Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Draft Blitz put it best...

[[ghost]]

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mock_draft.htm

"

7. Washington Redskins - *Alan Branch (DT) Michigan

Analysis: We don't like to predict trades in our mock drafts, but if we did this pick would almost certainly be headed somewhere else in exchange for a talented but severely overpaid veteran who could do his part to clogs the arteries of the Redskins salary cap for years to come. But since we don't, the Skins take Branch here which almost certainly won't happen because, well it makes sense.

"

I know we don't have a history of trading HIGH draft pics away for no reason, but they did put it pretty damn well.

]']http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mock_draft.htm

"

7. Washington Redskins - *Alan Branch (DT) Michigan

Analysis: We don't like to predict trades in our mock drafts' date=' but if we did this pick would almost certainly be headed somewhere else in exchange for a talented but severely overpaid veteran who could do his part to clogs the arteries of the Redskins salary cap for years to come.[/color'] But since we don't, the Skins take Branch here which almost certainly won't happen because, well it makes sense.

"

I know we don't have a history of trading HIGH draft pics away for no reason, but they did put it pretty damn well.

They havent gotten around to doing that yet. Just give this FO more time and lets see what they can do.

Yea I completely agree with them. I really want us to pick this guy up I think he will help us big time. Griffin at 100% was a big reason why our D has been so good the past 2 years. He has a hard time staying on the field healthy for a full year and is not getting younger. Branch and Griff in at the same time would be a freaking load. Come on FO dont let us down but you probably will.

Just another example of how the Skins have turned into a league joke under Snyder. We have a front office that is the punchline for every draft, trade, or free agent joke in the NFL.

Oh, B.S.! The press picked on Snyder on the fist day he purchased the team. A middle class fan who became self-made and they are flat out jealous. The man never gets a break because he wants to build a winner! Go hide in your room and continue to buy into the PR machine of the WP and others.

alright I'm sorry... but it's not like that guy knows whats best for the Redskins. Not ONE PLAYER is going to bring us to the SUPERBOWL. If we don't get Alan Branch than we'll suck and only because we didn't get him, that makes no sense. There are sooo many holes on our team right now. There are so many other great defensive picks that we can take in the first round that aren't even on the d-line. And though I think having Branch would be a great thing, getting a DE is a much more pressing need than a DT. And, as I was listening to sportstalk 980 I was in agreement with a lot of what Brian Mitchell was saying... the only units on this football team that have come alive lately are the lines, the defensive line and offensive line. Even when we added pressure to Bulger, there were 2 receivers WIDE OPEN in the backfield, so one quick release before getting sacked equaled a first down all the time.

Do we really need another DT with Golston and Montgomery developing along with Grif.?

I would think Corner would be a HUGE need with Spring's injuries/age, Rogers being a #2 (on good days) so far and NO DEPTH after that (Wright's not cutting it for me and Jimoh hasn't been used that much other than being an excellent STer).

Also what about DE? Carter is getting better but Wynn and Daniels are getting older and injured as well and lack the Speed. We could use another DE that can rush (we haven't had 2 tremendous DEs playing at the same time since Mann and Manley)

MLB is also possible since Marshall is getting older and pounded by bigger backs.

If somehow we could swing a deal to get a low round 1st a 2nd and maybe a 4th for our 1st-- I'd be really happy. Too bad the only team that would do something like that is the Redskins :mad:

Do we really need another DT with Golston and Montgomery developing along with Grif.?

I would think Corner would be a HUGE need with Spring's injuries/age, Rogers being a #2 (on good days) so far and NO DEPTH after that (Wright's not cutting it for me and Jimoh hasn't been used that much other than being an excellent STer).

Also what about DE? Carter is getting better but Wynn and Daniels are getting older and injured as well and lack the Speed. We could use another DE that can rush (we haven't had 2 tremendous DEs playing at the same time since Mann and Manley)

MLB is also possible since Marshall is getting older and pounded by bigger backs.

If somehow we could swing a deal to get a low round 1st a 2nd and maybe a 4th for our 1st-- I'd be really happy. Too bad the only team that would do something like that is the Redskins :mad:

I agree with you. I don't see why we would bag Golston right away while he is making significant progress next to Griffin. This is all presuming that Alan Branch will even try to enter the draft early (he's a junior). I just think it's a bad decision to chose someone at DT when we have depth there and a rookie who is making large improvements game in and game out. That, to me, would be a wasted draft pick, but who knows?

