Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We're All Gonna Fly . . . . Yyyyeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh!

headexplode

I'm going it to make my mission to educated the shockingly uneducated - particularly on the Irish literary treasures. I find it distressing that an adult with basic literary skills has not read the works of Jonathan Swift, or at least heard of 'A modest proposal'. :)

For those who like humor, on your reading list for this weekend are the works of Myles Na Gopaleen, aka Flann O'Brien.

The Third Policeman is a good place to start.

From the cover: "THE THIRD POLICEMAN is Flann O'Brien's brilliant comic novel about the nature of time, death, and existence. Told by a narrator who has committed a botched robbery and brutal murder, the novel follows him and his adventures in a two-dimensional police station where he is intruduced to "Atomic Theory" and its relation to bicycles, the existence of eternity (which turns out to be just down the road), and the view that the earth is not round but "sausage-shaped."

I heard that this book was recently featured in Lost.

I hate to say it..... well really I don't :) .........I've never read any of those books .....and actually never heard of any of them either.....and believe it or not I do read.

Just not my cup of tea.....I venture to guess.

Anyway, in the spirit of spreading light to the world :D... Headexplode, you might enjoy the original piece by Swift.

His setup was a little better than yours ;), as he draws in the reader by blathering on for a while about the desperate plight of the poor, before smacking them with the solution.

I think the OP's skin is a little thin, to tell you the truth. If you're gonna come to this riot of a forum with a witheringly dry-humored, semi-sarcastic thread idea like this (forgetting for a moment that the punch line was one I respectfully suggest may not have been wholly original), seems to me you oughta be prepared to take as good as you give.

I disagree, Om. For starters, I didn't intend for there to be a "punchline," as I was not doing a "bit." Perhaps it wasn't original, and for that I am sorry. It was just a funny thought I had. And it is a thought apparently others have had, as well. The point of the thread was sarcastic, absolutely, and I can take it just as well as I dish. That is, in fact, why I can dish it so well, because I've taken it for years. But being labeled a "plagiarist" by McCarthyesque posters who then disappear and respond with a shrug you call them on it is not "dishing it," it's a highly unfair charge that directly insults my integrity in a forum where words count more than anything. All I was doing was trying to start a thread that others might contribute their stupid, sarcastic ideas. For funsies. (I stole that from Scrubs).

Sisyphys, I wasn't mad at you, really, and I accept your flowers, they are very lovely.

Making fun is one thing, calling someone a plagiarist and then running away is bull****, and as moderator and a writer I hoped you would feel the same.

I hate to say it..... well really I don't :) .........I've never read any of those books .....and actually never heard of any of them either.....and believe it or not I do read.

He's a relatively obscure Irish writer, but highly regarded from within the dull, dusty, stuffy world of the condescending literary snob :).

Anyway, in the spirit of spreading light to the world :D... Headexplode, you might enjoy the original piece by Swift.

His setup was a little better than yours ;), as he draws in the reader by blathering on for a while about the desperate plight of the poor, before smacking them with the solution.

I wasn't trying to set it up. The joke at the end resulted from the thread, not the other way around. I started the thread based off Sarge's "We're all gonna die" thread, and changed it to what an uber-optimist might write: "We're all gonna fly." Simple as that. And perhaps stupid, as well. I can take that. But being called a plagiarist for something I thought was funny when I was high?

People, people, people. Can we please stop this bickering long enough so that we may continue posting cynical, wry comments bemoaning the crappy state of the world and the worsening human condition?

Enough already.

Yes, thank you, Dan T., lets do that.

People, people, people. Can we please stop this bickering long enough so that we may continue posting cynical, wry comments bemoaning the crappy state of the world and the worsening human condition?

Enough already.

OK ... are we done with moaning about how the youth of today don't know great literature? :D:doh:

I disagree, Om. For starters, I didn't intend for there to be a "punchline," as I was not doing a "bit." Perhaps it wasn't original, and for that I am sorry. It was just a funny thought I had. And it is a thought apparently others have had, as well. The point of the thread was sarcastic, absolutely, and I can take it just as well as I dish. That is, in fact, why I can dish it so well, because I've taken it for years. But being labeled a "plagiarist" by McCarthyesque posters who then disappear and respond with a shrug you call them on it is not "dishing it," it's a highly unfair charge that directly insults my integrity in a forum where words count more than anything. All I was doing was trying to start a thread that others might contribute their stupid, sarcastic ideas. For funsies. (I stole that from Scrubs).

