Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kiper Q & A Redskins

Skinsinparadise

Mel knows what he is talking about and is not a product of the ESPN bullcrap. He does, however, miss on a lot of what teams will pick and when. His best asset is he knows all of the obscure/late round players and gives great info on those guys. That is his forte'.

Agree...the man knows about college players' strengths and weaknesses, but no one knows what's going to happen on draft day. Case in point, last year Reggie Bush wasn't drafted #1. That was one of the most absurd things I've ever seen on draft day. How do you not select Reggie Bush #1?

Mel knows what he is talking about and is not a product of the ESPN bullcrap. He does, however, miss on a lot of what teams will pick and when. His best asset is he knows all of the obscure/late round players and gives great info on those guys. That is his forte'.

I agree with this. Kiper knows what he's talking about, as well as anyone could. None of this is an exact science. Teams also make bad decisions, so he can't predict what teams will do... he'll only give his opinion on what they should do. I like Mel, and what he does for College Football, the NFL draft and ESPN. He is also local and likes the Redskins.

With how much we've bolstered our secondary and linebackers, I'm actually fine with Carter/Daniels as our ends. I think DT is the most pressing need. The trade-up for CJ though is looking more and more likely. I won't be angry if it happens.

"But CJ is a bust"

"Charles Rogers"

"Michael Westbrook"

"Mike Williams"

"Rod Gardner"

"I'm an idiot and do not understand what I am talking about because I only think that WRs, not DEs, or DTs, will be a bust"

We have to pick a DE? I just don't understand Mel sometimes. :confused:

We have no legit stud DE's. We've got some old run stuffers (Wynn), some creaky formerly mediocre pass rushers (Daniels), we've got a subpar situational rusher (Evans), we've got a nearing middle aged borderline above average pass rusher (Carter) and that's it.

At DT we have a guy two years removed from a pro bowl caliber year, and some nice rotational guys, with some youth.

Both slots are bad and could be justified, but I think Mel feels that while both positions are very tough to fill, you can usually track down a solid run stuffer who might have penetration skills with a later pick, but getting a legit stud edge rusher is damn near impossible outside the blue chip zone. Doesn't happen very often and we need to take advantage of it. That's what I imagine he's thinking.

To me, you could justifiy either tack. Going after a DT should free up our ends to get back to mediocrity at least, and address our run stuffing issues. Getting an edge rusher would probably help take pressure off the corners if he was actually good. Of course we probably won't see the dividends even if we are successful until '08 or '09 but that's how it looks to me.

He's also unreasonable in saying we lost a chance at 2-3 starters when we traded away all those picks in those brain dead deals. I agree the trades were stupid. That being said, since when have the redskins hit on rounds 1-4? Answer is NEVER. Hell we haven't even hit in the 1st and 2nd round since '99 and that took a trade up with the Raiders to be accomplished.

In those rounds we haven't been awful finding starters. Just off the top of my head.

Betts -- 2nd rounder

Cooley -- 3rd rounder

Dockery -- 3rd rounder

Smoot -- 2nd rounder

Jansen -- 2nd rounder

4th round I agree, mostly busts. Stephen Davis years back was a good 4th rounder.

Problem is we love to trade 2nd and third rounders so we don't have a huge history to look at.

In this draft DE is so deep if we had a 2nd rounder -- we could sign Okoye for a DT with the first or Landry lets say. And acquire a good DE prospect -- we'd have a high 2nd giving us a chance to obtain someone like Anthony Spencer or Charles Johnson, etc. We'd have a decent chance with our third too becuase again its a high third. What really stinks about losing these draft picks is that they are all high up in the rounds.

In those rounds we haven't been awful finding starters. Just off the top of my head.

Betts -- 2nd rounder

Cooley -- 3rd rounder

Dockery -- 3rd rounder

Smoot -- 2nd rounder

Jansen -- 2nd rounder

4th round I agree, mostly busts. Stephen Davis years back was a good 4th rounder.

Problem is we love to trade 2nd and third rounders so we don't have a huge history to look at.

In this draft DE is so deep if we had a 2nd rounder -- we could sign Okoye for a DT with the first or Landry lets say. And acquire a good DE prospect -- we'd have a high 2nd giving us a chance to obtain someone like Anthony Spencer or Charles Johnson, etc. We'd have a decent chance with our third too becuase again its a high third. What really stinks about losing these draft picks is that they are all high up in the rounds.

How can you forget about Sean Taylor? =P

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Kiper's big thing is Mock Drafts. He doesn't really claim to have the insight into what teams are looking for so much as he knows what certain players are able to do and project to do at the next level.

It's for this reason alone that you wouldn't want anyone else there on the second day of the draft. Mel knows things about those guys that no one knows.

Archived