Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As of now are we a 5-11 team or 11-5 team in 2007

SkinsBoss

as of right now, with the team we have today, are we more of a 5-11 team like last year or building off 2005 are we set to go 11-5 for the coming season?

I know we have the draft ahead and something good should certainly come of that. And I know there's the possibility of a big trade or some possible cuts, ie (Archuleta) but withstanding all that how good do you guys think we'll be next year?

The way I see it. We're back! Plain and simple, back to a playoff team and back to what Gibbs probably thought we would be coming into last season.

On offense, Campbell will have another year under the same system something he has never had. We'll have a healthy Portis, a solid backup in Betts. Our offensive line still strong. If Wade is LG over Dock that may actually be even better than if Dock had resigned. Our WRs will have a better understanding of Saunders Offense and I think we have great promise there.

On D, our secondary will be stronger, and that's always been a benchmark of Williams' D's. Our LB play should be much improved. Fletcher is a beast but most of all I'm excited about Rocky and how good he'll be. And don't worry about D line, I'm sure Carter will start to pay dividends.

ST-Suisham shows talent and Frost has emerged to be a good punter too.

So all in all, do you guys think as of today we are more 5-11 or 11-5 team for next year????

I think the thing that makes this team different than last year is we have good depth. Now we know if there are safety issues there are PP, Fox and Archuletta. We now have some OL depth with Wade and Pucillo. Got better corner depth (as of now, assuming Springs stays), and a solid tight end backup, as well as the knowledge of Betts being a capable back. Thats not to mention whatever young guys we get from the draft. Depth issues and coaching in '06 was what made us 5-11, now I think we are capable of being back in the playoffs.

probably right in the middle at 8-8 or 7-9. Not sure how Wade is a better option at LG than Dock. I have always been a firm believer that you build winning teams starting on the lines. And that D line still has some problems that need to get worked out. It will still be a tough division to play in as well. I think 8-8 is what to aim for.

probably right in the middle at 8-8 or 7-9. Not sure how Wade is a better option at LG than Dock. I have always been a firm believer that you build winning teams starting on the lines. And that D line still has some problems that need to get worked out. It will still be a tough division to play in as well. I think 8-8 is what to aim for.

Unacceptable. You never aim for anything less than the Super Bowl.

As much as I love the Skins, we are a 5-11 team until we prove otherwise. I can make plenty of excuses (sophomore jinx; injuries to Portis, Springs and Prioleau; QB problem, old QB, new QB, new offense, etc.). Similarly the Colts are the Super Bowl Champions until someone proves otherwise next year.

Of course, that's not what you asked. So I'll say this. Since no one is injured right now, we have the Smooter back, another year of experience for Campbell, a reasonably seasoned offensive line with only one difference, a seasoned MLB, good possibilities at weak and stong side linebacker, Mr. Sean Taylor, Mr. Santana Moss, Mr. Clinton Portis, Mr. Chris Cooley, and the smash-mouth Mr. Mike Sellers, and a draft pick to be named later, I say we are closer to 11-5 than 5-11. How close? Don't know. Just closer.

Hope springs eternal...

What haven't done much this offseason to improve our winning chances. Having said that, our last offseason pickups have to step it up a notch for us to improve drastically. Campbell is a big improvement though.

With a healthy CP, a more experienced JC, addition of LF and return of FS we're a better team in a number of key positions. Only big loss has been DD. As close as most games are in the NFL, it would be nice to have a stronger, more reliable kicking game before taking the leap to predict an 11-5 season.

No question the team will come into camp hungrier than last year. Since I'm a season ticket holder I can't help but choose 11-5 over 5-11 so I won't tear up my tickets before the season even starts.

Our beloved Redskins will be back in 2007!

Keep this in mind...

Every year there are 6 NEW Playoff teams on average

Every year there are a couple 5-11 or 6-10 teams that rebound to make the playoffs...

...Lets not even talk about the Saints going from 3-13 to the NFC Championship...

...okay let's talk about it...

Sure, Brees had a Pro Bowl year but he was still a big question mark coming off his injury and he was coming to a team in shambles...yeah, Reggie Bush was a huge Spark, but he actually had a bigger impact on McCallister being fresh during the game...

Now that we know Betts is a bonafide fumbler, oops I mean, starter, I htink the 1-2 punch of CP/LB could be freakin' awesome!

Campbell played great IMO for his first 7 starts

Our defense has no where to go but up...it is actually AMAZING that we won 5 games with THAT defense last year...if our defense could go from what it was last year to mere "bad" this year, you can add 3 more victoires to our total...

