Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Happened To Santana Moss?

BraunMan

49 receptions for 687 yards and 5 TDs?

49 receptions for 687 yards?!?!

Yes I know he missed a game...but this kind of production from a number 1 WR is pathetic.

Was last year a fluke? I know he gets double covered but that doesn't stop guys like Steve Smith and TO from producing.

Reggie Bush has more receptions and yards then Moss.

Reggie Bush has more receptions and yards then Moss!!!!!

This really pisses me off.

Westbrook has more receptions then Moss, and only about 40 less yards.

When there are RBs who have more yards and receptions then your number 1 WR, something is seriously wrong.

Bro....put on a flame suit....

summed up, Moss hasn't been heathy for a lot of the season...bad hammy amongst other things....btw, some of your comparisons are horrible...and LOL @ you calling last year a fluke...

Dude, 3 of his 5 TDs game in one game against Jacksonville. Other then that game, he hasn't acted like a number 1 WR this year.

You never saw Art Monk or Gary Clark show this kind of inconsistency.

What happened? The lack of production from the QB position has happened. It is pretty obvious that Brunell never really felt comfortable with the new offense, and Campbell is having the growing pains that a young QB is having and his having a hard time getting the WRs the ball.

Looking at his performance, Moss is getting his yards despite the QB play. If it weren't for his abilities, his stat line would look more like Lloyd's.

I'd look for better things next year.

Jason

It's been a rough year for this team as a whole. I hope they come out firing on all cylinders next year so that they prove it was the 2006 season that was a fluke, not the 2005 one.

I hope so too...the way the Eagles are charging right now after being 5-6...reminds me of the way the Redskins were last year with the sweeping of the NFC East rivals down the stretch. Its painful to see.

dude we r getting santana moss he is puttin up his normal numbers dat he usaully produces like wit da jets he should b a second wr like he was yea he had dat one good year but maybe we kidded ourselves

The funny thing is we were talking about how we stole Moss from the Jets last year and got rid of Coles.

But Coles has 87 receptions for 1065 yards this year (before the Dolphins game).

Maybe the Jets are the ones laughing this year.

I still do think we needed to get rid of Coles though, he was becoming a negative locker room presence.

Moss had 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns in the year after Coles left NY before his trade to Washington. So, the year he had in 2005 was NOT a fluke :)

Moss and Portis were both injured in 2006 and I don't think the team went into the year with a sound strategy for getting the most out of the available talent.

In other words the lack of production to me was at least in part a COACHING problem.

It was also a PERSONNEL problem as Mark Brunell in camp and the preseason showed his skills had declined even further from 2004-2005.

That made the job of the receivers and Portis that much harder as other teams on film saw the same things.

Isn't it ironic that with a guy with a strong arm behind center to air it out that the ground game is all of a sudden VERY effective? :laugh:

The funny thing is we were talking about how we stole Moss from the Jets last year and got rid of Coles.

But Coles has 87 receptions for 1065 yards this year (before the Dolphins game).

Maybe the Jets are the ones laughing this year.

I still do think we needed to get rid of Coles though, he was becoming a negative locker room presence.

Mr. Snyder? Is that you??? I thought you learned from the whole Schottenheimer incident. :doh:

actually, Snyder was right and Schottenheimer was wrong in this case :laugh:

Snyder wanted to draft Santana Moss in 2001 while Schotty decided to draft Rod Gardner instead.

Now in retrospect, which pick seems the better one? :)

Rod Gardner is now a marginal NFL player, a #4 wide receiver in KC, while Moss is a #1 WR here and coming off a pro bowl year in 2005.

u wanna know y?

CLINTON PORTIS

people are droping back and covering moss

with portis in they had to stack up the box which left moss one on one with safety help on the top

now teams have a safety, CB and MLB shadowing the middle on moss

Moss had 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns in the year after Coles left NY before his trade to Washington. So, the year he had in 2005 was NOT a fluke :)

Moss and Portis were both injured in 2006 and I don't think the team went into the year with a sound strategy for getting the most out of the available talent.

In other words the lack of production to me was at least in part a COACHING problem.

It was also a PERSONNEL problem as Mark Brunell in camp and the preseason showed his skills had declined even further from 2004-2005.

That made the job of the receivers and Portis that much harder as other teams on film saw the same things.

Isn't it ironic that with a guy with a strong arm behind center to air it out that the ground game is all of a sudden VERY effective? :laugh:

I can see your point...when we had a successful passing attack under Gibbs...there would be plays where our number 1 would be a decoy designed to draw coverage from number 2 or number 3.

We made use of guys like Clint Didier and Terry Orr in the downfield passing game.

Haven't seen much spreading of the ball among the WR and TE corps this year.

some of the folks on this thread break me up. last year Portis and Moss set long-standing team records for yardage and overall production and were hailed as heroes.

now, they are vilified becuase of a dysfunctional year where there were injuries, the quarterback was replaced, and the coaching staff seemed to be fighting each other as to what kind of offense to run :mad:

Ignorance is bliss and we have alot of blissful young fans.

A shame alot of you cant hear Doc Walkers position by position critique this morning.

The team placed their season completely in Brunell even when he was hurt Brunell or collins got the work while theyignored Campbell. The offensive philosophy aka playcalling from last year isnt taking advantage of our skill players strengths.

Players like steve smith have the advantage of continuity in the offense so the comparison doesnt make sense.

Campbell wasnt part of the OTAs the QB coaches didnt prep him or worked on his mechanics. The way doc is talking about how Campbell floats back on his throws instead ofstepping into them as well as how he does wait to throw the ball are things that can be addressed.

The team placed their season completely in Brunell even when he was hurt Brunell or collins got the work while theyignored Campbell. The offensive philosophy aka playcalling from last year isnt taking advantage of our skill players strengths.

Well, considering that the team thought that they had a superbowl run on their hands, and Brunell needed to get up to speed on the offense, it only made sense that he did get all the work. So, yes, the whole season was on Brunell's sholders and it wasn't likely that Campbell was going to be the guy this year because of that.

To give more time to Campbell would have been one of those half-assed moves that would have muddied things up even further. Course, things didn't end up working with Brunell anyways, so maybe it was a bad move to sell out for the playoffs, but I can't fault the move.

Jason

Wow, no player is safe from overreaction on this board!

Moss plays a very dependent position. WR's struggles have a lot to do with QB struggles....at best we have had slightly below average QB play this year-hence the drop in everyone's #'s across the board.

This is normal. And it is ok, I mean for Moss it's ok....we need the QB to come around....but Moss is still very good.

This seems to be Santana's pattern. One down year, one good year, one down year, one good year, one down year...hopefully next year is the good year.

Receiving

Year Team G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ 1st

2001 New York Jets 5 0 2 40 20.0 33 0 1 0 2

2002 New York Jets 15 3 30 433 14.4 47 4 8 1 20

2003 New York Jets 16 12 74 1105 14.9 65 10 17 5 49

2004 New York Jets 15 14 45 838 18.6 69 5 13 6 35

2005 Washington Redskins 16 16 84 1483 17.7 78 9 24 10 60

2006 Washington Redskins 13 13 49 687 14.0 68 5 10 3 31

Archived