Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As of now are we a 5-11 team or 11-5 team in 2007

SkinsBoss

I agree. We are a much more dangerous team w/ JC and defenses will need to respect our deep passing game more. This will open up lanes for CP, look what it did for Betts when JC came in and showed he could beat a team deep. We have the speed receivers but we didn't have the QB to make them dangerous at what they do best, now we do. I expect the D to be better because quite frankly we can't get much worse. I still believe in GW and think he will have something to prove. We still desperately need pressure from the D-line. It all starts up front. It's a cliche but a very true one. I would love to drop down a few spots in the draft and get a 2nd rounder, take Okoye or Branch and then the best DE we could find in the 2nd round. We need an infusion of youth on our line. Right now I would say we are an 8-8 team. With a good draft, few injuries and the progression of JC we could be a 10-6 team. I just hope we don't give away our 2008 picks this year at the draft. That way next year we can really focus on the D-line at the draft.

injuries/depth is what mostly killed us last year. people crying about the D-line seem to forget that we went 10-6 & won in the 1st round of the playoffs with almost the same team.

Campbell will have another year of experience, we have better depth at most positions (D-line is not one of them...but it is depth we lack, not necessarily quality) & another note that people seem to forget around here...we lost most of our games last year by a VERY small margin & our biggest problems in crunch time when we could have/should have won these games was not being able to a) STOP TEAMS ON 3RD DOWN!!!! & B) MOVE THE DAMN BALL WHEN WE NEEDED TO MOST!!!

if we could do either of those things on a consistent basis we would have been at least 11-5 last year & in the playoffs.

does anybody remember a certain team led by John Elway that won 2 SB's in a row with a less-than-stellar defense. they were the apitomy of the "bend but don't break" monniker. they gave up enormous amounts of yardage, but since they caused turnovers (especially in the red zone, something our defense of 2005 was able to do) in key situations & we're able to minimize the damage inflicted by causing teams to settle for field goals instead of giving up touchdowns, they were able to win a ton of games in the 4th quarter because they're offense moved the ball when they needed to most.

there are plenty of teams that fit this mold & this is actually the most succesfull mold for past SB champions. sure, everyone remembers the Bears D of '85 or the Steelers D or the "no-name" D of the Dolphins. but that accounts for what...6 of 40+ SB's. ok...lemme add the 'Bucs.

the 'Skins, 'Boys, '9ers, Broncos, Raiders, Rams, Colts, Pat's etc...have all won SB's by staying close & turning on the intensity in crunchtime. sometimes (see '9ers) that intensity meter was already too much for the opposing team that it was over in by the mid-3rd quarter or earlier...but don't confuse those Defenses with the Bears of '85 or any of the like.

anyways...we just need to move the ball more consistently & have a lot more big plays made & that will help the Defense get more rest which will enable them to stay more "fresh" in crunchtime, which will in-turn allow us to get off the field instead of having to deal with long sustained drives that eat up clock & end up in points making it evermore difficult for our offense to win games.

our Defense has gotten some help...will get a little more before the year starts & our Offense will be a bit better. it won't likely be enough YET to get us to the SB, but if we just stay healthy & get better we'll be a much more competitive team. that's not to say we weren't "competitive" last year...we just couldn't do the other things, the intangibles, that enable most teams to eek a win or two when you have no right. we did it twice last year, against the 'Boys & against the Jag's.

I will play wait & see, but I don't get all this doom & gloom. it's not like we were blown out of the water in every loss last year. I've seen it time & time again, no matter how good your D is, if your Offense can't stay on the field, they've got next to no chance. this increases risk for injury, wears our D down more towards the end of the year & makes it tough to win close games.

let's get another playmaker, added depth to our D-line (preferably a space-eater) & a big 6'2"+ receiver & then I'll really be optimistic! here's to hoping.

I believe the success of our team lies on our assistant coaching staff not being too cute or egotistical and our players buying into the team and playing for the 'skins on the field. If these things go the right way, I don't see any gaping holes that we need to address.

Our pass rush got considerably better at the end of the year, as did our o-line. That just left our defensive secondary which has received the most attention thus far. Our first line CB's, Safeties, and Linebacker core looks very solid. We may need to add more depth at CB. We also have a very high draft pick which we could use to trade or grab someone who's really worth it on the D-line.

