Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone see this tasteless sign in the Chicago stands?

NoCalMike

Who do you want to lead our country? A...  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to lead our country? A...

• Thinker / Philosopher
    • Scientist
    • Politician
    • Capitalist / Business Man
    • Military Officer

Now a serious question, if you can handle one.... How about a bunch of people from NO(that stands for New Orleans) come to your single-wide in VA with a bulldozer, bash it to pieces, then goes to all your friends single-wides, pummels those, then your parents, grandparents, aunt and uncles, and EVERY OTHER SINGLE SOLITARY THING YOU HOLD DEAR TO YOUR COLD HEART.....how would you feel about that sign after having someone read it to you???

Don't forget to add a lake afterwards. The devastation was made that much worse because of all the water.

I don't put Katrina and the Saints together. The people who keep showing the fans of NO that's a representation of the people who are suffering. Those people can't afford to go to games. Matter of fact tell some of those players to hangout in the 9th word. Believe those people don't care about the N.O. Saints at the moment. They can try to make a story out of it all they want but it doesn't matter.

look philly guy, I'm from the navajo reservation, so don't even come crying to me about tragedies. Although what happened to NO was horrible, that was nothing to what happens on Indian reservations now.

Indian reservations are routinely flooded with dead bodies floating all around them & people jumping from buildings killing themselves because they had lost everything? Wow, that's terrible.

I don't mean to downplay what goes on on the Res., but not everyone is ready for that kind of humor. I didn't find it funny at all. Maybe in your world, death & tragedy are commonplace & seeing Katrina victims doesn't affect you. But it affects so many other people. In my mind, New Orleans stands for "neglected." It is right here, in our faces, showing EVERYONE the disorganization & untrustworthiness that our govt offers. It's one thing when it is in Iraq because it isn't right in front of us all the time. New Orleans is home. Home. Iraq is not.

look philly guy, I'm from the navajo reservation

The nation?

Indian reservations are routinely flooded with dead bodies floating all around them & people jumping from buildings killing themselves because they had lost everything? Wow, that's terrible.

Many reservations like some in AZ are built over percious minerals. One here is built over the biggest uranium deopsit in the world or something. The people that try to live there get sick from the mining, the conditions are poor to begin with, many of the navajo suffer from obesity because their bodies still arent used to very refined unhealthy foods, a lot of them turn into alcoholics due to a genetic pre-disposition...its actually pretty sad. Katrina happened once and got a lot of attention. These things happen constantly and get little to no attention.

Damn, you guys were pretty hard on DD.

Listen, I know Katrina was a horrible disaster that killed many and ruined the lives of thousands more. The effects of this tragedy will be felt for years. It is a true American Tragedy.

Now let us think back to 9/11. Horrible disaster. American Tragedy. A day to never be forgotten. Do you remember the first time you laughed, I mean really had a knee-slapping belly-jerking laugh after those ****ing terrorists ran a plane into the WTC?

For me it came watching Saturday Night Live a couple of weeks later when they first came back on the air. I remember Giuliani coming out and thanking the NYFD and the NYPD and all of the volunteers.

Then he made some dumb joke.

I lauged for twenty minutes.

The point is, nobody will ever be able to forget the tragedy that befell the city of New Orleans, but eventually, with some help and a lot of time, we will be able to laugh at it.

When I saw that picture for the first time in another thread, I ended up on the floor laughing.

Some people need the 22 years, and others don't.

Eh nevermind. Run along all.

Listen, I know Katrina was a horrible disaster that killed many and ruined the lives of thousands more. The effects of this tragedy will be felt for years. It is a true American Tragedy.

Now let us think back to 9/11. Horrible disaster. American Tragedy. A day to never be forgotten. Do you remember the first time you laughed, I mean really had a knee-slapping belly-jerking laugh after those ****ing terrorists ran a plane into the WTC?

For me it came watching Saturday Night Live a couple of weeks later when they first came back on the air. I remember Giuliani coming out and thanking the NYFD and the NYPD and all of the volunteers.

The point is, nobody will ever be able to forget the tragedy that befell the city of New Orleans, but eventually, with some help and a lot of time, we will be able to laugh at it.

When I saw that picture for the first time in another thread, I ended up on the floor laughing.

that picture made you hit the floor laughing? damn, you must be easily amused

and about eventually being able to laugh at what happened with New Orleans, what could you possibly laugh at?