Add a healthy CP and a full camp taking snaps by JC...I could very easily see 11 wins.

If one of the few good things you can find on your team is your punter, it's safe to say you're closer to 5-11 than 11-5. But a lot can happen between now and September...

Did I seriously write, "frost is a good punter?"

Perhaps, I've had too many frosted brews today. You can sure tell it's the offseason when I'm high on our punter. The fact is, it's mid March, and I'm getting tired of the draft banter and all I want is the season to open up and see coach Gibbs take us back to the promised land. Playoffs! I'm not asking for the Super Bowl this year.....ok, who am I kidding, yes Super Bowl this year!

The increased production from the Offense with a healthy P is 2 wins more. JC getting his stance under the snap right plus timing is another 2.

So now we're at 9 and 7.

Our D turning up and not pressuring our O to score every drive is worth another 2 wins.

A fat DT to go with what we've signed on D is another 2 wins.

13 and 3 with a championship game as a minimum.

Mark my words and tell me I'm wrong if it proves to be the case (though I reserve the right to say a lesser regular season record and a SB win is on my side :P)

I am drunk now though :D

We were 5-11 last year when essentially everything that could possibly go wrong did go wrong. We will have vastly improved quarterback play from Campbell, who made great strides down the stretch and showed superb mobility and a terrific deep ball, both of which we will maximize when last year, when it mattered, we couldn't with Brunell. An offseason to learn more as the starter, with increased chemistry with his receivers, will also do Campbell wonders. We will also have Clinton Portis back, and if the offensive line can play like it did at the end of the season, he truly could be a 1600 yard back, even with all of Betts' carries. This duo could be the best in the league. We will maximize Chris Cooley's talents better than we did for most of the first half of last season, and our players will all find a good niche in an offense that will have been tweaked to optimize our talents. Our offense alone will be far better than it was in 2006.

On defense, I don't see how we could possibly be any worse. We set records for poor performance, and simply put, the law of averages will not allow this to happen again. We have had good defensive seasons with lesser talent, specifically at defensive end, and without Holdman at OLB and with Fletcher in the middle, our linebacking play should emulate that of 2005. If we draft Alan Branch, our run defense should again climb to the top third of the league; if we draft a defensive end, we should again become a pressure defense, with the speedy Washington and Rocky McIntosh coming off the edges with Carter and Anderson/Adams/Carriker providing pressure as well. Regardless, we will be markedly improved in either the run defense or the pass rush. And with Springs back (hopefully), and with Smoot, our cornerbacking play should be much more solid and consistent. I would be shocked if Carlos Rogers dropped as many interceptions this year; if he can play like he did in some stretches (like against Carolina), he could be a bonafide #1 corner in the future - at worst, he is a very solid #2 for now. And Sean Taylor hopefully can revert to his playmaking abilities in years past.

The thing I like the most about our offseason this year is that, in years past, we have signed players to replace others, we had no backup plan. (Archuleta for Clark, Carlos Rogers for Fred Smoot, McIntosh for Lavar, etc.) We these signings didn't quite pan out initially, we were stuck. We replaced Archuleta with Vernon Fox and Troy Vincent, we had to start Walt Harris when Rogers wasn't ready, and we had to play Holdman when Rocky wasn't ready, etc. However, this offseason, if Fletcher doesn't pan out or gets injured, we still have Marshall behind him. With Smoot, we still have two other more than capable cornerbacks. For the first time in a while, we have depth at these positions.

Mostly, I trust Joe Gibbs to turn this thing around. Our offense will certainly improve; Jason Campbell showed flashes of brilliance and we could have our first franchise quarterback in forever. And our defense cannot possibly be any worse; I have no doubt that the ego of Gregg Williams will not allow for a defense to make a repeat performance of last year. We have added talent without losing any on this side of the ball, and we will finally have the consistency that many have cried for.

Additionally, the offseasons of the three other NFC East teams suggest that none of them should be any more improved. The Eagles have lost free agents without adding any (and were 5-6 under McNabb until a miracle run under Garcia), the Giants have lost Tiki and have struggled to fix a number of key holes (and they still have Eli), and the Cowboys' big signing was an underachieving offensive lineman while they have downgraded severely in the coaching department (and they still have the ticking timebomb in TO, in the fatal year two I might add)

At worst, I think we'll be 8-8. At best, I think we could be 11-5, if we stay injury free and our defense can force those turnovers that we so sorely lacked last year. And just with the law of averages, all those little bounces that didn't go our way last year should this year. In all, we really can only improve in all aspects of our game this year.

Archived