Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patrick Kerney into FA

Muzzah

Falcons' Kerney voids deal, enters free agency

ATLANTA (Feb. 24, 2007) - Atlanta Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney voided his contract, and potentially lucrative free-agent options could make it difficult for the team to re-sign their top pass rusher.

Kerney opted out of the final two years of his contract to explore his options as an unrestricted free agent, the team confirmed.

Even though he is coming off an injury, Kerney may top the field of free-agent defensive ends. Three other top defensive ends ... have been designated by their teams as franchise players.

The Falcons don't have the option of placing a franchise tag on Kerney because he does not have an expiring contract.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/ATL/10019991

He must've heard we were shopping for a pass rusher, knows he can get top dollar.

I think we should take him and draft a Corner, if we can afford him. He'll probably be asking for less than Clements

Yeah lets sign some other teams injured aging player who was in a better situation but like Stevie Wondr can see Danny Dollars and instead of us getting a hungry dog fighting to gnaw on a bone we get a full turkey fatten on a 10 millin dollar signing bonus with no need to fight as hard since he has been fed.

If we sign Kerney and Fletcher, draft Branch and also nab a decent corner like a Fred Smoot... That would be a pretty nice defensive overhaul.

Thats too much overhaul if you ask me. Remember how injured we were last season, going along with the success we had the year before.

I agree that we need talent upgrades on D-line, and in the secondary, but I don't think we need 4 new defensive starters.

This team needs more consistency. All those moves you named above are exactly what the Skins have been doing over the past 5 seasons.

The FO is already a joke so might aswell overpay for him and Fletcher.

Yea might as well, cause this franchise just doesn't have a shot does it? Even after one season removed from the postseason.

I completely understand that our FO has been terrible at times in acquiring/getting rid of players. But fatalistic posts like this are so unnecessary. :doh:

Yeah lets sign some other teams injured aging player who was in a better situation but like Stevie Wondr can see Danny Dollars and instead of us getting a hungry dog fighting to gnaw on a bone we get a full turkey fatten on a 10 millin dollar signing bonus with no need to fight as hard since he has been fed.

I can't figure out why we would want to pay prime money to a 30 year old defensive end who only played 9 games in 2006 and is yet to play since having surgery. Kerney is the top DE available so you know he's going to cash in. I just hope it's not with us.

I don't understand what "overpay" means ... the Skins do not sign all the FAs they go after ... overpaid is when you sign a player and he turns out to be a dud ... otherwise you are just paying market $$$ ... the Skins problem is that they sign players they overvalue in talent not $$$$.

I want absolutely nothing to do with this guy here. Going to want too much money and I just have a bad feeling about the guy coming here. yeah, I know for once I dont have a boatload of stats and numbers and long draw our logic to go along what I have to say. Just a gut feeling.

Archived