Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andyman sighting!

Byebye

I understand there are a lot of ads are on Redskins.com. But the site was carefully designed to emphasize content. The usage of the words "non-stop bombardment" suggests that the team is ruining the user experience with banner ads. That's hardly the case.

Five of those ads you mentioned are sponsor logos at the very bottom of the home page. How are they intrusive to the user experience? Yes, the teams wants sponsors to have a presence on Redskins.com, but not at the expense of the user experience.

I think, for the most part, it's succeeded.

You mentioned the Ravens official site. No offense to the fine folks who run that site, but a more apt comparison would be the Dallas Cowboys' team site. Please go there and tell me how many banner ads, sponsorships and logos you can count on their home page.

I count more than 15...But again, I find it all non-intrusive. The Cowboys do a great job with their site, too.

Funny, I was just about to mention the cowboys website. Yes. they have a lot of ads.

Re: Redskins.com:

do you consider ads that consume 1/4 of the screen to be non-intrusive?

Can you honestly say you have no bias?

How about the non-stop ads during games? Again, I'm not saying he is wrong for marketing or adding sponsers, but it CLEARLY has an effect on the gameday experience.

It also has an effect on the use of the website. I don't watch the videos on redskins.com, but according to others who posted on this topic, there are ads there as well.

Whoever wrote the guest blog is just asking for a little less in advertisements.

I just happen to agree.

Blondie,

1. 25% off Ad

2.xxx radio

3.Redskins Digital Gameday

4.official autographed redskins merchandise

5. Lexus Ad

6.Remax

7. Fedex

8.Sprint

9.XM

10.Stubhub

11. Bestbuy

12. 2007 "Premium" Season tickets

yes..some are "related" to redskins. But it still a way of asking for your money or information for even MORE marketing.

Edit: apparently the nature of the ad's change when you refresh the page.

I don't see the REDSKINS related info as being "ads". FedEx? Come on now.....you are pushing the edge there. My lord.....they sponsor the FIELD!!

I guess I don't look at it the same way as others.......just doesn't occupy space in my mind as being bad.

Blondie

Take a look at Redskins.com. I counted 12 seperate Ads/sponserships.

Go to Baltimoreravens.com. I counted 4.

There is quite a difference there huh? It's not just the website either. It happens at the stadium. in between just about every play. Even the Funky Four is an ad for FedEx.

It's no secret how DS made his money. But come-on. Isn't it just a little too much? especially for what amounts to a captive audience at FedEx field.

You miss the point. The owner of the Ravens would probably love to have 12 sponsors on there. The goal is to make as much money from as many sponsors as possible without losing the fans. The reason we have 12 sponsors or whatever is because we have so many fans. Until you realize that the goal is to make money, you will just be frustrated, and wrong.

You miss the point. The owner of the Ravens would probably love to have 12 sponsors on there. The goal is to make as much money from as many sponsors as possible without losing the fans. The reason we have 12 sponsors or whatever is because we have so many fans. Until you realize that the goal is to make money, you will just be frustrated, and wrong.

Are you ready for this?

The Ravens website basically has an entire section devoted to their sponsers.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/promotions.jsp

what a novel idea.

personally, I think "WE" the fans give a lot to this team. Our hearts and our hard earned loot.

I guess when it seems like that loot is going towards players like Arch, and not towards improving the fan experience. Then I don't know. Its alittle disheartening. Having a green lot pass, but getting booted from the green lot because the stadium folks said those rows were actually "Orange" now? that's just not cool. Especially when the Orange is more than half empty.

That's the type of stuff that irks me. More than wars between the team and the local/national media.

But on the topics of Larry, Vinny, Reply Screens, etc. I 100% agree. The experience over the past few seasons has been getting less and less enjoyable to be honest.

On top of that. what bothers me is that after a loss, they might still try to sell a jersey of the player of the game at a discount. Do losses not bother them as much as they used to?

I know that the Coach appreciates the fans that come out when its cold and nasty to wish them well. But, I'm not so convinced anybody else in the F.O. does anymore.

Given the position of the ads on Redskins.com, no, I don't think they are intrusive.

I respect your views, but I disagree. :)

Yes, I am biased.

I am discussing the web site only, not ads/commercials during games, the front office, the bottom line, etc.

Funny, I was just about to mention the cowboys website. Yes. they have a lot of ads.

Re: Redskins.com:

do you consider ads that consume 1/4 of the screen to be non-intrusive?

Can you honestly say you have no bias?

How about the non-stop ads during games? Again, I'm not saying he is wrong for marketing or adding sponsers, but it CLEARLY has an effect on the gameday experience.