When good taste travels to NO and builds a house, let me know. When class provides the financial assets a relocated family needs to go home for good, let me know.

The sign wasn't funny, but it also caused no harm. As much fun as it is to feel morally superior, I think everyone should remember that it doesn't accomplish anything for anyone.

When good taste travels to NO and builds a house, let me know. When class provides the financial assets a relocated family needs to go home for good, let me know.

The sign wasn't funny, but it also caused no harm. As much fun as it is to feel morally superior, I think everyone should remember that it doesn't accomplish anything for anyone.

really? how insightful. did you personally ask the MILLIONS of people affected by katrina if that sign was hurtful?

anyone that thinks that sign has any place near decency has been caught up in the media driven world that society has become and does not truly remember how awful the tragedy really was.

Laughing at anything related to 9/11 is the most horrible thing that I've heard since Holocaust jokes. Defending that sign is up there, too.

I hope that my children never, ever talk to you about humor.

Oh, and this coming from a guy who's had a stand-up show at Madison Square Garden after winning two new talent contests. So, yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

When you live in a place other than Columbia, which is located in the county that vacillates between being the second, third, and fourth richest in the WORLD, and is ranked the fourth-best place to live in the country, then tell me something about how something on the scale of Katrina affected New Orleans and what jokes like that mean.

Oh, and I live in Columbia, too. Just for the record.

really? how insightful. did you personally ask the MILLIONS of people affected by katrina if that sign was hurtful?

anyone that thinks that sign has any place near decency has been caught up in the media driven world that society has become and does not truly remember how awful the tragedy really was.

It's actually the exact opposite of that. Anyone who thinks that sign is the problem forgets that actual human beings died, and actual human beings continue to struggle to live day to day as a result. That has nothing to do with the sign, and ultimately, people's high-horse compassion distorts the reality of the tragedy just as much as the sign.

Like I said, it's possible to truly sympathize with everyone affected by the tragedy, and to allow yourself to laugh at a joke at the same time. Store bought sentimentality is a bigger problem in America than what you described as "the media driven world that society has become."

Have a fun time shouting at everyone from your perch about how classless and tasteless they are. I just happen to realize you do it for your own personal fulfillment.

When you live in a place other than Columbia, which is located in the county that vacillates between being the second, third, and fourth richest in the WORLD, and is ranked the fourth-best place to live in the country, then tell me something about how something on the scale of Katrina affected New Orleans and what jokes like that mean.

Oh, and I live in Columbia, too. Just for the record.

Well, not that this changes anything, but I don't live in Columbia anymore. I live in San Diego, which is in itself a sort of bubble from the real problems of the country.

The point is, over-sentimentality ultimately is for the people who espouse it, not for those it's directed towards.

Laughing at anything related to 9/11 is the most horrible thing that I've heard since Holocaust jokes. Defending that sign is up there, too.

I hope that my children never, ever talk to you about humor.

Oh, and this coming from a guy who's had a stand-up show at Madison Square Garden after winning two new talent contests. So, yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

Many comedians in New York City told jokes about 9/11 IN MANHATTAN the week of the attack.

Gilbert Godfried, I believe, was given a standing ovation for this one.

"I needed to fly from here to Chicago tomorrow, but I wasn't so keen about the layover they had scheduled at the Empire States building."

People were sad. They heard the joke. They smiled, and for that second, the joke justified the existence of comedy.

Well, not that this changes anything, but I don't live in Columbia anymore. I live in San Diego, which is in itself a sort of bubble from the real problems of the country.

The point is, over-sentimentality ultimately is for the people who espouse it, not for those it's directed towards.

Well said, but bad taste, insensitivity, and apathy are sources of a lot of the world's problems.

Why do you think New Orleans was so vulnerable to begin with?

Many comedians in New York City told jokes about 9/11 IN MANHATTAN the week of the attack.

Gilbert Godfried, I believe, was given a standing ovation for this one.

"I needed to fly from here to Chicago tomorrow, but I wasn't so keen about the layover they had scheduled at the Empire States building."

People were sad. They heard the joke. They smiled, and for that second, the joke justified the existence of comedy.

I guess I'm blurring a line, but I don't have a problem with jokes like that. That doesn't mock anyone, or threaten to take down the rest of the buildings.

Want to know another joke that was around then? A website had a "Tasteless T-shirt of the Week". What was on the shirt? "I [picture of a an airplane] NY".

