Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Springs to Saftey?

sugewhite94

We don't need a great hitter at the other corner, but he is physical enough to play that position and would immensely improve our coverage. I wasn't a proponent of getting Clements BUT if we did have a lineup up Nate and Rogers and corner with Taylor and Springs at safety i think we would be very solid.

This would also allow us to move Sean closer to the line as a strong safety. I don't know if the switch would necessrily occur next year, but it would be a natural transition for Springs who is not a bad tackler and is good in coverage. He had 6 sacks in 2004 so he has to have some physicallity to him.....

Troy Vincent and Rod Woodson were known for their hitting and physicality. Springs has just been known as a cover guy. If this were too happen I could see alot of long running plays towards his side.

I dunno about that. Woodson maybe, but I wouldnt say Vincent was/is any more physical than Shawn is. Shawn is a pretty solid wrap-up tackler, thats what Gregg likes about him. But he would probably have to play the FS position, which would mean shifting Taylor to more of a SS role, making him less of a ballhawk. The best idea is probably to keep Taylor and Fox at safety if Fox can handle it, and sign another CB to take some pressure off of Springs and Rogers. Have the incumbents duke it out with the new guy for the starting job, and hopefully also have a solid nickelback. Wright is no more than a dime back, if he's stays around. Jimoh is pretty decent in that role as well.

You guys are way overthinking this. Safety isn't the only position that Springs can play. No way. The answer lies right in front of your eyes. Where do redskins defensive backs go when they are no longer wanted as defensive backs? Yep, you guessed it: Personal Punt Protector.

No, Springs is being moved to DE.

I dunno about that. Woodson maybe, but I wouldnt say Vincent was/is any more physical than Shawn is. Shawn is a pretty solid wrap-up tackler, thats what Gregg likes about him. But he would probably have to play the FS position, which would mean shifting Taylor to more of a SS role, making him less of a ballhawk. The best idea is probably to keep Taylor and Fox at safety if Fox can handle it, and sign another CB to take some pressure off of Springs and Rogers. Have the incumbents duke it out with the new guy for the starting job, and hopefully also have a solid nickelback. Wright is no more than a dime back, if he's stays around. Jimoh is pretty decent in that role as well.

Ed Reed did quite fine in previous seasons in the SS role. Ballhawking skills are ballhawking skills.

Only reason to keep Springs would be if he takes a huge pay cut.

I think he would make a pretty good safety, but that's not my issue with Springs. The guy just can't get healthy. Some players just hit a certain age and they never get fit again. The shoulder break wasn't due to age, but the soft tissue injuries he had been having prior, are. If he can get fit, i absolutely want him at safety, corner, where ever. I'm just not convinced he will ever be fit on a regular basis again.

I think he would make a pretty good safety, but that's not my issue with Springs. The guy just can't get healthy. Some players just hit a certain age and they never get fit again. The shoulder break wasn't due to age, but the soft tissue injuries he had been having prior, are. If he can get fit, i absolutely want him at safety, corner, where ever. I'm just not convinced he will ever be fit on a regular basis again.

Injuries are obvioulsy a factor but this team needs continuity and keeping Springs around would add to that. I mena just look at performance, this team plays immensely better when Springs is on the field.

PLus the move doesn't have to happen next season, he could play corner and Rogers might have to re-establish himself for a season. There are a lot of possibilities. The key for the Skins is to build depth and have continuity while onmy making tweaks to the roster. Obviously everyone on the board recognizes we're weak at DE, MLB, and Corner. If we could address these areas while keeping as many people around as possible, then we'll have a chance at success.....

You guys are CRAZY. Notice how badly the D plays without Springs? How good they play with him? Also, he works well with Taylor.....all Taylor needs is to have yet another DB cut ala Ryan Clark. Springs is great in my book and he has really only been hurt this season. The organization decided for him to have the surgery before the season began...he could have played.

Ed Reed did quite fine in previous seasons in the SS role. Ballhawking skills are ballhawking skills.

Only reason to keep Springs would be if he takes a huge pay cut.

Thats true, but Ed Reed is the best in the NFL at that and its not even close.

And I dont think cutting Springs is really an option. We cant be too picky with our cover guys at this point. Besides Springs and sometimes Taylor, coverage doesnt seem to be the strong suit of anyone on this team.

Exactly. That's why Seattle got rid of Springs in the first place--he can't stay healthy. He's what? 32? I don't know if Gibbs is considering that Springs may not want to take a pay cut. However, if we can, I would like him to stick around. He's one of the defense's leaders. I just doubt that will happen.

I had a feeling when we picked up Springs a few years ago that he would eventually move to one of the safefy positions because he was getting up there in age but still has the know how and ability to contribute to the D when his speed starts to deminish.

A lot of people including myself have said for a while that Springs should be converted to a safety when he is older much like Vincent was...it seems like that will happen and we will be bringing in Nate Clements. I hope that outside of drafting a DE that is all we tinker with on our defense. Make them practice harder in the offseason and we should be good to go.

Archived