This team doesn't give me the feeling of the 05' team. It simply doesn't have that magic. I can tell when good and bad things are going to happen. For instance, I knew we'd take a fall last year (although I optimistically predicted otherwise). Nothing felt right, even before the preseason. In 05', even when we were losing, I thought we'd turn it around. This offseason feels a lot like 03'. I say 5 to 8 wins, although I'll always hope for more.

If I had to choose between 5-11 or 11-5, I'd choose 5-11. 11-5 is just a little too optimistic. Realistically, we are an 8-8 or a 9-7 team this coming season.

Don't get me wrong. I could certianly see Joe Gibbs leading a dramtic turnaround, much like he did in 2005. Still, 9-7 would be a dramatic turnaround from 5-11.

Unacceptable. You never aim for anything less than the Super Bowl.

I fully agree. 8-8 is nothing to look forward to! If that happens it will be just another lost season. That should never happen with the coaching staff that we have!

I fully agree. 8-8 is nothing to look forward to! If that happens it will be just another lost season. That should never happen with the coaching staff that we have!

that's very true, my friends who are ravens fans were rubbing it in my face that the skins' didn't make the playoffs. I told em, Look you didn't win the superbowl, it doesn't mean jack. Superbowls are what counts, not playoff appearances.

We ended the season 5-11, but we've definitely improved upon that by at least 3 games with the addition of Fletcher, Smoot, and a healthy 1-2 punch from Portis/Betts.

I want you guys to think back to last season and remember how many times our LB core let us down. Fletcher automatically shuts that madness down. We move Marshall to WLB or Rocky, and we are no longer abused by RBs. Smoot knows the defense, and him being here adds that much more emotion to the game, which in my estimation translates into 2-3 more wins.

Oh yea Skins fans, we're looking at a 11-5 team!!!

i think most of us have learned by now that there's really NO difference, personnel-wise b/t a 5-11 team, and an 11-5 team in this league. that's why we see a couplpe teams make the swing every year with largely the same group of players. it comes down to dumb luck most of the time:

schedule: how many teams coming off a bye week do we play? how many teams coming off a tough losing stretch do we play?

injuries: self-explanatory

officiating: usually effects 1-2 games a year IMO.

The difference between 2004 and 2005 was 4 plays. Last year, the difference between us going 11-5 and 5-11 was 6 plays. So, have we improved a net of 6 plays? At max, you actually only control about 10-20% of any possible improvement. Okay, you probably have to improve another couple of plays to insure that you overcome any bad luck, however, bad luck and good luck will probably be even out in the end. You can't rely on luck. I'd estimate we'd probably have to be about 30-40 plays better.

Last year, we dropped at least 12 interceptions, randomly gave up 3 fumbles that should not have happened and had threw several interceptions that should not have happended. We have the capability of improving about 20 plays, so I'd say the question is can we improve another 10 plays.

Hard to say right now. I would say at this point 8-8. We added some depth at CB but I don't like our DL. If we can't put pressure on anyone or stop the run this year I think we're in for another long season. 8-8 is only because we gotta a healty CP and Betts together, with JC getting the whole offseason to train as the #1 QB. Gotta wait until after the draft and into training to really make a prediction.

16-0, super bowl champions, why expect anything less.

that being said, I'm not holding my breath, until the 1st game is played and we see how well this team will play TOGETHER. That is when I will feel comfortable with a prediction, then I will reserve the right to change that prediction weekly.

A lot of good talent on this team, lets see how they bring it together.

We're better than 5-11. With the return of Clinton Portis and the emergence of Jason Campbell, our offense is much better than it was last year. Offensive line is the only real concern .

However, our defense remains largely unchanged. Fletcher should help somewhat against the run. But our defensive line is still weak.

Don't be traumatized ... the addition of Fletcher and Smoot will help the defense dramatically ... Campbell would have won the Rams, Bucs, and Giants games last year, but for the weak defense exacerbated by untimely Betts fumbles ... and he barely lost the Eagles games due to an unlucky tipped pass ... this won't happen again. If the Skins are able to pull off some Draft day magic and snare an impact player or two who will contribute immediately ... I don't see why the Skins can't go 11-5 at least. They definitely will be in the hunt for the playoffs in the relatively weak NFC. Where is all the negativity coming from?

