Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gaines Adams- Bad Pick

cavs9

I have a friend who is a starting tight end on an ACC team, and he says Gaines Adams is not that strong, and is not even the best end in the ACC. He says he'll probably be mauled by NFL O-linemen. Sure, he made an impact last year, but it was somewhat of a down year for O-lines in the ACC, and for the conference in general. Thought you all might like to know. I think Alan Branch is our best bet.

Ill take the word of Mel Kiper and nfl scouts over your buddy who played college ball. Is your buddy going to be drafted in the first round? Drafted at all? Im not trying to bash your post, and I thank you for the insight. Im just not sold is all. Good post though, its info we wouldnt have gotten otherwise, and maybe someone in the FO reads it and takes it into consideration. :cheers:

Gaines had a great year the year before and came into the season #2 on Mel Kiper's bigboard. I would say back to back good years makes him a safe pick. Your friend probably sucks and never saw the field anyway.

if im not mistaken he did say that his friend is a STARTING tight end in the ACC................

Gaines' value comes from being able to put up double digit sacks and able to stop the run as well. Sounds like a good fit for us.

your ignorant if you think gaines adam can stop the run at the NFL level,he couldn't even do it at the college level.

i still want to get branch.

apart from everything thats already been said, branch - along with any rookie dt - has far less pressure on him than adams or anderson. i think that rookies know there is pressure on them to produce. how does a de feel he has to produce? sacks - plain and simple. even if he plays well, it could be a mental thing and lack of confidence that could come over a rookie de that doesnt produce sacks. a dt, however, just knows he has to come in and play solid and help his team play total team defense.

branch may not be as great as a playmaker as anderson or adams, but i think branch would be the one to improve our overall team defense the most right off the bat.

tgijef

Sigh. Can't pick him either. That's Branch and Adams I've seen so far. List is getting smaller. ;) Going to be good and bad for all these players, that's why it's a bit of a roll of the dice with these top round picks. Makes things interesting too.

Gaines' value comes from being able to put up double digit sacks and able to stop the run as well. Sounds like a good fit for us.

Really? The knock on him is that he is bad against the run, actually.

However, I think we need to get a DE/DT in FA, and then Draft the one we dont pick up in FA. Basically, if say we get Sands in FA, we go after at #6 Anderson. If we get someone like J. Smith or C. Grant in FA, then go after Branch of Okoye at #6. This is all assuming that we dont trade down. If we trade down, I think it's because we:

1. Got a trading partner obviously, but I think in a deep draft it will be a bit mroe difficult.

2. We went hog wild again in FA and got both a DE and DT. Trading down, we can still get the top MLB in the draft, and one of the top 5 CB's as well. I think that these 2 areas are not as big of a concern as the D-line is, but are right behind it.

I've been saying that Adams has bust written all over him, and this information certainly doesn't help his case. I'll be pretty disappointed if we take this guy at the 6-spot. I think the only DE worth picking at our spot is anderson, or maybe Branch at DT. If we trade down and we somehow land Adams, that might be a bit more excusable. But, I doubt he makes it beyond the top 10 or 15.

Gaines had a great year the year before and came into the season #2 on Mel Kiper's bigboard. I would say back to back good years makes him a safe pick. Your friend probably sucks and never saw the field anyway.

Actually...he's all-ACC and will be a senior next year, then will enter the draft. So yeah, he might be wrong, and Adams could be a hall of famer one day for us who knows, but I think he's a pretty good source.

Archived