Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

so lets say we do sign briggs

alright. its time to compare the big splashes/ trades with the players we drafted.

splashes/ trades losing picks..

1. bailey for portis. and we lost our second rounder..bailey constant probowler. clinton is awesome. id have to say we lost that trade by a hairline..

2.dion... he was still good but not great like he use to be. ok pick up but with the money we paid for him, wasnt worth it..

3. bruce smith.. i rooted for him, had high expectations for him. let me down.

4. dana stubblefield (btw i will be breakin down his kitchen april 1 demo jobs) anywaysy back to football. stubble who. did he even exist when he played for us.. pick up not good.

5. micheal barrow/ eagles middlelinebacker? the eff his name. anyways both didnt achieve the ladder we expected. bad pick-ups..

6. adam archeletta. all still ratting about how he sucks.. no comment.

7. brandon loyld.. not to much positiive threads so bad pick up.

8.marcus washington. good pick.

9.cornelious griffith. another good one.

10. phillip daniels. couple good games. other than that. got a PHD on PD.

11. springs. good injury prone.. little above average pick up.

12.etc.......

vrs

the Draft.

sean taylor.

carlos rodgers.

jason campbell.

chris cooley.

avar arrington.

taylor jacobs..

come to think about it. dang not to much come to mind when i think about our draftees. its cause we lose most of them thru stupid trades. but if we look at the draft picks since gibbs on board. its all a success. i say from now lets have some patience and build threw the draft.. mold these young players into great players into a great team instead of taking a good player from a great team trying put their skills into a lousy team. (our team played lousy) it dont work that way. ever heard the saying timing is everything. in the game of football its all about timing. from routerunning to delay blitz, to time with the same team. time with the team buildschemistry. chemistry is calling a audible and everybody is on the same page. but how can we jell if we always letting players go and picking up new ones. pointing fingers at players is one thing but point finger at the ownership is another. can i point my finger at snyder for our downfall?

It'd be an illusion. Even in '05 our Dline was pretty bad, especially at pressuring. Many of us noted that Williams was doing it with smoke and mirrors. Pressure was always brought by a corner blitz, a safety blitz, a linebacker blitz. Whenever we needed to rely on our line the qb became a hof probowler.

Briggs is a fine linebacker, but he's got a very, very good Dline in front of him and what he seems to excel at Marshall does well and Rocky has solid potential. Plus, why give away the farm to get another team's disgruntled guy. If he wants out buy him on the cheap don't give away the farm. There's no reason to do this trade.

To be fair, it might be a bit premature to be bragging about the success drafting quality players since Gibbs returned. Sean Taylor was a top 10 draft pick and most of the time players taken at that stage are expected to perform at high levels. The Cooley trade also worked out well, gotta love that guy. That being said, Carlos Rogers did not play as well as a cornerback picked inside the top 10 should be expected to, and we have set to see Jason Campbell play a full season at quarterback.

In free agency, the team has had some hits and misses. With the exceptions of Carter and Randle-El, the 2005 offseason was a doozie. However, you cant ignore the fact that the FO has let go of some players who wanted out and replaced them with guys I would much rather have representing the B&G. Losing guys like Pierce and Clark hurts, but did smoot really deserve that 45 million dollar contract from the Vikings, or Dockery the 47 million happy meals that Buffalo is paying for? While I'm not sold on the FA over the draft approach we have taken in recent years, the draft is as much a game of luck as free agency is, it just happens to cost a lot less money.

Good thread, this would have gotten lost on the 27 pages of the shaffer thread.

Anyways I am on the Fence on this trade. I want to see what we can get on Draft day but considering no one knows the Washington situation, I can see this happening.

Trade for Briggs

31st sign a DE or DT (Deep draft in these positions)

Trade next years #1 for a early second - Draft the other DE or DT or FS

I would prefer another pick from chicago, they have two seconds so a third should be doable.

Why do I feel like I have heard things like I have heard tonight from skins fans before?

Oh yeah:

"AW MAN! WITH JESSE ARMSTEAD, JEREMIAH TROTTER, AND LAVAR ARRINGTON, WE'RE SURE TO HAVE A GREAT DEFENSE!!!"

Also, does "DinzelWashington" purposely spell things...specifically names.... incorrectly? I can't tell if it is a case of bad spelling, bad typing, bad grammar, or a gigantic elaborate joke I am not in on.

I don't want Briggs.... I think we need to sit on this. Briggs could end up cut midseason or just before it, and then we could pick him up for a much easier sum.

Don't take the bait joe! wait the bears organization out on this one, just like you've been doing to denver. Then come draft day, watch those picks roll in ;)

I think we should focus on the DE issue, we have enough LB.

