Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King gives Skins Mad Love

macnoke03

Offensive Player of the Week

Mark Brunell, QB, Washington. What? But, you say, he didn't even play in the Redskins' upset of the Saints. Correct. "He did an incredible job for us last week, and he deserves some credit for this win,'' assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams said. "Even though he's left-handed, he played Drew Brees perfectly on our scout team all week, giving the defense a great look. He went to the spots on the field Brees would go to, and threw to the spots Brees would throw to.

While I'm sure this is genuine appreciation on the part of Gregg Williams, it's also indirectly a big shot at Jason Campbell. Before he was starting, Campbell ran the scout team.

Is a coincidence that the defense has played better since Campbell has been starting? Certainly there are a lot of factors at play.

If I read Gregg Williams correctly, the story he's taking to the bank is that Jason Campbell never properly drilled his pass defense all season long, and that's the reason the pass defense sucked. (That and Adam Archuleta, and an injury to Springs.)

It's a credible theory, if held by Williams. How the hell is the defense supposed to practice pass defense, when the QB on the scout team can't simulate a good NFL QB? In particular, the NFL QB they happen to be facing each week?

To be clear, I'm not saying JC can't be a good NFL QB, but I'm guessing that his inaccuracy, slow reads and slow learning combined to make him a particularly poor scout team QB. And that had to hurt the pass defense preparation.

A lot of factors were at work, certainly, in creating a terrible pass defense. But, I'm pretty sure Gregg Williams thinks this was a big factor, and he might be right.

While I'm sure this is genuine appreciation on the part of Gregg Williams, it's also indirectly a big shot at Jason Campbell. Before he was starting, Campbell ran the scout team.

Is a coincidence that the defense has played better since Campbell has been starting? Certainly there are a lot of factors at play.

If I read Gregg Williams correctly, the story he's taking to the bank is that Jason Campbell never properly drilled his pass defense all season long, and that's the reason the pass defense sucked. (That and Adam Archuleta, and an injury to Springs.)

It's a credible theory, if held by Williams. How the hell is the defense supposed to practice pass defense, when the QB on the scout team can't simulate a good NFL QB? In particular, the NFL QB they happen to be facing each week?

To be clear, I'm not saying JC can't be a good NFL QB, but I'm guessing that his inaccuracy, slow reads and slow learning combined to make him a particularly poor scout team QB. And that had to hurt the pass defense preparation.

A lot of factors were at work, certainly, in creating a terrible pass defense. But, I'm pretty sure Gregg Williams thinks this was a big factor, and he might be right.

I think this is a major reach. GW has been effusive in his praise of Campbell in the past and he specifically cited how good he was running the scout team. Sometimes a compliment is just a compliment and not a shot at another player.

I think this is a major reach. GW has been effusive in his praise of Campbell in the past and he specifically cited how good he was running the scout team. Sometimes a compliment is just a compliment and not a shot at another player.

Fair enough. I hadn't heard his praise of JC running the scout team, but I'll take your word. Thanks for that insight.

:cheers:

What about this part

1. San Diego (12-2). The Chargers are a wonderful team, the class of the NFL with two games to play, and I'd say this is the best team Marty Schottenheimer has had this late in any of his 21 seasons as a head coach. And you know what he told me the other day when I asked him about being sixth on the all-time victory list (203 wins in 21 years), just six behind Chuck Noll (209 wins in 23 years)? "I still think my best coaching job was in Washington [2001], going 8-8,'' he said. Me, too. Imagine if Dan Snyder had stuck with Schottenheimer instead of getting seduced by Steve Spurrier.

Actually - that is only one of the interesting parts of that article.

I would agree with Marty's statement, King's closing sentence is a cheap shot because it's in hindsight but I remember how at the end of that season nobody wanted to play us. Davis was chewing up yards on the ground and LaVar was maiming people on defense while Bailey and Smoot were each making plays and getting INT's.

If Marty and Snyder met each other half way we probably wouldn't have struggled as we did under Spurrier. But that's on both men, and it's over. I still agree that it was a heckuva coaching job that year.

So true. I wish Schottenheimer had stayed on. Spurrier was a joke.

That's what I was thinking when I heard about it on the radio this morning. It's good that Brunell has stepped back so gracefully and that he's helped the team in his backup role, but it would've been great to see it when he was a starter....

Maybe it's because he was beat up and worn down, but after a couple weeks of rest from real game action, he is more refreshed. Which BTW is perfect for a veteran back-up QB......kinda like Garcia up in Philly, who is also 36....

Not to call you out but I wouldnt say its a major reach. He did say there are obviously many other factors involved so I would agree that its very possible that Brunell running the scouting team may have something to do with the somewhat instant success of our defense.

As far as GW praising Campbell in the past on the scout team, can you provide a quote/link?

I have to be honest. I was hoping that Campbell would be a bit sharper at this point in the season. While he's done a good job of managing the game, not turning the ball over, etc., his accuracy seems to be an issue of real concern. It seems like we're protecting him pretty well, he has time to throw the ball with little pressure and he looks comfortable in the pocket, he just misses a lot of throws.

The things that I thought he may struggle with he's done pretty well. Its the things that I thought he'd do well at from the start that he seems to be struggling with. Hopefully he'll improve by next year.

Imagine if Dan Snyder had stuck with Schottenheimer instead of getting seduced by Steve Spurrier.

If Marty had stayed on here, the Skins would have gone 12-20 over their next two seasons, made the playoffs once in over the last four years and would have not even won a playoff game in that time. Because that's Marty's resume in San Diego.

If that happened here we'd have been calling for Marty's head on a burning stick two years ago...you think Brunell got it bad, it would have been nothing compared to how we would have treated Marty had that been his results here.

Not to call you out but I wouldnt say its a major reach. He did say there are obviously many other factors involved so I would agree that its very possible that Brunell running the scouting team may have something to do with the somewhat instant success of our defense.

As far as GW praising Campbell in the past on the scout team, can you provide a quote/link?

I have to be honest. I was hoping that Campbell would be a bit sharper at this point in the season. While he's done a good job of managing the game, not turning the ball over, etc., his accuracy seems to be an issue of real concern. It seems like we're protecting him pretty well, he has time to throw the ball with little pressure and he looks comfortable in the pocket, he just misses a lot of throws.

The things that I thought he may struggle with he's done pretty well. Its the things that I thought he'd do well at from the start that he seems to be struggling with. Hopefully he'll improve by next year.

Uh, I don't think I've seen a further reach outside of this kid in one of my classes telling me that 9/11 was caused by Spurrier to make DC look like it was in need of a hero.

Williams praises veterans. He never praises rookies. Campbell is, for all intents and purposes, a rookie. Instant success? You mean like our defense against the Panthers? That sure lasted a long time. There's a major concept in the NFL, it's called "Any given Sunday." Research it along with those other far-fetched Redskins theories you may be having. :silly:

No thanks. I'll keep hatin' on that fat **** 'til he not only votes for Monk but sways the other voters in the room to as well.

Seriously. King has been an ass forever, and now he's said one realistic thing about the Redskins and is going to apparently vote for Monk, so he's fine now? Man, Redskins fans really don't have any sort of memory.

Archived