Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Other DEs - Worth a read if we move down to #31

RIDETHEWALRUS

Heaps of conversation regarding Adams and Anderson has crossed this board. However little discussion has emerged regarding the other DEs in this draft, in particular a few guys likely to go in the first three rounds. If we do trade down a few spots and pick up a second or third rounder we have to have an idea who we take. With that in mind I am gonna throw out a few names of some very intriguing prospects and give a summary of other people's scouting reports.

Tim Crowder (Texas)

6-4, 272 lbs, 4.69 40

32 reps of 225 lbs

Crowder is a four year starter for UT, last year he really showed alot. Had 18 TFL, and 10.5 sacks. Depending on the mock he is predicted to go anywhere from early 2nd to the bottom of the third. Very impressive on the field, stout against the run and a better pass-rusher than most people give him credit for. Played for an elite team in an elite conference.

LaMarr Woodley (Michigan)

6-2, 266 lbs, 4.79 40

Very effective getting into the backfield. Had 16.5 TFL, and 12 sacks last year. A bit undersized and may be overpowered in the NFL. Scouting reports say he is a very hard worker and a team leader. Look for him to go in the mid-second to early third.

Ikaika Alama-Francis (Hawaii)

6-5, 280 lbs, 4.75 40

Very raw player with excellent physical gifts. Only has 3 years of football experience so he will need a lot of work. Had 10 TFL and 4 sacks his senior year. Played basketball for Hawaii his freshman year before joining the football team. Put on 70 lbs in 3 years while still maintaining his athleticism. Is predicted to go mid-third or later. I am particularly intrigued by this guy because he clearly has one hell of a work ethic. To come into a new sport put on 70 lbs and still reamin ridiculously athletic takes a ton of effort (or steroids but he hasn't gotten into any trouble from what I know).

Victor Abiamiri (Notre Dame)

6-4, 276, 4.8 40

25 reps of 225 lbs

Had 15 TFL and 10.5 sacks his senior year. Some consider him a tweener but I just don't see it. He is strong against the run and very effective getting to the QB. Predicted to go mid-to late 1st. I don't know too much about the guy but he has gotten a bit of hype around him.

There are a number of other names out there, feel free to post DEs to be available late in the first or another round that you might be interested in.

I am all about making a move down for Crowder myself.

Aside from Texas two years ago.....I don't think any team in that conference has won a national title in the last 20 years. Like the Big 10, the conference is crazily overrated.

I prefer to see the Skins take players from the SEC of course, or from the state of Florida.....like Miami, FSU or Florida.

But his stats are impressive.....and God knows we can use at least one, if not two additions in that position in case an injury hits a starter. Nice thread, you have obviously done your work.....now lets hope the FO is aware of these players.

:logo:

Good post. Thanks for th info, good players to consider especially crowder. I hope we stay away from the smaller outside linebacker types like Lamar Woodley. We already have Andre Carter and need someone to challenge Daniels at the other DE spot. I keep having dreams of a DeMarcus Ware type kid coming in to take that spot away from Daniels or at least rotate with him.

I am not too worried about going after a guy a little undersized. I quite frankly believe that Daniels is serviceable for another year. Plus, lets face it, a rookie isn't going to start for Gregg Williams (see Rocky and ST) unless there is absolutely no other option. This would give some of the smaller guys an opportunity to bulk up a little bit before getting serious PT.

Aside from Texas two years ago.....I don't think any team in that conference has won a national title in the last 20 years. Like the Big 10, the conference is crazily overrated.

I prefer to see the Skins take players from the SEC of course, or from the state of Florida.....like Miami, FSU or Florida.

But his stats are impressive.....and God knows we can use at least one, if not two additions in that position in case an injury hits a starter. Nice thread, you have obviously done your work.....now lets hope the FO is aware of these players.

Never heard of the Sooners? They won in 2000. Nebraska was pretty dominant in the mid 90's. They won in 94,95, and shared a title with Michigan in 97

Besides Carriker who we've discussed a bit, if we dropped later in the ist round possibly early 2nd, one of these guys might be available. All rated higher than the players on the first post so they aren't given to make it to the 2nd round but should be there if we trade down in the first.

