Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Linebackers moving in different direction?

RedzoneHunter

After firing linebackers coach Dale Lindsey, Joe Gibbs said, "We have decided to move in a different direction with our linebackers." Reading between the lines, this statement likely means one of two things:

(1) Either the coaching staff plans to switch from the 4-3 to a 3-4 lineup, or

(2) Dale Lindsey fell out of G. Williams favor, and he wants to hire a new linebacker coach?

This bears watching..... Any thoughts on this?

I think it means that the linebackers sucked last year and things need to change. Reading deeper into it, I think it also means Holdman will definitely be gone in exchange for better talent and Marshall will be demoted to backup WLB/MLB, even though I still say Khary Campbell is better than him.

We do NOT have the personnel to runa 3-4. We'd need a full draft and a FA signing or two to transition, similar to when Dallas signed Jason Ferguson and then drafted Spears/Ware/Canty.

Basically by moving in a different direction Gibbs just means he wants our LB's to tackle next year.

I'm not sure we have the personnel to run a 3-4.
That's what I was thinking also. This is kinda puzzling.

After reading suggestions about playing the 3-4 every week for the last year or two, it's become one of my pet peeves. No, we do not have the personnel for a 3-4. Not even close. We're only short on basically ALL the essential personnel. No two gap NT, no tweener DE/LB types to play OLB, no big, run stuffing MLB, nothing. We don't have 3-4 personnel, period.

"going in a new direction" = actually playing and excelling at the position

Which is a new direction from any LB's we have had here in the last 5 years. We might get a piece here or there (washington) but as a whole our linebacking core is a joke compared to other NFL franchises.

We better move in a New Direction.

Or maybe the same defense, with new packages under the tree? If so, I hope the packages are better than last years packages.:doh:

You have to keep things fresh espicially when you have a top D like the Skins had 2 years ago or teams plan for them really well.

They better make their mind up as to what they are going to do as this will affect the FA and draft picks this coming year.

They will keep going backward until we get a better D line...

When talking about the D-Line, let's be modest and suggest maybe another DE to spell Daniels and DT to rotate between Griffin and Solivaea' (sp?).

In other words, the games are predetermined between the D-Line and O-Line.

:helmet:

The only way to move to 3-4 is to get a massive Nose guard like a Alan Branch which is what I think Romeo Crennell will do if Brady Quinn isnt there for the Browns.

You could then use Branch at NT, Griffin and probably Goldston at DEs with carter moved back to OLB but we would still need ILBs

I would put the 3-4 stuff out of your mind. We won't be switching to a base 3-4.

The firing probably is exactly what it appears to be. That Dale Lindsay had worn out his welcome in Washington, and the performance of his unit had dipped considerably. This is one of those things where I don't think there is too much read between the lines.

Maybe this is something that Gibbs has been looking at doing for 2 years now, but could not justify it until now because the LB's were paying so well.

When talking about the D-Line, let's be modest and suggest maybe another DE to spell Daniels and DT to rotate between Griffin and Solivaea' (sp?).

In other words, the games are predetermined between the D-Line and O-Line.

:helmet:

I think we need a DE to supplant Daniels - not spell him...

Wynn and Daniels are both approaching thirty-five years of age. Salavea and Griffin are thirty-two. We cannot igore the fact that all with the exception of Wynn are chronically injured. We need a RDE and another DT for the line.

Archived