Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Springs to Saftey?

sugewhite94

Nate Clements/Asante Samuel at one corner, carlos at the other, sean taylor and springs as safeties would an interesting secondary. Add Gaines Adams and a middle linebacker and we got a defense. Have a real off-season complete with weight training, stretching, film study, a physical training camp that starts the second the NFL will allow it and heck, we might be able to compete in this joke of a conference!!! It is KILLING me that we are THIS bad in THIS conference. Uuuuugghh. I want to puke. :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

:dallasuck Uh...Springs a saftey??? I think we should let that go to someone who can lay some wood without a limb falling off. He does us no good if he can't play 16 games at corner... he'd be a smudge on the grass after a couple of quarters at saftey. Really though, if anyone should think about the switch to saftey it's Carlos Rodgers, he's built like Clinton portis, and he's always one step behind his receiver... He can't play tight coverage... But he can hit okay.

Injuries are obvioulsy a factor but this team needs continuity and keeping Springs around would add to that. I mena just look at performance, this team plays immensely better when Springs is on the field.

PLus the move doesn't have to happen next season, he could play corner and Rogers might have to re-establish himself for a season. There are a lot of possibilities. The key for the Skins is to build depth and have continuity while onmy making tweaks to the roster. Obviously everyone on the board recognizes we're weak at DE, MLB, and Corner. If we could address these areas while keeping as many people around as possible, then we'll have a chance at success.....

What i highlighted in red i agree with, my problem with Springs and that sentence is 'when'.

There is no greater advocate for continuity and chemistry for this team than myself. I absolutely agree that we must keep these players around for them to be able to work as a unit and not a pack of individuals (you just know there is a 'but' coming here don't ya :D), but we must recognise when a part of that unit is just...well, finished. I'm not sure if he is done, i certainly hope he's not.

If Springs is to stay on next year, he cannot be an integral part of this team, (IE- he can't start). I love the idea of him being a starting safety or corner because he absoluty still has the talent, he's just way to unreliable. When talking about continuity, reliability is a major part of that. Continuity needs to be established with team from week to week, not just year to year.

I still don't understand why everyone wants to do this.

When Springs can get on the field, he is a top-tier corner.

When he can't get on the field, he can't get on the field.

If he is healthy and playing safety next year, all you have done is weaken two positions.

If he is not healthy, he ain't going to be playing safety either.

I still don't understand why everyone wants to do this.

When Springs can get on the field' date=' he is a top-tier corner.

When he can't get on the field, he can't get on the field.

If he is healthy and playing safety next year, all you have done is weaken two positions.

If he is not healthy, he ain't going to be playing safety either.[/quote']

at saftey he wont be burning down the sidelines as much, and he probably wouldnt play every down to ensure he stays fresh, hence not being injured. thsi season his injuries were bigger than usual, hes not gonna have abdominale surgery every year, that was a total fluke, although his shoulder worries me now even though it doesnt seem to be anything too serious.

Springs is our best CB and if healthy the Skins should restructure his deal and continue playing him at CB and bring in another stud CB. Put Rogers at the nickel until he learns to play man to man from the LOS instead of with a ten yard cushion past the first down marker.

Springs is our best CB and if healthy the Skins should restructure his deal and continue playing him at CB and bring in another stud CB. Put Rogers at the nickel until he learns to play man to man from the LOS instead of with a ten yard cushion past the first down marker.

rogers is nowhere near as bad as people think. think of how many dropped interceptions hes had? hes usually right in guys faces, he just cant hold on to the ball. it sickens me to think how many games would be drastically different if mr rogers just held on to the friggin football. and that playing with a 10 yard cushion think is williams idea, not rogers. he runs the plays called, and williams likes that cushion obviously.

Springs at safety would be a very intriguing notion. The cap on the defensive side though seems to be a big issue as we've all heard about from Springs' class. But, if we were able to keep all of them first (Griffin and Washington), then I think we give serious consideration to keep Springs on for a restructured salary, at least for one year, and then see how he performs. Though I'm assuming that won't happen, because it might be cheaper to cut him now than to restructure, and then cut him next year...

