Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting at MLB for your Washington Redskins, Brian Urlacher...

The Ringer

i remember there being a big argument between draft gurus about who was better between Lavar and Ulracher. And early in their careers it was actually a good argument to get into. But now I kinda side with the Ulracher side.

Kind of?

Arrington seemed like a great idea at the time and indeed proved to be just that until he got hurt. Even if we had taken someone else, there's no guarantee that it would have worked out any better five years later.

Exactly.

I wonder how Urlacher would have done learning a new defense every year for the first 4 years here in DC. You think he would have gotten sick and tired of being here like Champ or LA?

LaVar should have and would have been the #1 overall pick in 2000 but he told the Browns he did not want to play for them and wanted to go to Washington (per Chris Mortenson).

LaVar was the top player (not just linebacker) in the 2000 draft. The Skins were lucky to get him at #2. Too bad a dysfunctional organization and then injuries sidetracked (potentially derailed) his career.

Napolean Harris, MLB from the Vikings will be a FA.

Harris, Rocky, Marcus at LB. Draft a DE or DT. Sign a FA CB.

I am with you. I don't agree with him in the least. The ones of us who have been around a little while understand that his summary is clearly based upon his flat out hatred of Snyder and the way the team is run. I can't argue with someone, nor would I attempt to, that has already made up his mind.

Mr. Madd is entilted to his own opinion and I respect that. A lot just tend to disagree with his thoughts but I am positive that he is used to that. :laugh:

Some of you are crazy. Arrington was just as physically gifted as Urlacher is. In hindsight I would still have drafted Arrington. Arrington got injured and was never the same. Urlacher could tear his knee up next year and be the next Arrington. And remember, it's all about the scheme of the D. Urlacher didn't blossum until Lovie went to Chicago. Arrington was lights out nasty instantly and people didn't want him let go last year. I still regret letting him loose. When he left teams weren't afraid of our defense anymore. That to me is a big reason our D fell off the table this year. Tell me one team that is afraid to run right at us now. Nodody is afraid of Warrick Holdman. QB's and RB's would tell you that you always have to account for Arrington, and I personally don't think his career is finished.

Remember how nasty the Giants D was early this year when he was on the field, and How weak they looked was he was gone. Certain players have the intimidation factor. Guys like Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Freeny, and yes Arrington was one of them. Don't start acting like Lavar was some bust or something. Anyone else remember the play two years ago in preseason when he leveled Vick and and we scored on the fumble he caused or when he ended Aikman's career. I sure do. But maybe I'm crazy for not thinking that Urlacher is the greatest linebacker to ever play.

Arrington might have been scary for some people but he really didn't do anything for the Giants until he tipped a Brunell pass. That remains all he has done in New York.

My man, you missed my point. It's not always the plays you make that matter. It's the attention you get. Champ Bailey is respected because of the possibilities. He makes the field smaller, because teams don't throw at him. In DC, no receiver wants to catch the football around Sean Taylor, and in Indy running backs will always thrive because of Manning. My point is that even though Arrinton didn't always make plays in NY he affects the other teams strategy and gameplan in more ways than just the plays on the field. I mean even the Brunell tipped pass was caused by him putting the fear of god into Mark Brunell. :2cents:

People tend to forget that Arrington was supposed to be a MIDDLE LINEBACKER. He was supposed to be the true heart of the defense, as in signaling plays and getting people to line-up correctly. Unfortunately, he never put in the effort in the film room or on the field. It's either that, or he was too stupid to figure out his role. I know that Ray Rhodes was his first coordinator, and he made Lofa Tatupu look like an all-pro in his rookie season at the Mike. Outside of the one year Schottenheimer-era, he never really had a dominant season. I would argue that he was never the best defensive player on our team throughout his tenure: 2000-Bailey, 2001-Barber, 2002-Gardener, 2003- Bailey, 2004- Griffin, 2005- Washington.

Urlacher had never played Linebacker before in his career. He was a safety in college. So of coarse nobody in the world, even the bears, had an idea he would be this great of a linebacker. They just lucked out.

