Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something to keep in mind about Calvin Johnson: Kellen Winslow Jr.

Dirk Diggler

Talent, pure talent. The kid could flat our play, and play ball real well

What you did was make a comparision that Calvin Johnson could be KW2 with the title of your thread

You are warning us about Calvin Johnson because of what happened to KW2. What I am arguing, and what any Big East fan between 2001-2003 will argue is that this is not the case. CJ as a person is much less of a risk then KW2 was coming out of college. Its in the tape, its in the actions on the field. I'll be happy to search for some quotes from him criticizing Brock Berlin during the 2003 season, who was 10 times the QB Reggie Ball was. Find me quotes from CJ on Reggie Ball

OMG this is getting tedious. Did you read anything besides the title? The premise of the the post was that CJ (if drafted by us) was going to be limited by the ability of his QB - just like KW is now. I don't know why that doesn't register or why you've turned this into a debate about CJ/KW's character. You're acting like KW was considered a character risk when that just wasn't the case in April of 2004. NFL people/draftniks were talking about KW just like CJ is being talked about right now.

When all is said and done - CJ will be right in the same ballpark (maybe a little higher) as a prospect as was KW in 2004.

OMG this is getting tedious. Did you read anything besides the title? The premise of the the post was that CJ (if drafted by us) was going to be limited by the ability of his QB - just like KW is now. I don't know why that doesn't register or why you've turned this into a debate about CJ/KW's character.

When all is said and done - CJ will be right in the same ballpark (maybe a little higher) as a prospect as was KW in 2004.

I read your first post talking about KW being limited by the abilities of Brunell and comparing it to how the development of JC would be the key to if CJ would have any success here

To argue that A) you can't compare the abilities of CJ and KW2 and B) CJ is the type of athlete, AND person that would make JC's job that much easier at QB

And I have proven beyond a doubt that KW2 was a character risk coming out of school

The truth of the matter is, if KWII doesn't get major injuries to his knees this early in his career, he probably would have posted great TE numbers. He may not return to full strength, maybe ever, but he managed to put up good numbers on a worthless offensive unit this past season. During the pre-draft hype in 2004, KWII was rated very high and deservedly so.

CJ also deserves as much hype as he is getting. All this talk of the draft being a crapshoot always makes my eyes roll. Sure the draft is a crapshoot in some respect, but don't tell me GM's and teams do not hit more home runs with first rounders than in any other round. CJ's hype is based on all the factors that draft picks are graded upon. Film, measurables, and character. On film he looked like he was playing with children and had he not had a horrible QB/offense he would have posted up greater numbers. His measurables need not mentioning; I mean come on, 6'4"-4.3 40 time, etc, etc. Last but not least, his interviews with scouts and investigations into his life have unearthed a person who is nothing short of good man and a hard worker. That is why his draft status is solidified as the #1 prospect in this years draft.

Btw, Sean Taylor was rated the highest player on almost every team's draft board in 2004, besides Manning and Gallery, so it was a no-brainer for the 'Skins brass to select him when their pick came up and he was still available. Rivers was picked cuz of the whole Manning debacle and Fitzgerald was picked before Taylor cuz of his ties to Dennis Green.

We passed on Winslow cause the FO knew we would draft another TE who had a better year in all major TE categories. Except 1 (can't remeber at the moment). We drafted Chris Cooley that year. The college season prior, Cooley had a much more productive year then Winslow. Obviously, Winslow got the light on him cause he played at the "U" and the history of his fathers playing days. Oh, and Winslow is a ****ing soldier.

ill believe this CJ hype when i see him matched up against an NFL CB, not some scrub from some college ive never heard of. its a known fact that lots of college defenses suck, so no one has ever seen CJ playing against any top flight talent. if hes lighting it up after week 2 next season, ill believe the hype. until then, DL please.

First of all, can we please stop talking about Calvin Johnson? He is not going to be available with the sixth pick in the draft.

Second of all, who is to say how KWII would have fit into this offense? He has missed the first two seasons of his career due to injury - he may be the greatest TE of all time when it is said and done. Also, this offense has turned Chris Cooley, who was a no-name coming out of college and has half of KWII's physical gifts, into a household name in the Washington area, as well as a minor star nationwide. Anyone who plays fantasy football, and there are milions of them, knows who Chris Cooley is very well. If KWII lived up to his reputation in Washington the sky is the limit to what his production could have been.

And, oh yeah, one more time: Calvin Johnson is not falling to the #6 pick. End of discussion.

