Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot and Fletcher are nice....but where is the D-Line help!!!

scottlo34

Granted it is nice to see Smooty back in DC, and I somewhat agree with getting Fletcher. However, for a team that logged 19 sacks all last year, where in the world are we going to get D-Line help? If this coaching staff settles for getting a #6 pick on the D-Line and expects whoever it is to be our legit pass rusher, then we are going to stink again on the defensive side of the ball. I don't want to hear about "new creative" blitz packages with Smoot and Fletcher on board. I also don't want to hear about the possibility of getting Porter that will solve our pass rush atrocity. I want to hear about a Patrick Kearney or whoever else is available to actually rush the passer. I am getting a little frustrated as free agency goes on that we are not talking to any good pass rushers. Jarred Allen? Haven't heard anything there either. Real simple folks....I don't care who is at LB or CB...if that pathetic defensive front does not get a major upgrade once again, the we are done. It's won and lost in the trenches.

There isn't a whole lot of defensive lineman talent in the free agency pool.

Freeney and Justin Smith were franchised.

The Packers signed their Jenkins to an extension.

The Panthers didn't release their Jenkins.

Sands re-signed with the Raiders.

Who's left? Kerney is available, but he's 30, and his best season(s) were in a 3-4

Jared Allen is a RFA, meaning we'd have to give up a draft pick (which, we really don't have)

Who else is there?

Granted it is nice to see Smooty back in DC, and I somewhat agree with getting Fletcher. However, for a team that logged 19 sacks all last year, where in the world are we going to get D-Line help? If this coaching staff settles for getting a #6 pick on the D-Line and expects whoever it is to be our legit pass rusher, then we are going to stink again on the defensive side of the ball. I don't want to hear about "new creative" blitz packages with Smoot and Fletcher on board. I also don't want to hear about the possibility of getting Porter that will solve our pass rush atrocity. I want to hear about a Patrick Kearney or whoever else is available to actually rush the passer. I am getting a little frustrated as free agency goes on that we are not talking to any good pass rushers. Jarred Allen? Haven't heard anything there either. Real simple folks....I don't care who is at LB or CB...if that pathetic defensive front does not get a major upgrade once again, the we are done. It's won and lost in the trenches.

I don't know why no talk with kerney. Maybe the skins have a plan to get our second round pick back so we can draft branch with our 6th overall and maybe draft quientin moses or jarvis moss in the second. Trading away that pick is really biting our a** now.

Look who's out there and you tell me who is going to be able to help us out in that respect. It isn't going to be Jared Allen, because he's restricted.

Fact is, any DL who is worth a damn is either going to be locked up by their own team, or cost a pretty penny. The only solution to the problem is going to be drafting our own players. Getting a guy at #6 who can either take up doubleteams and free up other players, or a guy on the end who can bring it on a regular basis can improve the whole line.

Also, you also need to look at the fact that our rookies from last year will have a year under their belt in the NFL and be more ready this year. Carter will be more comfortable being back at DE and with the defense. Maybe the new workout philosophy will improve the play of the defense across the board.

While we may not be a great pass rushing team this year, I think we can be pretty darn solid.

Jason

There isn't a whole lot of defensive lineman talent in the free agency pool.

Freeney and Justin Smith were franchised.

The Packers signed their Jenkins to an extension.

The Panthers didn't release their Jenkins.

Sands re-signed with the Raiders.

Who's left? Kerney is available, but he's 30, and his best season(s) were in a 3-4

Jared Allen is a RFA, meaning we'd have to give up a draft pick (which, we really don't have)

Who else is there?

No one. We might as well wait til the draft and use all those picks on D.

Starting with drafting either Alan Branch or Jamaal Anderson at #6.

If lack of sacks is your main concern then perhaps instead of looking for a good pash rushing DE, we could look at getting a good pash rushing LB. Last year's sack leader, a linebacker. Joey Porter, who has combined the past two years for 17.5 sacks is available. And plus, it seems like it is difficult for d-linemen to play very consistently as far as sacks are concerned. Remember when the two giants DE's went to the pro-bowl? How many sacks did they have this year?

6 and 3. Joey porter, had seven.

These are pro bowl de's we're talking about here too.

Personally our defensive line is the least of my defensive worries, our defensive back play was HORRENDOUS!!! i don't know how many times we got the opponent in a third and long situation and gave it up because they decided to actually go for the first instead of play it safe and just run the ball.

I don't think you want a linebacking core anchored by two over thirty guys in London Fletcher and Joey Porter. I think Porter's production really tailed off last season. He is a shell of the player he once was. Why didn't you guys over pay for Adalius Thomas out of Baltimore?

I don't think you want a linebacking core anchored by two over thirty guys in London Fletcher and Joey Porter. I think Porter's production really tailed off last season. He is a shell of the player he once was. Why didn't you guys over pay for Adalius Thomas out of Baltimore?

Why don't you guys overpay for an average at best guard?

Oh ****, too late :(

If we give the alien a cold (jim gaffigan).... a seemless easy idea to our problem would be to find a way to land branch and anderson this draft and all our worries would be over. :silly: Obviously this is not the case.

Realistically we do have a pick that could land us the DT or DE we need to build our Dline with. The skin are in an a position most teams outside of indianapolis would want to be debating. We have to decide on picking between a two studes at DT or DE (as far as drafting is concerned). Either guy could be great, but it seems like the real question here is... "What is the better player/position to beef up for the 2007-2008 redskins team?" What player will be more adequate in helping this team now (and into the future). IS jamaal the next peppers or the next courtney brown? Is alan branch the next tommy harris or a bust?... Tough decision, but heres hoping the decision comes between these guys come April, instead of completly messing up the situation and not addressing out D line.

Frankly, I'd rather have Randy Starks (RFA) than Alan Branch.

I know a lot of people would whine and cry about giving up another draft pick, but think about this. Randy Starks would cost a 3rd round pick. Alan Branch would cost a 1st round pick (and a high one at that). Not to mention Branch's contract would be much bigger.

If you want a DT becuase he's big and fat, get Keith Traylor for the vet minimum.

This defense is going to take at least 2 years to get setup for a number of years. Anyone that honestly thinks we would fix all of our d problems in free agency and/or through the draft is fulling themselves. This is why I still feel that IF Calvin Johnson falls to us that you consider taking him if noone will trade up. We've set ourselves up nicely for the draft so regardless the outcome we will get at least one quality player for our team. I could still see us trading betts, but with dillon hitting the market I believe that pretty much changed his value

Guest SylkeSmove

Sometimes it seems like people in here dont know football at all. What lineman in the free agency should we go after? There are good lineman in the draft. Patrick Kearney is really the only lineman worth getting. We still have a chance to get him. Smoot is definitely better than rogers, but what is that saying. Fletcher is a definite upgrade at the mlb position.

Archived