Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kiper Q & A Redskins

Skinsinparadise

Has anyone actually compared his mock drafts to what actually happens? How accurate is he, or is he just a product of ESPN talking him up?

Mel picks the guys who he thinks the team should take not the guys he thinks the team thinks it should take. He also tends to take as input only what is FACT, the only speculation is his. So, you can't compare his mock to the real draft. I also think he is considering who would be the BEST pick at the slot for the team picking, not the GOOD ENOUGH pick at the slot for the team. Further, people, at least in team situations, don't become a success or failure in a vacuum. Even a good player in the wrong environment is likely to fail while a mediocre player in the right enviroment is likely to succeed. Getting the right opportunity is also very important. So, you can't compare hits and misses. Not really how you could grade a mock like he does.

Why all the hate for Mel Kiper?? Come on!! Mel is the man on draft day. He's a ridiculously prepared, Rain-Man-Like Draft Encyclopedia. I don't know how you can't like Mel. ESPN actually needs to let him take the gloves off on draft day and be the way he was about 12 - 15 years ago.

It's obvious why Kiper is at ESPN. He creates good media material.

It doesn't matter one damn bit how his "picks" pan out, so long as he continues to draw viewers and/or subscribers.

Kiper only begrudgingly does the "Mock Drafts". As someone else said earlier, what he does well is grade players and tell you their strengths and weaknesses. His player assessments are pretty spot on. People love to point out his misses but overall I think he does a good job. Considering the actual GMs miss about half the time he does alright.

Chris: With Arch being shipped out of DC, do you see the Skins taking Landry? If not, then who would you take?

sn2.gifMel Kiper: No. The Redskins are going to be looking at DE or DT. That's their primary need area. This is typical of the Redskins, they're active in free agency. I say sometimes too active, but this year they've been a little smarter in free agency. London Fletcher-Baker was a good signing for them. He made a lot of sense for the Redskins to sign. That was their key signing. The problem with the Redskins is that they don't have a 2, 3 or 4. They gave up three starters that they could have drafted. Now everyone knows that they want to move down off of No. 6. But they have to pick a DE - either Adams or Anderson.

Mel is absolutely correct, the most inane thing we did was to sign Duckett and give up a third rounder for him. Cerrato and the entire redskin scouting group need to be seriously abashed for their decisions. !! :mad:

Kiper's commentary is at its best when assessing college prospects. The more he talks about the pro teams the less informed he is. I'd much rather listen to John Clayton regarding the pro teams.

I agree. Kiper is really good at analyzing players, but not entirely on how they would fit onto specific teams.

Regardless, I think he's pretty much spot-on with this assessment. The consensus pick is a defensive linemen, and it probably should be.

i hope we get cj he is the best receiver on the board and has a great attitude... the smart thing will be to draft jc a top notch receiver for the next ten years or so.. will also open more room for cooley, santana, and randell el..

I would rather listen to Kiper than most of the people on this board! Why don't all the critics show us your predictions from all the past drafts? I will take Kiper in any bet. He will be correct more often than the critics. Let's see how you fare, when your record is exposed for all the world. Everyone is a critic. Let's see you get out there and compete.

Any Yes, good scouting departments and front offices can regularly parlay 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks into decent starters.

:logo:

Why all the hate for Mel Kiper?? Come on!! Mel is the man on draft day. He's a ridiculously prepared, Rain-Man-Like Draft Encyclopedia. I don't know how you can't like Mel. ESPN actually needs to let him take the gloves off on draft day and be the way he was about 12 - 15 years ago.

No kidding, the gloves are off a little when he is on the radio, but things have changed now when the cameras come on. About 10-15 years ago, Kiper would really give a team the business if they made a bad pick. And he normally turns out to be right.

My favorit, after the Jets took Jeff Lageman in the first round in 1989: "It's obvious the Jets have no idea what the draft is all about."

Chris: With Arch being shipped out of DC, do you see the Skins taking Landry? If not, then who would you take?

sn2.gifMel Kiper: No. The Redskins are going to be looking at DE or DT. That's their primary need area. This is typical of the Redskins, they're active in free agency. I say sometimes too active, but this year they've been a little smarter in free agency. London Fletcher-Baker was a good signing for them. He made a lot of sense for the Redskins to sign. That was their key signing. The problem with the Redskins is that they don't have a 2, 3 or 4. They gave up three starters that they could have drafted. Now everyone knows that they want to move down off of No. 6. But they have to pick a DE - either Adams or Anderson.

I do not see anything wrong with this assessment. I would consider it highly unlikely that we would end up with Landry or Johnson. Those just are not our biggest position of need. We need to figure out how to get a pass rush, and I think that will come from a DE, either Anderson or Carriker. I don't think we have the same interest in Adams as we used to because of his size and Carriker's stock seems to be rising.

Although there is a decent chance we trade down and pick a DT, but we better not move down too far if we want Okoye.

I do not see anything wrong with this assessment. I would consider it highly unlikely that we would end up with Landry or Johnson. Those just are not our biggest position of need. We need to figure out how to get a pass rush, and I think that will come from a DE, either Anderson or Carriker. I don't think we have the same interest in Adams as we used to because of his size and Carriker's stock seems to be rising.

Although there is a decent chance we trade down and pick a DT, but we better not move down too far if we want Okoye.

Trade down, pick up the best available player of need...Carricker, Branch, Okoye, or Landry, bottom line...WE NEED MORE PICKS.

Trade down, pick up the best available player of need...Carricker, Branch, Okoye, or Landry, bottom line...WE NEED MORE PICKS.

We do need more picks, but I don't want to trade down just for the sake of trading down and missing an opportunity on one of the guys you mention. Any of those guys could really step in and make a difference, but we could easily miss out if we don't watch it. Say we drop to like No. 20. All of those guys are going to be gone and we are going to pick someone that might not be as good of a fit.

Sure, we would have more picks, but first I want to make sure we get a difference-maker with our first.

The bottom line is, nobody is going to know what direction we are going to go until the fifth pick is made. There just are so many directions everything can go right now.

We do need more picks, but I don't want to trade down just for the sake of trading down and missing an opportunity on one of the guys you mention. Any of those guys could really step in and make a difference, but we could easily miss out if we don't watch it. Say we drop to like No. 20. All of those guys are going to be gone and we are going to pick someone that might not be as good of a fit.

Sure, we would have more picks, but first I want to make sure we get a difference-maker with our first.

The bottom line is, nobody is going to know what direction we are going to go until the fifth pick is made. There just are so many directions everything can go right now.

I hear ya, but this is how you test the FO...make them have to make the decision to trade down or stay pat or to take the "risky" boom or bust type player. If we trade down twice and end up with a couple 2nd's or 3rd's but we are forced to try to make a hard decision with our first rounder in the 20's it will be a good way to gauge how competent they actually are.

Landry Anderson or Johnson, I can really care less at this point, cause we wont be a complete team with either of em, but they are all studs.

Correct my man. I dont care who we draft as long as we don't draft that bum Branch. After that Ohio State game I really dont care to much for him.

The problem with the Redskins is that they don't have a 2, 3 or 4. They gave up three starters that they could have drafted. Now everyone knows that they want to move down off of No. 6.

Does anyone think we'll lose leverage in a trade down situation because of this? I can see us getting lowballed in a trade offer because people know we want more picks and we won't get proper value.

Archived