I think the thing that makes this team different than last year is we have good depth. Now we know if there are safety issues there are PP, Fox and Archuletta. We now have some OL depth with Wade and Pucillo. Got better corner depth (as of now, assuming Springs stays), and a solid tight end backup, as well as the knowledge of Betts being a capable back. Thats not to mention whatever young guys we get from the draft. Depth issues and coaching in '06 was what made us 5-11, now I think we are capable of being back in the playoffs.

And exactly how has our Pressure on the QB, or being able to stop the run gotten better since the season has ended? Wining championships are what we are suppose to be after. And a team that can't get pressue on the opposing QB or stop the run isn't going to when a championship.

Anybody who says we are playoff contenders is looking thru rose colored glasses. We are still a top 10 team....for the draft!

I don't get all these people saying "with a health Portis" as if we are certain he is going to be healthy next year. Why do we assume that? he was healthy going into last season, and that didn't mean squat for our season. He can get injured again. So I fail to see how you factor in a "healthy" Portis as a way to suggest we are going to be dramatically different.

Moreover, I fail to see how anyone says the injury to Portis hurt us. Betts did fine. The RB was not a reason for us losing games. So Portis' health was irrelevant to our record last year.

_____

The season's record depends on one factor: does Jason Campbell make a dramatic improvement or not? If he does, we can be a competitive team. If he does not, then we can expect 5-11 or worse. J.C. has serious mechanics and accuracy issues he needed to work out. If he works those out (we can only hope), then we should be better. If he doesn't, then we are hosed no matter if Portis is healthy or not.

Don't be traumatized ... the addition of Fletcher and Smoot will help the defense dramatically ... Campbell would have won the Rams, Bucs, and Giants games last year, but for the weak defense exacerbated by untimely Betts fumbles ... and he barely lost the Eagles games due to an unlucky tipped pass ... this won't happen again. If the Skins are able to pull off some Draft day magic and snare an impact player or two who will contribute immediately ... I don't see why the Skins can't go 11-5 at least. They definitely will be in the hunt for the playoffs in the relatively weak NFC. Where is all the negativity coming from?

I think Fletcher and Smoot will contribute but Smoot isn't a shutdown corner and without a pass rush it's stll gonna be hard on secondary to contain everyone when QBs have all day. If Flethcer can continue to play at the level he's been playing then I thing he will make a significant impact on our rush d as well as just being a defensive leader that we need.

I think our year depends on how much pressure we can put on the qb this year and not letting teams average 4.5 yds a carry on the run.

I don't get all these people saying "with a health Portis" as if we are certain he is going to be healthy next year. Why do we assume that? he was healthy going into last season, and that didn't mean squat for our season. He can get injured again. So I fail to see how you factor in a "healthy" Portis as a way to suggest we are going to be dramatically different.

Moreover, I fail to see how anyone says the injury to Portis hurt us. Betts did fine. The RB was not a reason for us losing games. So Portis' health was irrelevant to our record last year.

_____

The season's record depends on one factor: does Jason Campbell make a dramatic improvement or not? If he does, we can be a competitive team. If he does not, then we can expect 5-11 or worse. J.C. has serious mechanics and accuracy issues he needed to work out. If he works those out (we can only hope), then we should be better. If he doesn't, then we are hosed no matter if Portis is healthy or not.

When I say "a healty Portis," I only say that to compliment our run game. Betts was good despite his tendency to fumble. I think with both CP and Betts together used in the right way, our running game is that much more a force. Also with a serious running game it takes some pressure off of JC and allows him to develop faster.

This season's record again depends on our dl. If we can't make stops at the line of scrimmage and in 3rd down situations, JC doesn't make it on the field enough to make a difference on the team.

When we discuss this at work, I point to the teams we're battling for East supremacy. What have THEY done to improve their situations??? I know what we've done...presently and in the past. I like the fact that we didn't make the BIG splash in FA like it was presumed we would. We got a dependable MLB and a CB we know has worked in our system. At the price Dock was let go, I'm not even mad at that. We get the players back that would've made the most difference last yr...CP, PP, healthy Griff. I think the D's history speaks for itself. 1 BAD yr vice the previous yrs when we were in the top 5/10. 5-11?? You must be kidding me. Starting JC earlier would've got us at least 7. Some unfortunate bounces and HORRIBLE calls again at least 7. No kicking carousel at least 7.