I feel like CB is a position that would best be addressed in free agency (Clements, Saumels) and would be handled well by a younger vet, but we definately need to address that position... Wright sucks, Springs is hurt way too often.

Depending upon who is available and it looks that Adams won't be available and Branch may not enter the draft I think our best bet in the draft would be LaRon Landry. He plays like an animal (at the college level so far) and has made a name for himself every season with LSU, while being a leader as well. We all know our secondary stinks, and whats better than a nasty safety to help take the load off of ST's shoulder and roam the field damging receivers.

"Oh, B.S.! The press picked on Snyder on the fist day he purchased the team. A middle class fan who became self-made and they are flat out jealous. The man never gets a break because he wants to build a winner! Go hide in your room and continue to buy into the PR machine of the WP and others."

pack sand. by all accounts....Snyder is a manifest failure as a football franchise owner. Build a winner???? where have you had your head buried all these years?

quit glossing over the obvious -> Snyder hasn't fixed anything since assuming leadership of this franchise. but he has presided over the emergence of the Skins as a league joke. ACCOUNTABILITY......doesn't matter if you're poor, middle calss or rich...you are still gonna be judged by what you achieve.

This is hilarious in that everyone league-wide has an opinion, well founded, of how adept we are at mortgaging this team into competitive irrelevance. The sad thing is we may pick Branch, who is exactly what we need, but if we had any inclination in facing our past sins, we would trade down the board to get back some of the many picks we have pi**ed away the past three years. Hey, it's Washington DC, can't we start impeachment proceedings against Snyder?

This is hilarious in that everyone league-wide has an opinion, well founded, of how adept we are at mortgaging this team into competitive irrelevance. The sad thing is we may pick Branch, who is exactly what we need, but if we had any inclination in facing our past sins, we would trade down the board to get back some of the many picks we have pi**ed away the past three years. Hey, it's Washington DC, can't we start impeachment proceedings against Snyder?

'Cause he's running the team he paid millions for the way he wants to run it?

It would be a good idea to trade down for a few reasons:

1. Branch could still be available depending on the draft order and team needs.

2. We need about 5 impact players on defense...which is really, really sad to think we could build that through one year's draft.

Other than that, we need to take the best player at our spot and forget about trading down. If Golston is going to be startable but not great, we need to draft Branch. Griffen is good, but we need an impact D lineman. We made up for it the last few years because of the Arrington/Washington combo, but with him gone and Warrick 'fire-hydrant' Holdman taking his position, we're screwed. The only thing I could think of is putting 10-20 pounds on Archuleta and have him start as LB. It'd be better than having Holdman there.

quit glossing over the obvious -> Snyder hasn't fixed anything since assuming leadership of this franchise. but he has presided over the emergence of the Skins as a league joke. ACCOUNTABILITY......doesn't matter if you're poor, middle calss or rich...you are still gonna be judged by what you achieve.

I respect Dan Snyder in that he has tried to solve problems by throwing money at it, but much like other things......throwing money at a problem doesn't solve it.

He hasn't accomplished anything-- it almost feels like last year was a fluke.

I was hoping that after the 2005 season that we would learn that you spend minimal in FA (depth and/or 1 key position) and build teams by resigning vets that have been here and drafting. The FO hasn't learned.

And after prices get hiked, we're in for another sad season.

The Redskins (and Mr. Snyder) know how to make $$$ and they are excellent at doing that, but to run a football team they haven't done such a great job.

pack sand. by all accounts....Snyder is a manifest failure as a football franchise owner. Build a winner???? where have you had your head buried all these years?

ACCOUNTABILITY......doesn't matter if you're poor, middle calss or rich...you are still gonna be judged by what you achieve.

I think he's achieved alot. The Redskin's net more than any other sports franchise in the world and he's tripled their net since being there and doubled the teams net worth. He's doing his share; however, the players and coaches have let him down. For fifty years old you do not think very well! Is he supposed to go out and play their positions every Sunday?

Your last sentence discusses being judged by your achievements. He's a businessman who's doubled the value and tripled the net income. Now how do you judge him?