Anthony Spencer

(6'2 ", 266, 4.65) |

Overall: Spencer arrived at Purdue in 2002 and was redshirted. In 2003 as a redshirt freshman, he tore some foot ligaments during spring practice which limited him early on but he then saw action in 10 of 13 games as a reserve defensive end and on special teams, posting six total tackles and 0.5 tackles for loss. Spencer won a starting spot for all 12 contests in 2004 and recorded 33 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, and three forced fumbles. In 2005, he once again started every game (11) for Purdue and registered 23 tackles including 7.5 for loss, three sacks, one fumble recovery, and three forced fumbles. In 14 games during the 2006 season, Spencer made 93 total tackles, 26.5 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, one fumble recovery, five forced fumbles, blocked one kick, and was named to the All-Big Ten First Team.

Charles Johnson

DE | (6'2", 271, 4.75) | GEORGIA

Overall: Johnson appeared in nine of 12 games as a true freshman in 2004, recording six tackles, one tackle for loss, one sack, and one forced fumble. He played off the bench in all 13 contests during the 2005 season and registered 23 tackles including 8.5 for loss, four sacks, one forced fumble, and two fumble recoveries, returning one for a touchdown. Johnson took over as a starter for all 13 games in 2006 and made 44 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, one fumble recovery, and three forced fumbles and was selected to the All-SEC Second Team.

Johnson's potential is somewhat limited by his below-average height and pedestrian top-end speed. However, he is a powerful and quick defensive end with good toughness versus the run and a relentless approach as a pass rusher. He projects as a late-first or second-round pick.

Jarvis Moss

DE | (6'5 ", 256, 4.65) | FLORIDA

Overall: Moss battled hernia problems prior to the start of the 2003 season, dressed for three total contests appearing in one game against Florida A&M (Sept. 13) when he registered five total tackles, but dealt with some more pelvic-area muscle trouble throughout the year and received a medical redshirt. He returned in 2004 after practicing some at linebacker in the preseason but only appeared in the season opener against Eastern Michigan (Sept. 11) as a redshirt freshman. Moss then played in the final 11 games during Florida's 12-game 2005 season, mostly on third-down, and recorded 25 total tackles including nine for loss, 7.5 sacks, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery. Moss started 13 of 14 games in 2006, missing the Western Carolina game (Nov. 18) because of suspension, and registered 56 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, four forced fumbles, and two blocked kicks.

I'd prefer taking a DE/DT with our frist rounder and our fourth rounder. THe first rounder would be more based on the rankings (Branch/Anderson/Adams) - but the fourth rounder could be a guy who was really a workhorse in college. Kinda like we did last year with the two DTs. The first guy, Montgomery was a gamble, but Golston was a hard worker.

Seeing how we have no dominant players at DE or DT, I'd like to spend that first pick on either position on just a dominant prospect. And seeing how we have no youth at the DE position, I'd kinda like seeing us draft somebody who is a hard worker and can rush the passer with our 4th rounder (or if we trade down, with our 2nd or 3rd rounder).

Never heard of the Sooners? They won in 2000. Nebraska was pretty dominant in the mid 90's. They won in 94,95, and shared a title with Michigan in 97

I was about to say. Just cause a player is not from a strong conference, doesn't mean he is not good. Otherwise, in the past 6 years, that'd mean that the only players in the NFL are from the SEC schools, The U, and USC. We know we got a lot of players from those places, but that's not where they all are from.

You are 100% right. I stand corrected. I suppose my judgement is impaired due to the losses in 2001, 2003 and 2004. The conference is very similiar to the Big 10.....where there are only two above average teams...Ohio State and Michigan. Whoever wins that game, wins the conference every year, and for some reason, gets a crazy amount of support--even if the rest of the conference is weak.

For years it was the winner of Nebraska vs. Oklahoma....but I think that is over since 2004. Fans were going to riot if Oklahoma somehow sneaked into another national title game. It is hard to say that a Texas Tech or Texas has been a great team over the prior 25 or 30 years.

You are 100% right. I stand corrected. I suppose my judgement is impaired due to the losses in 2001, 2003 and 2004. The conference is very similiar to the Big 10.....where there are only two above average teams...Ohio State and Michigan. Whoever wins that game, wins the conference every year, and for some reason, gets a crazy amount of support--even if the rest of the conference is weak.

For years it was the winner of Nebraska vs. Oklahoma....but I think that is over since 2004. Fans were going to riot if Oklahoma somehow sneaked into another national title game. It is hard to say that a Texas Tech or Texas has been a great team over the prior 25 or 30 years.

20-25 years really has no bearing on whether or not a guy like Crowder faced a high level of competition. He did face good teams. Not that I'm advocating him because unless we pick up a second rounder he's not even on our radar. Even then I'm not really sure I'd take him. He's not all that impressive.

