Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints vs. Eagles: Who wins?

Alabama Man

As far as my thoughts anyway.

The Eagles are going to have to play better this week to win. I do not like the Saints in the playoffs even if the win this week, because they remind me of the Eagles of a few years back. They will NEED to get a lead early to let their defense tee of on the Eagles. The last thing the Saints want is to keep this game close. Remembers the Saints got up 17-3 going into the half in the first meeting this year, so they got dictate the whole course of the game and the Eagles still had a shot at the end. This year, the Eagles are the team that wants to play a knock down drag out type of game. Where they run and win a dogfight at the end. We know what the Saints will do and what the Eagles are going to try to do against a weaker run defense because that has been them for many years. We'll see how the Saints and their 28th run defense looks this week, with Hollis Thomas back.

I like the Eagles to win a close one.

If this does happen I can't help but wonder what willl be said. Despite what everyone tries to say when they write off the Eagles at the beginning of every season, they always seem to be the benchmark for the rest of the NFC. If the Eagles win, the excuses made for New Orleans will quickly come flying. They were not ready for a playoff atmosphere, rusty, or some other factor. But if the Eagles lose, we'll talk about how the Saints will win the Superbowl because of beating the Eagles.

Much of this game depends on the first quarter. The Eagles can not be sluggish like they were versus NY in the first period and expect to win. The Saints give up 5 ypc and if the Eagles can build momentum in the first quarter and establish the run, I think they stand a good chance in the game. Not having Lito hurts--someone else in the secondary (Hood/Hanson/James) will need to step up. We'll see.

I'm thinking Eagles 30 NO 27

I think the Eagles need to study Washington game tape and see how they rattled Brees. Getting him to move in the pocket would help tremendously. JJ needs to dial up some creative blitz packages. I do think Sean Payton is a good coach and it worries me that he could have had up to two weeks looking at tape of Philly. I think it'll be a very close game.

Payton owns Reid. The thing is, he has effectively shut down our short passing game in the past; I think it is time to unveil a different offensive scheme: mainly, running the ball with no huddle mixed in. The Saints do as many defensive substitutions as any team in the game. Catch them with a small package in and run the ball 10 straight times before they can substitute.

I think the Eagles need to study Washington game tape and see how they rattled Brees. Getting him to move in the pocket would help tremendously. JJ needs to dial up some creative blitz packages. I do think Sean Payton is a good coach and it worries me that he could have had up to two weeks looking at tape of Philly. I think it'll be a very close game.

I think it will be difficult for the Eagles to blitz without Sheppard. It will be tough for JJ to leave the other CBs in man-to-man coverage to free up a man to blitz without his best cover corner out there..

Differences between Saints first meeting with the Eagles

Eagles:

- McNabb

- Shepard

+ Stallworth

+ Losing McNabb forced the Eagles to commit to the running game

+ Eagles are on a six game win streak (though they were also flying high when we ran into them last time too)

+ Defense is playing better

Saints

- Horn is recovering from an injury

- H. Thomas has not been playing for 4 weeks.

+ Defense has playing better

+ Bush has shown to be a genuine dual threat and not just a decoy

If memory serves me correctly, the NO game was the week after the Dallas game. Philly's record after Dallas week was/is atrocious, and the emotions of that game provided for a letdown in my opinion. They can NOT start slow against the Saints as they did against the Giants.

The Saints/Peyton did a great job of keeping the Eagles defense off balance with short passes and running plays. The d-line, after having gotten 8 sacks against Dallas couldn't even give Brees a high-five after the ball was thrown.

Changes since last game:

* McNabb & Sheppard are out (big losses)

* NO gets an extra week to rest/prepare (huge)

* Hood & James are playing (Wynn played in dime packages last time I think - good riddance, overall maybe a wash b/c shepp is out).

* Stallworth is playing (big gain)

* Eagles are more difficult to prepare to defend because they're balanced now in their attack.

* Gaither replaced McCoy (Gain)

* Considine replaced Lewis (Gain, even though he couldn't freaking tackle Burress!!!)

Besides the obvious turnover battle, I think the keys are how the Eagles running game performs against the Saints and how well the Eagles contain Brees/Horn/Colston. Simoneau as their middle linebacker should be able to be run on.

Bubba had a good point about playoff experience, and I do think that can make a bit of difference.

PF

To duplicate the Redskins feat over NO the Eagles not only must pressure Brees, they must shut down their running attack. Deuce and Bush were completely neutralized. 62 combined rushing yards and Bush had only 19 receiving yards. This is the worst game to go into without Lito.

Offensively the Eagles must simply run effectively and hope Garcia doesn't come out flat like last week.

Saints 30 - Eagles 24

Saints win. The Superdome is going to be electric for a home playoff game. Lots of emotion and energy to get the saints revved up. I hate philly.

Saints home playoff performances?

Saints 31, Rams 28

Philly 36, Saints 20

Atlanta 27, Saints 20

Vikings 44, Saints 10

I'm hoping it will be more like 1992, although I think the score will be closer.

Don't worry...Philly loves you. "What the world....needs now...is love, sweet love.."

It really bothers me that we play the late game on Sunday and then are scheduled to play on Saturday the following week. I'm not for a minute suggesting NFL dislike for the Eagles, which happens to be my least favorite thing that fans do in the universe, but I do think it was a stupid decision based entirely on money (big surprise).

Why not allow teams that play on Sunday one week to play on Sunday the next week? It seems so logical to me.

It really bothers me that we play the late game on Sunday and then are scheduled to play on Saturday the following week. I'm not for a minute suggesting NFL dislike for the Eagles, which happens to be my least favorite thing that fans do in the universe, but I do think it was a stupid decision based entirely on money (big surprise).

Why not allow teams that play on Sunday one week to play on Sunday the next week? It seems so logical to me.

Thats what I was pointing out.

I didn't see how that was suggested I was making an excuse by someone.

Archived