I think he's achieved alot. The Redskin's net more than any other sports franchise in the world and he's tripled their net since being there and doubled the teams net worth. He's doing his share; however, the players and coaches have let him down. For fifty years old you do not think very well! Is he supposed to go out and play their positions every Sunday?

Your last sentence discusses being judged by your achievements. He's a businessman who's doubled the value and tripled the net income. Now how do you judge him?

:applause: Thank you. I'm so sick of people dumping on Snyder. He is giving more support to this team than any other owner in the league. Many teams and their fans would kill to have an owner like Snyder.

The fact is that Snyder has done his part and has put forth more than his fair share of effort. He gets blasted for the coaching carosel he's had and for the players that have been brought in under his ownership. The truth is, Snyder is brae enough to take chances. Unfortunately, many of those have not panned out, but not all is his fault. Players and coaches that have gone through here have not lived up to their end of the bargain. Even Gibbs admits that the buck stops with him, not Snyder.

:applause: Thank you. I'm so sick of people dumping on Snyder. He is giving more support to this team than any other owner in the league. Many teams and their fans would kill to have an owner like Snyder.

The fact is that Snyder has done his part and has put forth more than his fair share of effort. He gets blasted for the coaching carosel he's had and for the players that have been brought in under his ownership. The truth is, Snyder is brae enough to take chances. Unfortunately, many of those have not panned out, but not all is his fault. Players and coaches that have gone through here have not lived up to their end of the bargain. Even Gibbs admits that the buck stops with him, not Snyder.

I agree. Snyder was blasted for bringing in high priced talent because he was the one who wanted Deion, George, etc. Now that he takes a step back and brings in the high priced coaches and players the coaches want he is balsted for doing what he can from an owners perspective. Paying for talent when the ones under him say there is talent. I disagree with alot of what he does as a person, or even what he has done to the stadium, but you cannot place blame with Synder for the people not producing. The only thing you could possibly blame him for is for not saying, "Sorry Joe, I'm not spending any more money. I brought you here to do a job. You have the pieces you asked for. Now produce." :2cents:

I agree with you. I don't see why we would bag Golston right away while he is making significant progress next to Griffin. This is all presuming that Alan Branch will even try to enter the draft early (he's a junior). I just think it's a bad decision to chose someone at DT when we have depth there and a rookie who is making large improvements game in and game out. That, to me, would be a wasted draft pick, but who knows?

I feel like CB is a position that would best be addressed in free agency (Clements, Saumels) and would be handled well by a younger vet, but we definately need to address that position... Wright sucks, Springs is hurt way too often.

Depending upon who is available and it looks that Adams won't be available and Branch may not enter the draft I think our best bet in the draft would be LaRon Landry. He plays like an animal (at the college level so far) and has made a name for himself every season with LSU, while being a leader as well. We all know our secondary stinks, and whats better than a nasty safety to help take the load off of ST's shoulder and roam the field damging receivers.

Golston is coming along but he isn't an impact player. Griff is often not healthy. Branch is a monster and I think he is going to be the real deal in the NFL. He is the kind of guy who is going to command double teams and will give us a huge push in the middle. If he is double teamed that leaves Carter in almost constant 1 on 1 situations not to mention the rest of the line. Gaines Adams is a possibility at DE but I am a bit worried about his run stopping capabilities. However, if he puts on another 10-17 lbs that should help...so he would be a good pickup as well, though I'm a bit less sure of him than Branch. But if neither are there, sure I think Landry would be a good pickup or perhaps Patrick Willis at MLB.

All of you dumping on Snyder have no clue how Washington Redskins FOOTBALL decisions have been made over the past 6-8 years. JOE FRIGGIN GIBBS has been making the football decisions for the past 3 years and before that it was Spurrier and before that it was Shottenheimer. Those three coaches were given cart blanche to choose the players they wanted and needed to make a winning football team. All Snyder did was agree to spend his money to bring those players in.

If you want to complain, complain about Joe, Steve and Marty. Snyder has not had any input on choosing players since his first two or three years when he got burned trying to play GM.

Certainly, Vinnie and the scouting staff are at fault, too.....but Gibbs is the one who has made the decisions on who to keep, who to draft and who to sign in free agency. Remember, Gibbs is the one who has said repeatedly that he loves free agency to get the players he needs.

IF Snyder has a fault, it was he relied on Marty, Steve and Joe to know how to pick quality football players....seems like all three failed pretty miserably so far.......

Archived