Sisyphys, I wasn't mad at you, really, and I accept your flowers, they are very lovely.

Making fun is one thing, calling someone a plagiarist and then running away is bull****, and as moderator and a writer I hoped you would feel the same.

Not sure if that last sentence is suggesting I called you a plagiarist and ran away, but if it is, I take exception. I haven't yet used the word plagiarist (well, until now in this context anyway), nor have I run away.

I also disagree with you saying it wasn't a punchline. Given how you started the thread all sincere and warm and fuzzy to draw everyone in, then pulled a swift one with that modest proposal ( :) ), I think "punchline" actually described it quite well.

Whether you specifically knew you were taking the idea from Swift or some comedian who's riffed on it (which I do think I recall) I have no idea. I DO know that ideas I've had in the past I've later discovered were something I'd heard along the way, downloaded into my hard drive and promptly forgotten, only to have it resurface later as indistinguishable from my own. Maybe I should have said that from the top.

So for that, apologies if I've given offense. Being a writer, however, as you pointed out, I'll ask you to forgive ME for having a heightened sensitivity to the concept of sourcing and attribution. :)

And now I shall actually contribute to the original intent of the thread.

What I'm going to do to make the world a better place is continue to try to scare the **** out of everybody by talking about the real threats facing our species, both of our own making and natural, in the hopes that adding my one little voice to the still-too-quiet chorus of similarly minded voices might help, over time, to motivate our largely myopic species to get off its collective arse and do everything it realistically can to not only address those concers we CAN do something about, but also begin the process of creating an alternative residence for the species off-world to perhaps survive the inevitability of those we cannot.

So there. :)

Here's my contribution: In honor of St. Patty's day, here's some Irish jokes! :cheers:

Paddy was driving down the street in a sweat because he had an important meeting and couldn't find a parking place. Looking up to heaven he said, "Lord take pity on me. If you find me a parking place I will go to Mass every Sunday for the rest of me life and give up me Irish Whiskey!"

Miraculously, a parking place appeared.

Paddy looked up again and said, "Never mind, I found one."

Father Murphy walks into a pub in Donegal, and says to the first man he meets, "Do you want to go to heaven?"

The man said, "I do, Father."

The priest said, "Then stand over there against the wall."

Then the priest asked the second man, "Do you want to go to heaven?"

"Certainly, Father," was the man's reply.

"Then stand over there against the wall," said the priest.

Then Father Murphy walked up to O'Toole and said, "Do you want to go to heaven?"

O'Toole said, "No, I don't Father."

The priest said, "I don't believe this. You mean to tell me that when you die you don't want to go to heaven?"

O'Toole said, "Oh, when I die, yes. I thought you were getting a group together to go right now."

Paddy was in New York

He was patiently waiting and watching the traffic cop on a busy street crossing. The cop stopped the flow of traffic and shouted, "Okay, pedestrians." Then he'd allow the traffic to pass.

He'd done this several times, and Paddy still stood on the sidewalk.

After the cop had shouted, "Pedestrians!" for the tenth time, Paddy went over to him and said, "Is it not about time ye let the Catholics across?"

Gallagher opened the morning newspaper and was dumbfounded to read in the obituary column that he had died. He quickly phoned his best friend, Finney.

"Did you see the paper?" asked Gallagher. "They say I died!!"

"Yes, I saw it!" replied Finney. "Where are ye callin' from?"

An Irish priest is driving down to New York and gets stopped for speeding in Connecticut . The state trooper smells alcohol on the priest's breath and then sees an empty wine bottle on the floor of the car.

He says, "Sir, have you been drinking?"

"Just water," says the priest.

The trooper says, "Then why do I smell wine?"

The priest looks at the bottle and says, "Good Lord! He's done it again!"

Walking into the bar, Mike said to Charlie the bartender, "Pour me a stiff one - just had another fight with the little woman."

"Oh yeah?" said Charlie, "And how did this one end?"

