Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Improvement at TE???

chaught76

TE is the last thing we should worry about. Cooley is a monster, and Fauria and Yoder are great for depth. Cooley is the pass catcher, Fauria is a good blocker and Yoder is a good backup for both. I think we need Defense

more than anything...

Cooley had a solid, but less productive season this year. I know about our offensive problems early on and I am these contributed greatly to his effectiveness, but does anyone else think moving Cooley to TE hindered his effectiveness? What I mean is, as an H-Back he got moved around more and was in motion more. This played to his benefit because more mismatches could be created. At TE, he was in more of a fixed position, so he wasn't put in a position to take advantage of the opposing defense fully.

Cooley is a great TE, but could he be even more effective for us by putting him back into his H-Back position? Just a thought.

Thjere's no H-back in Saunders offense. Plus, I think Cooley's dip in production was a result of overall problems with the passing game, including, but not limited to Brunell. We are better off with Sellers as FB and Colley at TE than having hybrid positions.

haynos used to sit in front of me in my stats class.. the man is huge.. hes 6'7 and a huge body

You go to UMD?... dude thats awesome.... I figured there were a few of us out there but i didnt know where to look..... but NE ways...

Haynos looks like a beast that would be a great mid round pick for 08.

You go to UMD?... dude thats awesome.... I figured there were a few of us out there but i didnt know where to look..... but NE ways...

Haynos looks like a beast that would be a great mid round pick for 08.

ya im a junior right now.. u go to umd? hit me up on pm or aim..

as mentioned, there will be a slew of TE's in for training camp, between free agents, our own guys, and late round/undrafted guys.

I think Fauria will be gone, as expected. Yoder will be back though. Obviously Cooley as well (provided he doesn't hold out). Remember, we do use Mike Pucillo as a backup TE in addition to being a backup center/guard. Kozlowski will not be here initially, but it depends on if we feel like carrying a young or veteran TE at the 3rd TE spot on the roster. I hope it's a young guy. The TE is an important position of any team, but the backup TE's do not have to be world class talents, they can be raw young guys with potential (and please let them have a good jumping ability).

TE depth is a very minor concern. We need players on defense. We don't have to time to worry about minor issue such as this. BTW Am I the only only that finds the fact that the Bengals have a TE named Tony Stewart funny? I mean what are the chances of a guy named Tony Stewart playing for the NFL's only team with a Home Depot color scheme :laugh:

i though furia stunk. i would have liked to keep ben ortega. i know people would say ortega wasnt a blocking te but i dont think furia was that goog at blocking either. ortega would fit in real good in this offense especially if something happened to cooley.

I agree, I wish we had kept him.

I have seen a lot of talk on here about improving the defense and I do not disagree.

What do we do to improve our TE position? Let's face it, Cooley is all we have. Fauria was mistake. Yoder is OK for a depth player and maybe specail teams and Kozlowski is over the hill. The only reason I guess I am really completely surprised I haven't seen more discussion about our TE depth is because our defense was so terrible.

So, how about it? What can we do improve our TE depth behind Cooley?

:helmet:

We finally figured out Joe Gibbs' handle at this site! Considering the state of the defense why even bring up the TE position. :doh:

I agree, I wish we had kept him.

We should have kept Robert Royal. He was a solid blocker, and a positive locker room guy. He was labeled as a "core Skin" by many guys like CP. That said, I do think we need a reliable second TE, preferably a guy who is a primary blocker, but can also catch a ball every once in awhile.

Is Yoder that guy? :whoknows:

as mentioned, there will be a slew of TE's in for training camp, between free agents, our own guys, and late round/undrafted guys.

I think Fauria will be gone, as expected. Yoder will be back though. Obviously Cooley as well (provided he doesn't hold out). Remember, we do use Mike Pucillo as a backup TE in addition to being a backup center/guard. Kozlowski will not be here initially, but it depends on if we feel like carrying a young or veteran TE at the 3rd TE spot on the roster. I hope it's a young guy. The TE is an important position of any team, but the backup TE's do not have to be world class talents, they can be raw young guys with potential (and please let them have a good jumping ability).

Hi, Mr. S.!

What do you mean "as expected"? Christian has a two year deal...

I liked having Buck Ortega in the mix, too. I'm telling you, gang, with more opportunities, Christian will show what he can do and how valuable and good he is.

CarrollsMine99.

I think we need to really work on developing Robert Johnson and Buck ortega this off-season...I like their size and the different skill sets that they bring to the table...

If we go the FA route I would be happy w/Eric Johnson, or Daniel Graham...I would also like Utecht but he is an RFA so we would have to give up future draft picks...

Daniel Graham would be a great fit for the Redskins. He will however need to be offered starters money to sign him. Unless the Skins plan to use many multiple TE sets, he will cost too much.

Pucillo did a nice job in jumbo packages, but is not a threat in the passing game. He was a valuable unheralded addition to the team and I certainly hope he is resigned.

A TE expected to block and pass is one of the hardest positions to learn. The must learn the all the line and open field blocking plus all the pass patterns. This is why IMO the Redskins best bet is probably to find FA vet on the cheap.

Some of you just blow my mind. I think almost everyone on our site knows we need to address the defense this offseason. I even stated it to start this thread so we could have a good thread about other items. But even still, people can't just talk about other things and only contribute replies of "we need defense" or "TE is not a priority".

Sorry to vent, just drives me crazy.

Anyways, thanks for all the good discussion on this matter.

HTTR!!!

Archived