Briggs will cost us a lot, in terms of draft picks and salary, moreover he was outstanding in Tampa 2 defense which is different from Williams' defense.

LMAO 1 SACK? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I am going to buy my jersey from skins store right now.

That sounds Lamar Marshallish to me.

If we talking Merriman and 17 sacks IN 12 GAMES . YES. Briggs and 3.5 career sacks. NO

Part this is the scheme. Tampa-2 relies on the DL pressuring the QB. There's not a lot of blitzing going on in that defense.

Part this is the scheme. Tampa-2 relies on the DL pressuring the QB. There's not a lot of blitzing going on in that defense.

Sounds about opposite of what are DL is able to do.

He had one of the best front four playing in Chi town. He had the best 4-3 MLB in the NFL next to him.

This is ludicrous to think that he is going to come here and play to those same standards. We have neither a good DL nor do we have a MLB near Urlacher.

Plus we tie up a major amount of cash in him. CATO JUNE got 12mil. Whats Briggs going to want?

What about the thought of resigning Cooley before he hits FA next year?

This is so Snyderesque that I can't not believe it.

do you all seriously jump all over EVERY single trade rumor that happens?

or better yet, you do you all seriously think that every move we make is going to be a success?

Briggs had the luxary of playing next to Urlacher and Ogunleye. Playing with such a great defense is going to make players look good.

We already have a decent LB core. I dont see the need to let the #6 pick to add another. I would much rather just use the 6 on Landry and keep our LB's as is.

Sounds about opposite of what are DL is able to do.

He had one of the best front four playing in Chi town. He had the best 4-3 MLB in the NFL next to him.

This is ludicrous to think that he is going to come here and play to those same standards. We have neither a good DL nor do we have a MLB near Urlacher.

Plus we tie up a major amount of cash in him. CATO JUNE got 12mil. Whats Briggs going to want?

What about the thought of resigning Cooley before he hits FA next year?

This is so Snyderesque that I can't not believe it.

I agree. Trading for him is a huge risk. Maybe he would thrive in GWs defense. Marcus Washington did coming over from the Colts. But they would probably have to pay close to what Joey Porter got, which is around $20 mil gureenteed.

Bad trade. We have more pressing needs closer to the line. We need to determine if Rocky is going to be a part of this Defense or not this year. Stud DE, that is what we need to trade or draft. Then we need to lock up Cooley. Let Briggs walk.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2814052

Redskins may put together offer for Bears' Briggs

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- While a proposal has yet to be formalized, the Washington Redskins will make a trade offer to the Chicago Bears aimed at acquiring two-time Pro Bowl weakside linebacker Lance Briggs, agent Drew Rosenhaus and two league sources told ESPN.com late Monday night.

Even Len doesn't know. His headline suggests a rumor, then his story insists it's nearly a done deal, pending an official offer & acceptance.

You know I am very Glad you brought up Joey Porter. If we were really that bad for a Linebacker, why did we not try to snag him with a 7 year deal or something? I mean do you think Briggs will take less then porter got?

We better be moving to a 3-4 defense or something. Anything else would make us look utterly moronic. We traded so much to move up for Rocky, why? So he could sit on the bench? Will Lemar Marshall even see the field?

DL = HUUUUUGE NEED

LB = Not so much

its a NIIIICE

the more and more everyone talks about not getting the guy the more likely its gonna happen. since when do we get what we want or what we think is the best move.. when we got santana, who wanted the injury pron cat that didn't do much in ny.... we drafted rogers early and he still not ready... there is two sides two every coin last i checked and when we get briggs and tears s**t up this year i dont want to hear nuttin... i wish i could store all these negative posts somewhere.. rocky still need another two years before he ready also....

the more and more everyone talks about not getting the guy the more likely its gonna happen. since when do we get what we want or what we think is the best move.. when we got santana, who wanted the injury pron cat that didn't do much in ny.... we drafted rogers early and he still not ready... there is two sides two every coin last i checked and when we get briggs and tears s**t up this year i dont want to hear nuttin... i wish i could store all these negative posts somewhere.. rocky still need another two years before he ready also....

I don't think anyone(not many atleast) are questioning Briggs' talent on the field. I think the problem most of us have is that there are bigger needs on this team than another LB.

what does our opening day defense look like?

we obviously would have an elite LB corps, thats for certain. briggs/fletcher/washington is a pretty ridiculous combo. but that still doesnt solve our horrendous D-line issue. and youve gotta wonder is briggs really that good? or did he benefit a lot from playing with urlacher? what do we do with our d-line issues? maybe snyder is floating this just to mess with other teams or are we actually that serious. im confused people!! im just looking for everyones opinions, lord knows this place has got em! :D

no ish shirlock. thats why we're not going to get Briggs.

Archived