That's the "Comedy" that I'm disgusted with.

I don't put Katrina and the Saints together. The people who keep showing the fans of NO that's a representation of the people who are suffering. Those people can't afford to go to games. Matter of fact tell some of those players to hangout in the 9th word. Believe those people don't care about the N.O. Saints at the moment. They can try to make a story out of it all they want but it doesn't matter.

That is basically what it comes down to, and that is why I feel the sign is in poor taste. If Katrina was just some storm that say, mssed up the Saints Dome and caused them to have to forfiet a game, then that is one thing, but Katrina hurt the PEOPLE of New Orleans, not the Saints. Not to say the players hearts don't go out to the people, but in reality it was a lot of the low income folks that will forever be effected, probably at least into their next generation. So the sign is kind of mis-directed.

Well said, but bad taste, insensitivity, and apathy are the source of a lot of the world's problems.

Why do you think New Orleans was so vulnerable to begin with?

Listen man, like I said earlier in this thread, I spent a week in NO helping last year when I was still in college. The impact of the event and the negligence of the government for shameful economic reasons are not lost to me. I just happen to think actual real-world understanding is more important than tag lines people use to describe every unforunate event that ever reaches their ears.

Listen man, like I said earlier in this thread, I spent a week in NO helping last year when I was still in college. The impact of the event and the negligence of the government for shameful economic reasons are not lost to me. I just happen to think actual real-world understanding is more important than tag lines people use to describe every unforunate event that ever reaches their ears.

Uh-huh, and in the real world, how many lives were lost and how many were ruined? Katrina killed people and destroyed people's lives; it wasn't G-d saying "Eff you, Saints!" That sign was an attack on the people, not the team, and, malicious or not, that is unacceptable. You'd figure that the real world would teach you that much. ;)

Uh-huh, and in the real world, how many lives were lost and how many were ruined? Katrina killed people and destroyed people's lives; it wasn't G-d saying "Eff you, Saints!" That sign was an attack on the people, not the team, and, malicious or not, that is unacceptable. You'd figure that the real world would teach you that much. ;)

No, the storm was an attack on the people. The sign was a joke that had an inordinantly high risk of offending people.

I'm guessing here, because any imagining I could do on the issue would be exactly that, but I think if I were one of the people affected by Katrina, I couldn't imagine caring less about a sign at a football game. The only people I imagine getting upset by it are unconnected people with a sensitivity to these matters. Conversely, I think the "Saints saving New Orleans story" is Hollywood influenced, trite garbage. New houses and economic aid will save New Orleans. The Saints will result in a Disney produced film 10 years from now a la Miracle, Invincible, Remember the Titans, etc.

If all the energy people expend tossing around excerpts from Hallmark cards with their mock compassion was directed at something constructive, maybe things would be a bit better off down there.

But then again, here I am pounding away on a keyboard my own lectures, so what do I know.

No, the storm was an attack on the people. The sign was a joke that had an inordinantly high risk of offending people.

I'm guessing here, because any imagining I could do on the issue would be exactly that, but I think if I were one of the people affected by Katrina, I couldn't imagine caring less about a sign at a football game. The only people I imagine getting upset by it are unconnected people with a sensitivity to these matters. Conversely, I think the "Saints saving New Orleans story" is Hollywood influenced, trite garbage. New houses and economic aid will save New Orleans. The Saints will result in a Disney produced film 10 years from now a la Miracle, Invincible, Remember the Titans, etc.

If all the energy people expend tossing around excerpts from Hallmark cards with their mock compassion was directed at something constructive, maybe things would be a bit better off down there.

But then again, here I am pounding away on a keyboard my own lectures, so what do I know.

I disagree with you, but not as much as I respect you for your maturity as well as the quality of your arguments. Maybe I'm stereotyping, but, I really didn't expect to find that on an NFL messageboard.

You've got a lot of points that I agree with, but you've got one that I can't go along with. "the only people I imagine getting upset by it are unconnected people with a sensitivity to these matters." You can't prove that because, I'm assuming, you don't know anyone who was affected by it, but I showed my friend who goes to College Park because Tulane couldn't let her in her freshman semester last year, and she was hurt. And a stupid sign that looks like it was made by a five-year-old that nobody on the effing team even read is not worth hurting someone.

It wasn't clever, it wasn't well executed, it wasn't necessary, and it wasn't worth it.

Archived