And LaVar showed flashes of brilliance as a linebacker for us at times.

However, it does go to show that listening to hype and prestige about a player who was a superstar in college can come back to haunt you. That is one thing you can look back in your 20/20 hindsite and learn from for the future. I mean look at Heath Shuler, KiJana Carter, Akil Smith, Ryan Leaf, Lendale White, even Reggie Bush and Ricky Williams. And then look at players who had little to no hype at all like Marques Colston, Deuce McAllister, Chris Cooley, Tom Brady, Joe Theisman, all of the Hogs, Mike Vick, and the aformentioned Brian Urlacher and look how good they were.

Hype is just hype and can be a draft killer. That's why you ingore it and honestly evaluate and scout players and just listen to your brain and you gut regardless of what the media and the general public hype. I mean if you listened to all the hype, Mike Vick would already be anointed for the Hall of Fame as the best player in that draft while Ladanian Tomlinson would just be and OK player.

I'll stop because I think I've made the point.

And then look at players who had little to no hype at all like Marques Colston, Deuce McAllister, Chris Cooley, Tom Brady, Joe Theisman, all of the Hogs, Mike Vick, and the aformentioned Brian Urlacher and look how good they were.

one of these names is not like the other.

one of these names just doesn't belong.

seriously. how do you put mike vick in that group? he quite possibly belongs in the other one you mentioned w/ lavar and company, but definitely not this one.

one of these names is not like the other.

one of these names just doesn't belong.

seriously. how do you put mike vick in that group? he quite possibly belongs in the other one you mentioned w/ lavar and company, but definitely not this one.

Maybe he meant Marcus Vick. :doh: :laugh:

:helmet:

However, it does go to show that listening to hype and prestige about a player who was a superstar in college can come back to haunt you. That is one thing you can look back in your 20/20 hindsite and learn from for the future. I mean look at Heath Shuler, KiJana Carter, Akil Smith, Ryan Leaf, Lendale White, even Reggie Bush and Ricky Williams. And then look at players who had little to no hype at all like Marques Colston, Deuce McAllister, Chris Cooley, Tom Brady, Joe Theisman, all of the Hogs, Mike Vick, and the aformentioned Brian Urlacher and look how good they were.

It's kinda early to write off Lendale White and Reggie Bush, considering they each went through their first seasons in the league. For all we know, both of them could grow to live up to the enourmous hype they each had surrounding them (White not so much, considering he dropped very quickly at the combine).

Michael Vick had all the hype in the world around him. For the most part, all #1 overall picks get enourmous amounts of hype in one way or another (whether it be through their careers as a whole, the combine, or Senior bowls).

i remember there being a big argument between draft gurus about who was better between Lavar and Ulracher. And early in their careers it was actually a good argument to get into. But now I kinda side with the Ulracher side.

There's actually a law that says, and I'm quoting: "Since 1993, if there is a choice between two players on draft day, and the Redskins are making that choice, then the choice that the Redskins make will be a bust."

They were equals in terms of athleticism, which is actually pretty remarkable. Lavar has had injury problems and coaching changes that Urlacher largely has not had to deal with, but Lavar IMHO has also not worked as hard at his craft as Urlacher has.

The truth is that Lavar's career has been disappointing, and it's ending in a combination of bitter recriminations and injuries. He'll never be the same again, and I'm wondering whether he'll even start 16 more games in his career.

There's actually a law that says, and I'm quoting: "Since 1993, if there is a choice between two players on draft day, and the Redskins are making that choice, then the choice that the Redskins make will be a bust."

We certainly suffered through the 1990's in that regard, but I'm not unhappy with our first rounders in recent years. Bailey, Samuels, Lavar (initially), and Taylor were all guys who justified their draft positions. Gardner's been the only clear 1st round bust; Ramsey may qualify too, though he's been no worse than his classmates Harrington and Carr, and he suffered through a lot of turmoil with us.

Archived