Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot and Fletcher are nice....but where is the D-Line help!!!

scottlo34

I would say that DE is the way we need to go...while some people here are very high on Branch, it's been intimated by some reports (ESPN, Wash. Post) that the Skins aren't so high on him. And in this 4-3 system that williams employs, pass rushing from the DT is secondary to run-stuffing & occupying blockers for stunting DEs and blitzers to get to the QB.

Even if Sala'avea get's his annual injury, we still have Golston (who looked very good at times last year), Mongomery, and Wynn besides Griffin.

Could we use another monster DT in the rotation? Sure, but the Skins brass aren't sold on Branch, and they did their homework last year and got 2 solid contributors at DT in the 5th round. I don't think they're gonna go in that direction with their top pick.

Anoter promising sign is the way Carter turned it on the last 5 games after getting that pep talk from the coaches about thinking too much vs. just going all-out.

Extrapolated over 16 games, it would have come out to 105 1/2(!) tackles and 12 1/2 sacks...and I'll take that kind of production from your DEs.

If we can get someone to spell Daniels in passing situations, I think we'll be markedly better with the significant upgrade at MLB.

Now, if we could just get solidity & injury-free seasons from the DBs...I can't see just Smoot & Rogers holding down the fort without Springs, and I don't know what saftey is going to line up beside Taylor next season, or what he'll give you.

Frankly, I'd rather have Randy Starks (RFA) than Alan Branch.

I know a lot of people would whine and cry about giving up another draft pick, but think about this. Randy Starks would cost a 3rd round pick. Alan Branch would cost a 1st round pick (and a high one at that). Not to mention Branch's contract would be much bigger.

If you want a DT becuase he's big and fat, get Keith Traylor for the vet minimum.

We don't have a 3rd round pick to give up, and Branch would open up many things for our other linemen.

I think that in a addition to shoring up the defensive line, we also need a big target (6'3" or taller) on the offensive side. any chance we get calvin johnson?

I'm assuming we use the draft to address d-line help. I would much rather draft a potential beast on the defensive line, then get CJ. I think Johnson will be an absolute beast in the NFL, but I think we should draft by need, not by best talent available.

I'm assuming we use the draft to address d-line help. I would much rather draft a potential beast on the defensive line, then get CJ. I think Johnson will be an absolute beast in the NFL, but I think we should draft by need, not by best talent available.

We always draft by need so why stop now?:point2sky

If lack of sacks is your main concern then perhaps instead of looking for a good pash rushing DE, we could look at getting a good pash rushing LB. Last year's sack leader, a linebacker. Joey Porter, who has combined the past two years for 17.5 sacks is available. And plus, it seems like it is difficult for d-linemen to play very consistently as far as sacks are concerned. Remember when the two giants DE's went to the pro-bowl? How many sacks did they have this year?

6 and 3. Joey porter, had seven.

These are pro bowl de's we're talking about here too.

Personally our defensive line is the least of my defensive worries, our defensive back play was HORRENDOUS!!! i don't know how many times we got the opponent in a third and long situation and gave it up because they decided to actually go for the first instead of play it safe and just run the ball.

BINGO nicely said!!!!!

If lack of sacks is your main concern then perhaps instead of looking for a good pash rushing DE, we could look at getting a good pash rushing LB. Last year's sack leader, a linebacker. Joey Porter, who has combined the past two years for 17.5 sacks is available. And plus, it seems like it is difficult for d-linemen to play very consistently as far as sacks are concerned. Remember when the two giants DE's went to the pro-bowl? How many sacks did they have this year?

Personally our defensive line is the least of my defensive worries, our defensive back play was HORRENDOUS!!! i don't know how many times we got the opponent in a third and long situation and gave it up because they decided to actually go for the first instead of play it safe and just run the ball.

Sorry but you are completely mistaken. Youre talking about a 3-4 system which works differently than a 4-3.

Porter was able to rack up those type of numbers because of the dominance of the Nose Tackle and the 2 DE's (which are really DT's). Those 3 are accounting for 5 offensive lineman and thats what allows the speedy edge OLB/DE to get the sacks.

As for the defensive backs, a DB corps plays only as good as its D-line does. Without pressure from the D-line, the best CB's look like crap.

Everything starts with the D-line and everything on the D-line starts with the DT's.

We already have a pricy free agent on the D-line, His name is Andre Carter. It took him almost the whole season to start doing his job but I think he'll be in top form next season. We also have two rookie DTs on top of Griffin and Salave'a. I think the only thing we are looking to do is draft a DE to grow into Daniels' spot.

If you think the Skins are telling the truth on Branch when it comes to the draft you are kidding yourself. The Skins also stated they are not too high on Adams but from a character stand point they like Anderson. Branch, if anybody watched him play, would get tremendous pressure up the middle with his speed and power. Branch was always in the back field and a consistent playmaker. Branch would see double teams eventually thus allowing lb and de to get off. I agree with another poster on cb. We had to get a cb especially after watching 10 yard cushions due to lack of press coverage and giving up big plays.

Sorry but you are completely mistaken. Youre talking about a 3-4 system which works differently than a 4-3.

Porter was able to rack up those type of numbers because of the dominance of the Nose Tackle and the 2 DE's (which are really DT's). Those 3 are accounting for 5 offensive lineman and thats what allows the speedy edge OLB/DE to get the sacks.

As for the defensive backs, a DB corps plays only as good as its D-line does. Without pressure from the D-line, the best CB's look like crap.

Everything starts with the D-line and everything on the D-line starts with the DT's.

finally, someone posts something that makes sense....... :applause:

Alan Branch..

sorry if he isn't playing at one of the sexier positions on the team but he's exactly what we need. A meat & potatoes type of player. Someone who can give Griffin some real help on the D-line.

:laugh: .....I´m with you. Pick the meat & potatoe guy or just:

TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!!!!!!!!!!

:helmet:

Why do people not understand that Joey Porter is a 3-4 linebacker. just because hes a big name LB doesnt mean that we can come in here and be a sack machine. he flurishes in a 3-4 because of the 3 dts eating up space in the midde and on the ends. we have a 4-3 defense, he would be useless here.

Archived