Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pastabelly at it again

meek

YES. Actually as previously pointed out and meticulously ingnored gibbs had said the starting job was Ramsey's to lose(that season) and then Ramsey gets a little dinged in the 1st quarter of the first game of that season brunell is in there in the blink of an eye. Yeah that would have broken my head to if I were trying to make it as a qb in the NFL too. One of the very few things I have ever had a real problem with coach gibbs over.

I'm not psycho analyzing Ramsey. I'll let you and Lenny do that. I'm just telling you the reason Gibbs kept him out, because geuss what... he didn't have to start him in the first place. :rolleyes:

Maybe Ramsey did slightly better then an injured Brunell at the end of 04, but did he make a case to be the starting QB during the preseason? Heck no, he look atrocious, versus Brunell who actually looked solid. Everyone needs to friggin move on from this Ramsey mancrush, we have our future QB in Campbell, who I feel looked better in his few games then Ramsey ever did in his whole career.

/rant

Yea sorry but Gibbs definitely helped to **** ramsey up. He gave up draft picks to get Brunell and then he gave him a huge salary when we didnt even need him to begin with. He played an injured brunell over ramsey in year 1 and then pulled him after a quarter when he finally became the starter. It was a raw deal for Ramsey all the way around.

Patrick Ramsey is not an NFL-type starting QB. You have to understand where he's coming from. He is a small school(Tulane) 1st round draft pick. Teams became enamored with his arm strength, and he never got used to the speed of the defenses in the League. Shall we look at some other 1st round small school draft picks since 1994... Trent Dilfer(Fresno), Jim Drunkenmiller(VT, before they were GOOD), Ryan Leaf(Wash St.), Tim Couch (KY), Akili Smith (Oregon), David Carr (Fresno), Joey Harrington (Oregon), Patrick Ramsey, . Not all of those are Non-BCS schools but none of those schools were competing in a major conference for National Champioship. After 2002 the jury is still out, with only less than 5 years in the league. The only three Quarterbacks drafted in the first round that you can say are legitimate Franchise QB's are Peyton, Donovan, and Carson, (And McNair has had his moments). I firmly believe the reason behind this is that when a QB gets drafted in the first round the pressure and expectations are WAY too high for them to start and contribute immediately. QB's aren't RB's. They are still valuable after 30 and possibly even more valuable then. So why is it that teams keep throwing these guys in there so soon? Because GM's want a quick return on their investment, when in actuality they should just be patient and see if they develop into your system. Quick question: in the past 30 Years, what is the least tenured QB to win MVP (Not including Kurt Warner who was 28 when he came into the league, and had already played professional football), and least tenured RB?

RB - 2 years, Walter Payton 1977 (1st Round Draft Pick)

QB - 5 Years, Brett Favre 1995 (2nd Round Draft Pick)

Even in the case of two hall of famers my point resonates loudly. Brett Favre wasn't expected to win early, he rode the pine in ATL his first season and started shaky his first season with the Pack. But after a couple seasons he got it.

So BACK to Patrick Ramsey. He was expected to do TOO much TOO soon, and although his arm strength is great, I don't believe he was ever ready for adversity, he coasted to a double digit win season in TU and never had to perservere and now can't. Joe Gibbs saw that and realized that Brunell, who led us to a playoff season when starting, was the better leader.

So in summation, Ramsey sucks, good riddance, go Skins.

WOW that was long-winded and unneccesary, hahaha

Yea sorry but Gibbs definitely helped to **** ramsey up. He gave up draft picks to get Brunell and then he gave him a huge salary when we didnt even need him to begin with. He played an injured brunell over ramsey in year 1 and then pulled him after a quarter when he finally became the starter. It was a raw deal for Ramsey all the way around.

Spurrier and Ramsey ****ed Ramsey up. Gibbs obviously didn't see potential in Ramsey, or he would have never traded in the draft to get Campbell. Ramsey was told by the Jets he would have a shot at battling Pennington for the starting spot. ramsey lost the battle and Pennington was named starter BEFORE preseason. Pastabelly lost all credibility (what little he had to begin with) when he said Ramsey has pocket pressence. His entire career as a Skin, Ramsey never looked comfortable in the pocket, and his play suffered greatly as a result. Gibbs has won all of his Superbowls with different QBs. I'll trust his opinion in sticking with Brunell and ousting Ramsey. Afterall, it got us to the playoffs, and a victory once there. Something the Cowboys haven't done in over a decade, and the Giants haven't done in quite some time either.

Maybe Ramsey did slightly better then an injured Brunell at the end of 04, but did he make a case to be the starting QB during the preseason? Heck no, he look atrocious, versus Brunell who actually looked solid. Everyone needs to friggin move on from this Ramsey mancrush, we have our future QB in Campbell, who I feel looked better in his few games then Ramsey ever did in his whole career.

/rant

Brunell was also playing against second stringers in the preseason and he didnt exactly light it up

Hate to say I agree totally w/ Pastabelly this time which is very rare. Gibbs said he trusted Ramsey but then he takes him out after the first or second possession when he got roughed up from a sack and never put him back in. Spurrier made him have the happy feet leaving him as a sitting duck, but a good coach, which Gibbs is, is supposed to make him unlearn what he had learned under Spurrier. Spurrier messed him up, but Gibbs just made him even worse.

Gibbs made him worse?:laugh:

Actually he played for a quarter and a half in that Bears game and turned the ball over three times.

Gibbs handed him the job at the end of 2004 and did everything he could to boost his confidence throughout the off-season by talking him up, "he's our guy", etc.

He went into camp as the number 1 and started the first three pre-season games and looked horrible. Meanwhile, Brunell looks like the Brunell of old.

Ramsey was given the chance. It was his job to lose, and he lost it. Gibbs had to make a tough decision for the good of the team, and it apparently was the right one.

Gibbs made him worse?:laugh:

Actually he played for a quarter and a half in that Bears game and turned the ball over three times.

Gibbs handed him the job at the end of 2004 and did everything he could to boost his confidence throughout the off-season by talking him up, "he's our guy", etc.

He went into camp as the number 1 and started the first three pre-season games and looked horrible. Meanwhile, Brunell looks like the Brunell of old.

Ramsey was given the chance. It was his job to lose, and he lost it. Gibbs had to make a tough decision for the good of the team, and it apparently was the right one.[/QUO

ok 3 interceptions but except for the first one if patten hadnt had pushed off in the endzone we probably would have had a touchdown

And the hit other hit both of us and 99 percent of the average person would have fumbled that ball

umm... it pains me to say this, but to pastabelly's credit.... he said that Gibbs mishandled him, not stunted his growth... and as much as ill always defend Gibbs, im not gonna go so far as say Gibbs treated him like a son. He benched him for Brunell, twice, the second time for an in game injury early in the season after naming him the true starter. Then if that wasnt enough he went ahead and drafted Jason Campbell... mishandled is actually a pretty generous word there... but i still agree with the Gibbs move.. hahaha

Archived