Every couple of years there is a guy coming out of Hawaii that plays well in the NFL and every year there is a Hawaiian boy playing well. Ilama Francis is Samoan and a beast. You can go back to Seau and up to Piso and find good players out of the islands. Maybe you like Polamalu. I'd like to see Francis come here.

Armchair: much as it pains me to say so (UCLA born-and-bred) 'SC beat the Sooners about as bad as you can be beat three years after that title, and those Cornhusker teams didn't exactly have to stare down juggernauts during Tom Osbore's career-ending blaze of glory. Big 12 isn't the conf the Pac-10 is, much less the SEC. Days of Longhorn/Sooner glory long gone my friend...

Victor Abiamiri (Notre Dame)

6-4, 276, 4.8 40

25 reps of 225 lbs

Had 15 TFL and 10.5 sacks his senior year. Some consider him a tweener but I just don't see it. He is strong against the run and very effective getting to the QB. Predicted to go mid-to late 1st. I don't know too much about the guy but he has gotten a bit of hype around him.

One of the things that makes me wary of Abiamiri is that he got, literally, almost every sack against the worst teams they played; whereas you look at a guy like Anderson who got most of his sacks against some of the best teams in the country (Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, Wisconsin). IMO that says quite a bit.

Armchair: much as it pains me to say so (UCLA born-and-bred) 'SC beat the Sooners about as bad as you can be beat three years after that title, and those Cornhusker teams didn't exactly have to stare down juggernauts during Tom Osbore's career-ending blaze of glory. Big 12 isn't the conf the Pac-10 is, much less the SEC. Days of Longhorn/Sooner glory long gone my friend...

So does any of what you're saying make it any less true that the teams I mentioned won a national title when it was claimed that none of the Big 12 had won a national title in 20 years since the Horns did?

Glory days are long gone even though the Horns won a title just the year before last? Not only did they win, but they destroyed almost every team on the way. Then beat a USC team that was just as dominant and most people were ready to hand the title to even before the game.

The Sooners went to the championship in Jan 04 after an undefeated regular season and dismantling UCLA 59-24 on the way. Then lost to LSU in NO by 7.

Yup, those glory days are long gone. I'm sure Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska won't stand a chance for a long time because, well, the facts are overwhelming that they can't compete.

Also, here's a couple of facts that speak more directly to the point of Texas and draft picks.

Most top ten draft picks in last 6 years

Texas 7

Miami 5

USC 4

Most top five draft picks last 6 years

Texas 5

Auburn 2

Mia 2

One of the things that makes me wary of Abiamiri is that he got, literally, almost every sack against the worst teams they played; whereas you look at a guy like Anderson who got most of his sacks against some of the best teams in the country (Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, Wisconsin). IMO that says quite a bit.

I understand that Adams, Anderson, Carriker, Branch, and Okoye are all better prospects than the guys I have listed. There is a reason these guys are expected to go in the top 10-15 while my list is of guys looking at rd 2 or later.

Given our severe lack of picks I do not doubt one bit that we may trade down and pick up a lesser known DE or a guy who's stock has dropped.

Abirimi is a guy whe has seen his stock plummet. I am not quite sure why though, last year he was considered one of the best DEs in college, his numbers improved this year and now people are saying he may last until the third.

He or Crowder would likely get significant reps and give solid production for us next year. It would also free us up to take another position with our first pick if we are so inclined.

For instance...we can drop down three places and net ourselves the 5th pick in the third round. At 9 there is a solid chance Landry is still available (if that is your cup of tea). We take him and have a fairly good shot of netting Abirimiri in the third.

If that doesn't suit our needs...we could trade down 5 spots and include a 2nd rounder next year to get the #11 overall and the 11th pick in the 2nd round. Then we could get that young MLB many here have coveted (patrick Willis) or we could always go DT. Then in the 2nd round we could solidify our D that much further with Crowder.

My point is that we should take a serious look at the DEs available in the 2nd and third because they are really solid. This would give us significantly more flexibility in our drafting and likely produce a greater benefit than taking one flashy player.

To be honest I have no idea why Crowder doesn't get much attention. He started 4 years for UT and really excelled last year. His measureables are all on par with the top DEs being discussed and he has never gotten in any trouble down in Austin (an easy city to get in trouble in).

If we do make this trade and move to #31 I wouldn't hesitate to draft Crowder.

I like Jarvis Moss, to me his is a Javon Kearse clone the only thing would be how he could play the run in the NFL but the number 1 thing the Redskins need is a pass rusher and that is what he is. I dont know if he makes it to 31 but he would be a good pick there if he did.

1995? Nebraska?

Archived