If CJ was around at 6 (which he will not) the question would be "How much is another team willing to give up to get him?"

If it is a boatload of pics and/or players you take that; if not you take CJ and are happy because you just got a sure thing in a roll the dice game. CJ is about as sure a thing as there is coming out of the draft.

I'm getting tired of all the CJ threads. No way in hell he's available at #6. Someone above us is either going to grab him or someone below us will trade with someone above us to grab him. Either way, we can end this discussion.

On a side note, the KWII debate got me thinking - how awesome must it be to be Chris Cooley? Unknown coming out of college, never expected to make it, now he's a superstar in Washington and the most popular player on the team dating the hottest (ex)cheerleader. That's the American Dream for you.

If CJ was around at 6 (which he will not) the question would be "How much is another team willing to give up to get him?"

If it is a boatload of pics and/or players you take that; if not you take CJ and are happy because you just got a sure thing in a roll the dice game. CJ is about as sure a thing as there is coming out of the draft.

I am fully prepared for him not being there at 6...and in all honesty...he may not make it past Detroit. History, of all things, doesn't allow any of us to dispute that.

CJ is the real deal - those up in here...saying otherwise...are just bitter b/c their opinion is quite the opposite...drafting a DE...DT...because its what we "need"...

First of all, can we please stop talking about Calvin Johnson? He is not going to be available with the sixth pick in the draft.

Second of all, who is to say how KWII would have fit into this offense? He has missed the first two seasons of his career due to injury - he may be the greatest TE of all time when it is said and done. Also, this offense has turned Chris Cooley, who was a no-name coming out of college and has half of KWII's physical gifts, into a household name in the Washington area, as well as a minor star nationwide. Anyone who plays fantasy football, and there are milions of them, knows who Chris Cooley is very well. If KWII lived up to his reputation in Washington the sky is the limit to what his production could have been.

And, oh yeah, one more time: Calvin Johnson is not falling to the #6 pick. End of discussion.

You know what prepare to eat crow when he does fall. And the speculation won't stop till after the draft so get over it already.

Amen to that.

I am fully prepared for him not being there at 6...and in all honesty...he may not make it past Detroit. History, of all things, doesn't allow any of us to dispute that.

CJ is the real deal - those up in here...saying otherwise...are just bitter b/c their opinion is quite the opposite...drafting a DE...DT...because its what we "need"...

because we do need defense if we cant stop anybody like last year we wont win many games no matter how many points we put up.

We couldnt even sniff the QB last season Forcing a few more punts or turnovers will help the offense out alot more than an offensive player will.

We couldnt even sniff the QB last season Forcing a few more punts or turnovers will help the offense out alot more than an offensive player will.

A-freakin-men...

Give me our current offense with shorter fields due to more turnovers, sacks and 3-and-outs, and you'll swear CJ was indeed playing for us.

Give us our current defense with CJ on offense, and we're saying things like "If this offense were coupled with even an average defense, we'd be in the playoffs. When is this FO going to finally get decent D-line help?!"

]']Picking Calvin Johnson at number 6 is stupid enough' date=' trading up for him is even stupider than drafting a WR in the top 10 three straight years.[/quote']

If we pick CJ at 6 (which we won't have the opportunity to), I predict Ghost and half the other people ****ing about it will have CJ sigs and/or jerseys within 2 years. Trading up for him may be stupid, with our current scenario, but picking him at 6 is FAR less stupid than passing on him at 6.

If we pick CJ at 6 (which we won't have the opportunity to), I predict Ghost and half the other people ****ing about it will have CJ sigs and/or jerseys within 2 years. Trading up for him may be stupid, with our current scenario, but picking him at 6 is FAR less stupid than passing on him at 6.

Hmmm...

Ghost...and all of those people that include the words "stupid" and "Calvin Johnson" in the same sentence...have absolutely nothing to fall back on. All they have...is "Charles Rogers"...

And when they say that...just combat with "Courtney Brown" - and thus...the cycle of debate is over. Ghost...B Lloyd Xmas...and all of those who oppose the acquisition of Calvin Johnson...apparently know a lot more than the following that are involved with NFL Analysis:

1.) Mel Kiper

2.) Peter King

3.) John Clayton

4.) Seth Wickersham

5.) Matt Williamson

6.) Len Pastabelly

7.) Michael Smith

8.) Todd McShay

9.) Clark Judge

10.) EVERY NFL SCOUT ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET

See what I'm getting at?

Archived