It also has an effect on the use of the website. I don't watch the videos on redskins.com, but according to others who posted on this topic, there are ads there as well.

Whoever wrote the guest blog is just asking for a little less in advertisements.

I just happen to agree.

I am discussing the web site only, not ads/commercials during games, the front office, the bottom line, etc.

I am arguing usage of the phrase "non-stop bombardment" of ads on the site. I respect your views, but I disagree with that notion.

Gary,

First thanks for posting on the site as a memeber of managment. Its nice to hear how you see things from time to time.

I understand you are trying to isolate the website in regards to how we feel about ads. Truth be told some may be overreacting to the ad level on the website. But from a season ticket holder point of view we have become so bombarded with ads during the gameday experience that we are maybe hypersensitive to ads elsewhere.

So some of the heat you feel coming at your website is just frustration with the "overall" Redskins experience. The gameday is the worst with all the adds. Also we cannot even have our team colors on the stadium due to sponsorship agreements. So don't be oversensitive when some of us bash the website, it's not just the website that is causing the frustration over excess commercialization.

I would hate the posting count be a criteria... As you can see by my posting count, I don't post as often or as many times as other people. Yet, all or most of my posts and threads have been of good nature... Maybe the member number?

Would it have something to do with the fact that you start a thread every 5 posts. I have 10x as many posts yet you have started 10x as many threads. I've started about 1 thread per 350 posts.

If there was a rule of 1 thread per 100 posts or 1 thread per week it would cut down on the majority of the idiocy. I think the reason changes aren't made a lot now is because the Redskins IT department has to make most of them and can't be bothered.

12?

I just looked at it again.

I didnt see 12.

Can you help me?

Blondie

Yeah there appears to be fewer but several things on the site flashing and changing text give the appearance that most of the page is ads. At least they don't force me to use a host file to remove screen blocking ads. Those things piss me off.

what's funny is that Norv and Spurrier complained that fans didn't know what they were saying about the team and yet both coaches ended up leaving the ranks of NFL head coaches without tasting success, here or elsewhere.

so, evidently we must know something...........

no matter how well you dress a chicken up and put lipstick on it, it is still a chicken :D

So are you saying that you can't polish a turd? or really it's the chicken with lipstick thing?

• 7 months later...
Oh, that's the same Andyman - he makes too much sense! Besides, he was "outed" in a different thread. Of course ES will try to conceal his identity, but several members figured out who he was before he was outed.

Hail,

H

Interpret this as trying to "conceal his indentity" if you will, but ... if you honestly think the person posting on JLC's blog as "andyman" is the same person who posts here, you either haven't read much of either's content and/or writing style, or you're simply out of your gourd. :)

Andyman hasn't said ANYTHING since about a week after I joined. No info on our draft pick, no trade info, no inside scoop on Smoot, Fletcher, Macklin, Butler, or anyone.

He's not Joe Gibbs, and therefore he's not immune to the "what you done for me lately?" line of questioning.

So ANDYMAN.....what HAVE you done for me lately?

You know, its kinda funny. I look as Redskins.com a lot - not as much as ES, but a lot. I just went over to take a peek and dang if the man isn't right, there's quite a few ads there.

I just never noticed them before. They do not detract from my experience in any significant way.

Likewise ads at the stadium during games. Who cares? There are some things I'd like to see changed about the game experience, sure. Would like to see other game scores more often, maybe a permanent display. News/highlights from games in progress, player bios/interviews, etc. would be great at halftime. Some additional info over the loudspeaker concerning players involved in the previous play - from the nosebleeds and from too close to ground-level its sometimes difficult to figure that out. Etc. But the ads - I barely notice them.

Andyman hasn't said ANYTHING since about a week after I joined. No info on our draft pick, no trade info, no inside scoop on Smoot, Fletcher, Macklin, Butler, or anyone.

He's not Joe Gibbs, and therefore he's not immune to the "what you done for me lately?" line of questioning.

Hmmm coincidence? :silly:

Hmmm coincidence? :silly:

I blame ThePreciating.......:security: :logo:

and TK, not that my opinion means squat. But I think the idea of needing a certain amount of posts before having the right to start threads, OR a limit to how many threads a poster can start in a day/week, should be seriously considered. It might actually force folks to use the search function more.

I agree. I've been a member for less than 2 years and have only been posting for about 1 3/4 years and I think I've only started less than 20 threads.

Aw crap. Just noticed it was an old thread that was bumped. Gets me every time.

Gotcha....dont worry...you werent the only one!;)

I didnt want to start a new thread, so this one had the appropriate title and I truly was wondering where Andyman had been.:logo:

Archived