Good strength...Does a nice job versus the run and is stout at the point...Uses his hands well...Athletic with good range and can drop into coverage...Technically and fundamentally sound...Is very smart and a hard worker with a great motor and excellent intangibles...Very tough and has been durable...Productive...Has a ton of experience against top competition.

Weaknesses:

Does not have great speed or a burst...Is not really a sack artist...His agility and quickness are just average...Will struggle to disengage from blocks...Is somewhat inconsistent...Overaggressive at times...Probably doesn't have very much upside.

Notes:

Four-year starter for the Longhorns...Had the best season of his career by far as a senior...Was also a good baseball player in high school...A jack-of-all-trades but master of none who's solid but doesn't really stand out in any one area...He will never be an elite pass rusher but he can be a good all-around player in the pros.

I don't recall seeing a mock draft with Crowder making the first round. Actually, I can't recall one with him in the 2nd -- though might be one or two of him in the late 2nd. The mock drafts I've seen have Crowder going in the the third round or lower.

Scout.com rates him as the 11th best DE.

De's that I almost always see higher and often in the 2nd include: Abirami (not sure about the spelling), Woodley -- most have Moses higher too but he's usually a 3rd rounder like Crowder.

Some mock drafts have Charles Johnson and Anthony Spencer dropping to the late 1st early 2nd, especially Johnson.

Not saying Crowder can't be a a stud just making the observation that at least going with mock drafts and scouting reports on the web, you see Crowder as being a much better player than the so called draft geeks.

I don't recall seeing a mock draft with Crowder making the first round. Actually, I can't recall one with him in the 2nd -- though might be one or two of him in the late 2nd. The mock drafts I've seen have Crowder going in the the third round or lower.

Scout.com rates him as the 11th best DE.

De's that I almost always see higher and often in the 2nd include: Abirami (not sure about the spelling), Woodley -- most have Moses higher too but he's usually a 3rd rounder like Crowder.

Some mock drafts have Charles Johnson and Anthony Spencer dropping to the late 1st early 2nd, especially Johnson.

Not saying Crowder can't be a a stud just making the observation that at least going with mock drafts and scouting reports on the web, you see Crowder as being a much better player than the so called draft geeks.

True. The highest I have seen Crowder taken in a mock is the 5th or 6th pick in the 2nd round.

True. Charles Johnson and Victor Abirimiri are generally taken before Crowder in the various mocks.

True. I do see Crowder as being much better than the draft geeks give him cred for. However, I have seen draft geeks say that he may have already peaked (because he started 4 years), which is of course a terrible argument. I have seen many draft geeks say this guy can't get to the QB despite the fact that he has 10.5 sacks in his senior year to go along with 20 QB pressures. I have seen many draft gurus say he is to light and many others say he is phenomenal against the run. The truth of the matter is most draft gurus have never even seen tape rather they regurgitate what another guru said after regurgitating a different gurus words.

The fact about Crowder is he is a blue collar player. He brings his lunch pail to every game and does not take plays off. That is why his numbers are so solid, because when his opponent decides to take a break Crowder takes advantage. Guys like Gaines Adams and Alan Branch are more talented, but they do not have the work ethic. Both Adams and Branch take plays off so the draft gurus sit there and go "imagine if they didn't take plays off how amazing would they be then?"

"With the #31st pick the Washington Redskins select Tim Crowder"....

and finish in last place in the NFC East for years to come because they have continued to fail in addressing the issue of run defense.

:doh:

Wow, fantastic argument...were you on your high schools debate team?

Countless scouts say that Anthony Spencer is gonna be the best overall DE in the draft and i say we take the Briggs deal hands down and take Spencer at #31.....it would be even nicer to go to a 3-4 Defense because we would shore up that 2nd DT position with a LB in the 4 backer set

DE - Andre Carter - Phillip Daniels

DT - Cornelius Griffen - Reynaldo Wynn

DT - Joe Salave'a - Kedric Golston

DE - Anthony Spencer - Demetric Evans

OLB - Lance Briggs - Rocky McIntosh

MLB - London Fletcher - Khary Campbell

OLB - Marcus Washington - Lemar Marshall

CB - Shawn Springs - Fred Smoot

CB - Carlos Rogers - Ade Jimoh

S - Sean Taylor - Vernon Fox - Reed Doughty

S - Pierson Prioleau - Omar Stoutmire

There are about 2 spots where we could use some depth but the starters are solid (depth issues in bold)

Tim Crowder is a 4 year starter at UT but did not emerge until last year. Has not missed a game due to injury in his college career. Is very solid at the point of attack excelling against the run. Does not have good burst at the whistle. Despite being a 4 year starter he still has issues with blockers being able to get into his body because he doesn't use his hands well. he was a leader last year for UT and a defensive leader for the team that won a national championship.

I'm not overly interested in with this guy for the above highlighted reasons. In the NFL if you can't explode at the whistle, and use your hands to fight off blockers and get to the ball carrier then you will not be effective.

If the Briggs trade goes through, I wouldn't mind us trading the #31 overall to the Falcons, Bucs or Jets for their 2 2nd round draft choices.

ESPECIALLY the Falcons. We could use all that depth. I wouldn't mind Lamar Woodley, and then maybe trade the second one down a little and pick up a third so as to pick up Josh Wilson :D

]']ESPECIALLY the Falcons. We could use all that depth. I wouldn't mind Lamar Woodley' date=' and then maybe trade the second one down a little and pick up a third so as to pick up Josh Wilson :D[/quote']

Josh Wilson would look sweeet in B&G!

Archived