Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Redskins Sign 16 Players

jimster

Redskins Sign 16 Players

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01122007/v2852.html

Jan 12, 12:15 PM (ET) Email this Story

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -The Washington Redskins signed 16 players Friday, all prospects who will essentially get offseason tryouts to earn a spot at training camp.

The most notable name is offensive lineman Kili Lefotu, a 2006 seventh-round draft pick who was hospitalized during last year's training camp after losing consciousness in his room. He returned to play in the preseason but was cut when the roster was trimmed to 53 at the start of the regular season.

Seven of the players signed spent at least part of the season on the practice squad: receivers Steven Harris and Ryan Hoag, linebacker Anthony Trucks, defensive tackles Lorenzo Alexander and Vaka Manapuna, offensive lineman Calvin Armstrong and defensive end Jamaal Green.

Also signed were quarterback Casey Bramlet, receiver Cedric Bonner, defensive tackle Jared Clauss, defensive backs Jerrell Pippens and Chip Cox, tight end Eric Edwards, offensive lineman William Whitticker and defensive end Chris Wilson.

Glad to see Kili is coming back. He seemed like a great guy with passion for the game, and the players like him a lot.

yeah, I am still hoping he turns out to be a nice find for us. - Maybe they were afraid to play him last year due to his collapse or whatever.

I vote for this guy to be made a starter on the grounds that his name is "Trucks" and he's a linebacker.

Yea I remember when he was first signed to the practice squad this past season I thought the same thing.

"Romo sits to pee hands off to Barber up the middle on the goaline...and Anthony Trucks the ball carrier and Barber fumbles! Sean Taylor picks up the loose fumble and carries it 99 yards for the score!"

Notice how we're signing prospects now because of lack of salary cap space.

I agree with it though!

I'd say these are mostly camp-fodder moves, not desperate fill-out-the-roster-with-cheap-bodies moves. Let's see how many of these guys are still on the roster come August...

I'd say these are mostly camp-fodder moves, not desperate fill-out-the-roster-with-cheap-bodies moves. Let's see how many of these guys are still on the roster come August...

I'd say you are right, but you never know you could find a Herb Mul-Key in the bunch. Seems to me at one time Antonio Pierce was camp fodder also.

Yeah, same guy. Signed him onto the practice squad toward the end of the season.

Jason

If memory serves and it usually doesn't :), Green was a beast on the other side of the d-line where J.McDougle was at the U.

I believe this guy was hurt while with the Eagles in his first year with them, but what in the world happen to him since? When the Eagles picked him and McDougle in the draft I remember just sitting there shaking my head like it was the end of the world.

these are no doubt training camp bodies, but I don't remember us ever getting these guys signed so early in the off-season. - Sounds like we're trying to get a jump on things.

Archived