"When it was over," Mike replied, "She came to me on her hands and knees.

"Really," said Charles, "Now that's a switch! What did she say?"

She said, "Come out from under the bed, you little chicken."

Flynn staggered home very late after another evening with his drinking buddy, Paddy. He took off his shoes to avoid waking his wife, Mary.

He tiptoed as quietly as he could toward the stairs leading to their upstairs bedroom, but misjudged the bottom step. As he caught himself by grabbing the banister, his body swung around and he landed heavily on his rump. A whiskey bottle in each back pocket broke and made the landing especially painful.

Managing not to yell, Flynn sprung up, pulled down his pants, and looked in the hall mirror to see that his butt cheeks were cut and bleeding. He managed to quietly find a full box of Band-Aids and began putting a Band-Aid as best he could on each place he saw blood.

He then hid the now almost empty Band-Aid box and shuffled and stumbled his way to bed.

In the morning, Flynn woke up with searing pain in both his head and butt and Mary staring at him from across the room.

She said, "You were drunk again last night weren't you?"

Flynn said, "Why you say such a mean thing?"

"Well," Mary said, "it could be the open front door, it could be the broken glass at the bottom of the stairs, it could be the drops of blood trailing through the house, it could be your bloodshot eyes, but mostly.....it's all those Band-Aids stuck on the hall mirror.

Not sure if that last sentence is suggesting I called you a plagiarist and ran away, but if it is, I take exception. I haven't yet used the word plagiarist (well, until now in this context anyway), nor have I run away.

I also disagree with you saying it wasn't a punchline. Given how you started the thread all sincere and warm and fuzzy to draw everyone in, then pulled a swift one with that modest proposal ( :) ), I think "punchline" actually described it quite well.

Whether you specifically knew you were taking the idea from Swift or some comedian who's riffed on it (which I do think I recall) I have no idea. I DO know that ideas I've had in the past I've later discovered were something I'd heard along the way, downloaded into my hard drive and promptly forgotten, only to have it resurface later as indistinguishable from my own. Maybe I should have said that from the top.

So for that, apologies if I've given offense. Being a writer, however, as you pointed out, I'll ask you to forgive ME for having a heightened sensitivity to the concept of sourcing and attribution. :)

And now I shall actually contribute to the original intent of the thread.

What I'm going to do to make the world a better place is continue to try to scare the **** out of everybody by talking about the real threats facing our species, both of our own making and natural, in the hopes that adding my one little voice to the still-too-quiet chorus of similarly minded voices might help, over time, to motivate our largely myopic species to get off its collective arse and do everything it realistically can to not only address those concers we CAN do something about, but also begin the process of creating an alternative residence for the species off-world to perhaps survive the inevitability of those we cannot.

So there. :)

No, you didn't call me a plagiarist, rictus58 did. I called him on it, he shrugged his shoulders. I am also sensitive to the "concept of sourcing and attribution," and this is why I am upset. I didn't read the Swift piece. I'm not a big fan of Carlin, but I admit the possibility that I heard his bit and forgot about it and then brought it up here. I didn't intend for the homeless part to be a punchline, it was simply there to further illustrate the point of my thread, which is that there is no point. It's Friday and I'm tired of this week. Especially now.

I didn't want this to be a joke writing workshop. I intended this to be silly and inconsequential, and most of all, fun. Apparently, I'm at the wrong place.

And you're right, it wasn't original. Just like about 99% of the **** on the board on a daily basis.

No, you didn't call me a plagiarist, rictus58 did. I called him on it, he shrugged his shoulders. I am also sensitive to the "concept of sourcing and attribution," and this is why I am upset. I didn't read the Swift piece. I'm not a big fan of Carlin, but I admit the possibility that I heard his bit and forgot about it and then brought it up here. I didn't intend for the homeless part to be a punchline, it was simply there to further illustrate the point of my thread, which is that there is no point. It's Friday and I'm tired of this week. Especially now.

I didn't want this to be a joke writing workshop. I intended this to be silly and inconsequential, and most of all, fun. Apparently, I'm at the wrong place.

And you're right, it wasn't original. Just like about 99% of the **** on the board on a daily basis.

Stop taking things so seriously.

Archived