Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sportstalk 980: Samuels offers to restructure

bpoch

For all the talk that Lavar did about loving this team...would retire a Redskin...blah blah blah....Samuels is walking the walk. He's restructured a few times to help us out. Gotta love him.

Right...because there is absolutely no benefit for Samuels in this.

What Samuels does every year is convert money on the back-end of his deal into bonuses, which can then be pro-rated over the life of the contract. He's made a fortune off of these re-structures.

Right...because there is absolutely no benefit for Samuels in this.

What Samuels does every year is convert money on the back-end of his deal into bonuses' date=' which can then be pro-rated over the life of the contract. He's made a fortune off of these re-structures.[/quote']

I know how it works, thanks...it's just that so many are not willing to do it. Contractual talks, restructuring, going back and forth with your agent are all a pain in the ass and takes place during your OFF-season. Many don't want to be bothered with it. Samuels doesn't mind...and recongnizes that IT NEEDS TO BE DONE.

Hell yea! Most teams build around specific players...the skins need to build around that line. I could only imagine them in a year or two when they're REALLY clicking(as if they aren't already, lol)

Samuels = 29

Dockery = 26

Thomas = 30

Jansen = 30

Most O-lineman can play until they're 33-35(especially when playing as well as they are). Jansen may not make it much longer, but I thought Wade played excellent in his absence against NO.

I know how it works, thanks...it's just that so many are not willing to do it. Contractual talks, restructuring, going back and forth with your agent are all a pain in the ass and takes place during your OFF-season. Many don't want to be bothered with it. Samuels doesn't mind...and recongnizes that IT NEEDS TO BE DONE.

Yea...it's a pain to have millions of dollars given to you every off-season. He's a real solider.

"Has this team even mentioned restructuring Dockery's contract? What are they waiting for? I will be so pissed if they screw Dock, he has been as good as any Redskin lately"

fingers are crossed that we don't fall on our face like we did with pierce. this is another case of us actually having success in the mid/later rounds of the draft or ufa, developing the talent that was discovered and now it's time to sign up long term. it's not rocket science...build via the draft, reward your own players first, then...if needed, fill holes via fa.

Yea...it's a pain to have millions of dollars given to you every off-season. He's a real solider.

You're funny dude... Someone is doing something to help the team out and you just see the greed in it. I can come to grips that football players are always going to make more money that I am...you need to start realizing it. Then, maybe you'll see that he's trying to help.

Samuels was going to get his money one way or another. At least this way we can keep another player around that many on this board believe we NEED to re-sign.

But yeah, millionaires are *******s. **** them...Restructuring just to re-sign another millionaire...what a dick CS is! :rolleyes:

"This is hysterical. Samuels has restructured every year that he has been here.

He has to have been given $50 million in bonuses by now."

exactly. his army of agents, financial advisors, etc., ensure he makes out. He has a responsibility to his family that outweighs the Skins. This is all about the business and moving funny money around.

"This is hysterical. Samuels has restructured every year that he has been here.

He has to have been given $50 million in bonuses by now."

exactly. his army of agents, financial advisors, etc., ensure he makes out. He has a responsibility to his family that outweighs the Skins. This is all about the business and moving funny money around.

If it's so beneficial, why do so many athletes decline to restructure?

I applaud Samules for coming forward and offering to get this done. I think Dock has been great this year and if this O-line can blow holes open for Portis like they do Betts it's going to be a very tough offense to stop.

It depends on the nature of the restructure Riggo44. Were Samuels actually giving back $$$ the comments about his taking one for the team would have merit. However, what's most likely is that, as others have said, he's simply offered to convert salary to SB or make it guarranteed which allows us to prorate that $$$ over the life of his contract. This is so beneficial to the player that owners are allowed to do this without the player's permission. Therefore, for all we know, this press release could simply be the F.O.'s way to create more salary cap room without making it look like they're scrambling for space.

All Samuels has to do is say nothing and smile all the way to the bank. Whether he really offered to do this or not, it's a win-win for all involved, so who really cares anyway.:whoknows:

If it's so beneficial, why do so many athletes decline to restructure?

I applaud Samules for coming forward and offering to get this done. I think Dock has been great this year and if this O-line can blow holes open for Portis like they do Betts it's going to be a very tough offense to stop.

Those may not be actual restructures, but cuts in salary.

You guys are some pessimistic asses. Just because it benefits him, doesn't mean he's not trying to help. People always get this assumption that anyone who has money, only does anything solely for the money. It helps Samuels, yes, but it also helps the team. And it's a noble gesture for him to openly agree so restructuring (something that a lot of players would rather not do), just so that we can free up some money to sign one of our own homegrown talents. I'm sure some of the same people in this thread that are complaining, were the same one's complaining last year when Brunell declined to restructure.

The skins have some tough choices in the off-season. Some players need to be cut and/or massive restructure/reduction of their contract including Brunell and Wynn. Since Samuels will probably play out his contract it really doesn't matter if he gets his money now or in the future. Let's just hope he stays healthy. I just don't like the constant restructuring from a business standpoint.

Archived