But to my original point about our main competition. NY dropped a rack of players before FA even started. Still got Eli. Toomer is 1 yr closer to retirement. No Tiki..and Jacobs and Droughns (really Droughns NY??) as replacements. Strahan unhappy AND old. Still missing 2 OLBs and CBs and Ss.

Dallas. Still gotta wonder if Romo sits to pee hit the wall and will be able to recover. Lost Parcells. Will TO implode if this new HC doesn't work out. Wade's head coaching record does not speak to highly for him. Anybody can see he's just filler til they feel comfortable moving that Palmer cat into the spotlight. I mean really...hire an OC before the HC and pretty much say yall work it out.

Philly. Lost their deep threat. Health issues aplenty. Still think they should've kept Garcia. And unless they do something in the draft. What holes have they filled? Curtis is not a #1 WR. And then Reid with his issues with his sons.

All I'm saying is our situation looks better than our competitions. I honestly believed it was a bit much to expect so much under a fresh offensive system. Didn't think it would be that bad last yr, but instant adaptation to Saunder's playbook isn't even reasonable. I think we'll see the philosophies mesh between Gibbs and Saunders more. JC will be much better at going through his progressions. He missed open rcvrs quite a bit last yr. Then we have our homerun threat back...CP. Houston game anyone. I love Betts, but he'll never break one off like that. And a healthy CP with the holes our beast of a line opened up for Betts last yr, we'd have seen the playoffs. I just don't see the justification in saying our situation makes us look like a 5-11 team this yr.

Here's the honest assessment.

Offense - No huge free agency pickups and one loss that will pan out to be fine.

Line - Dockery before last year was average or below average. He was constantly getting drive stopping holding calls and missing easy blocks. Todd Wade is a relative unknown and we will have to wait and see. The upside of the whole thing is that we have a probowlers surrounding Wade and he will benefit as Dockery did. Grade: B

QB - Jason is entering his second season with the same OC and same system. He showed glimpses of his future and this year he should rally come into his own. We know he can think on the fly, we know he has a cannon and we know his can pick up first downs (if need be) with his feet. We haven't seen him take the team on his shoulders and win the game for us. I believe he has 1 0r two of those games this year. Grade: C+

RB - Portis will be back and healthy. Betts will still be here to spell Portis as well as becoming another option for Campbell to throw to. It might take them 1-2 games to get it going, but after that I will be shocked if we do not avg. more than 100 yds on the ground per game. Grade: A

WR/TE - Moss will be Moss. Cooley will be Cooley. Randle El will be Randle El. The big issue here is will Bradon Lloyd be the Brandon Lloyd of last year or the Brandon Lloyd of his days in San Francisco. I say he will be somewhere in between. Grade: B+

Offense Overall rating: B+

Defense - This is where we made our pick ups and no real losses. Fletcher and Smoot were added to improve the worst GW Defense EVER.

D-Line - Carter came on late in the season, but the other struggled to get anything going. Poor tackling and no pass rush killed the Defense as a whole. Griffin and Big Joe were injured off and on last year and Golston proved to be a formitable back-up. These issues must be addressed in the draft. Grade: F

LB Corps - With Fletcher calling the shots, Marcus on the edge and the Rocky/Marshall combination has the potential to be lethal. I am really excited about these guys. Fltecher is a more mature Pierce and not to put down Pierce but, Fletcher will not have a learning curve and can come right in and lead. Grade: B+

Secondary - With Pierson back and fully recovered we can finally use Archuletta the way we intended when we signed him. Taylor will benefit greatly with Pierson back alongside him. Smoot, Springs and Rogers will be a good bunch and Smoot and Springs will remain healthy because they will be spelling each other. Grade: B

Overall Defense Grade: C+

Special teams - Pretty much the same as the end of last year. Grade: B+

Overall Team Grade: B

Our record should improve to a low of 7-9 and a high of 12-4. Where we fall is up to how the players perform and if the injury bug bites.

Archived