In the Pres Conf. Gibbs said Springs is in future plans for the Skins and can play MANY positions???

Do you think we sign a Corner and move Springs to Saftey ? :gaintsuck :gaintsuck

I think it would be a smart move...

Shawn should make for an excellent FS if he can stay healthy. Having a guy back there with excellent coverage skills as Shawn has while being alllowed to spy and play the ball is a win-win scenario IMO...

Rogers CB

Asante or Nate CB

Springs FS

Taylor SS

Sounds good to me...

it's like every offseason, we go through this trial and error stage where we're not sure what's broke or how to fix it. i'm all for ss as a safety if that conclusion has been reached logically and with a precise plan in place. we can not continue to throw money at our problems and expect them to magically disappear...which moving ss to safety will cause us to do unless we plan on drafting a cb with one of our high picks. imho, the last thing we need to do is bring in more high-priced talent via fa...so, who's willing to start carlos rogers alongside a rookie cb?

I think it would be a smart move...

Shawn should make for an excellent FS if he can stay healthy. Having a guy back there with excellent coverage skills as Shawn has while being alllowed to spy and play the ball is a win-win scenario IMO...

Rogers CB

Asante or Nate CB

Springs FS

Taylor SS

Sounds good to me...

that looks awesome to me.

Gives us great cover IF any injuries come at the right time for us. For us to be in the same CB position as we have been exploited by this year we would need Springs and a starter CB injured at the same time which is hopefully not something that would happen.

We could lose a CB for every game and still have good cover... I like it.

Plus Springs can rotate with Fox (maybe even with Rogers and put him in at FS on running downs?) and play NB.

EDIT: When I say we could lose a CB I mean one of our two starters or Springs - because this move should it happen would mean we have viable depth for the CB role. Fox/PP are the Safety depth for Springs once again bringing viable depth.

We just need a good CB via FA, a decent LB from the same source and Branch and no one will find it easy to pass on us next season due improved coverage allied with better penetration from our line. Branch also blocks the run through the middle we have been weak at. Put all this together with an O that is scoring points already and will be better next year when JC has better timing with the WR corp and Portis is making big gains = SB baby ;)

See how easy this is?

I got an idea. Lets take a Crystal Vase (Springs) with a history of being brittle and put him in a position that is the equivalent of a Cement Truck.

Lord knows Springs didnt see the field a lot at the least contacted on defense position of corner, I look forward to him being even more unhealthy at Safety

YAY!

You really want bubble boy playing safety? He should retire. He can't make it through a full season. In his 10 years in the NFL he has played 132 out of 160 possible games. That is 28 games lost due to injury. In about 10-15 of those games he either left early or was playing part time due to injury. So roughly 35-40 games he has missed. That is injury prone and it isn't going to get better. Shawn Springs could have been a hall of fame type corner but injuries hurt him. I like the guy, but he doesn't fit in the Redskins future.

seriously, springs would have been healthy this year if it werent for his abdominale surgery, and how often is that gonna happen? other than that he missed like 2 games, and i honestly think he was benched for that one game cause he was probably the one who said all the negative stuff about the secondary. funny how hes healthy all week and then its game time and hes suddenly got a hammy problem, yet hes fine next week. haha

Springs is the guy who was reportedly going around the locker room saying goodby to his teammates a couple of weeks ago. I also believe it was Springs who said he might consider becoming a safety to prolong his career.

Now Gibbs comes up and says he might be able to move to another position.

The obvious conclusion is Gibbs is saying to Springs he will do what it takes to keep him on the team at some position even though Springs has been openly critical of the teams defense. (maybe even the anonymous player). It may be Gibbs telling him he is not going to get rid of him for being the leak and all is forgiven. Just a thought.

Archived