Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King gives Skins Mad Love

macnoke03

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/17/week15/index.html

Not sure about this first one though:

The Award Section

Offensive Player of the Week

Mark Brunell, QB, Washington. What? But, you say, he didn't even play in the Redskins' upset of the Saints. Correct. "He did an incredible job for us last week, and he deserves some credit for this win,'' assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams said. "Even though he's left-handed, he played Drew Brees perfectly on our scout team all week, giving the defense a great look. He went to the spots on the field Brees would go to, and threw to the spots Brees would throw to.

Coach of the Week

Gregg Williams, assistant head coach/defense, Washington. Williams orchestrated a great defensive gameplan to shock the Saints. His plan: never let Brees get comfortable, make sure Reggie Bush doesn't have any lanes to motor forward in the screen game, and beat the crap out of the Saints' receivers. Washington 16, New Orleans 10. Mission accomplished.

f. You know what I liked about the Redskins in the win at New Orleans? Everything

h. Ladell Betts, we have to give you the MVRP (Most Valuable Relief Pitcher). What a closer you've been in place of Clinton Portis, with four straight 100-yard games.

Actually - that is only one of the interesting parts of that article.

San Diego (12-2). The Chargers are a wonderful team, the class of the NFL with two games to play, and I'd say this is the best team Marty Schottenheimer has had this late in any of his 21 seasons as a head coach. And you know what he told me the other day when I asked him about being sixth on the all-time victory list (203 wins in 21 years), just six behind Chuck Noll (209 wins in 23 years)? "I still think my best coaching job was in Washington [2001], going 8-8,'' he said. Me, too. Imagine if Dan Snyder had stuck with Schottenheimer instead of getting seduced by Steve Spurrier.

I would agree with Marty's statement, King's closing sentence is a cheap shot because it's in hindsight but I remember how at the end of that season nobody wanted to play us. Davis was chewing up yards on the ground and LaVar was maiming people on defense while Bailey and Smoot were each making plays and getting INT's.

If Marty and Snyder met each other half way we probably wouldn't have struggled as we did under Spurrier. But that's on both men, and it's over. I still agree that it was a heckuva coaching job that year.

Nice read from King... Well deserved ... Suprising quote about MB but thats why I still like MB...

Hey you think you can change your future is now picture.... its old news...

Thanks

Hail

Hey didn't realize it would bother you so much. To tell you the truth, I don't even notice it anymore. However, I was planning on changing it so thank you very much for the reminder. :rolleyes:

Totally agree.

I would agree with Marty's statement, King's closing sentence is a cheap shot because it's in hindsight but I remember how at the end of that season nobody wanted to play us. Davis was chewing up yards on the ground and LaVar was maiming people on defense while Bailey and Smoot were each making plays and getting INT's.

If Marty and Snyder met each other half way we probably wouldn't have struggled as we did under Spurrier. But that's on both men, and it's over. I still agree that it was a heckuva coaching job that year.

I agree as well. I mean he won 8 games with Tony freakin Banks. Tony Banks! But I don't mind the cheap shot at Snyder. Dan deserves it. Firing Marty to bring in Spurrier set the franchise back 3 years.

Good catch and I just cringe when they announced the firing of Marty. He's a good coach with an excellent background and he should've been able to build on that 8-8 season.

I wish him well because Danny royally screwed that dude.

Why couldn't he play anything like Drew Brees DURING A GAME THIS SEASON, or the last 3 years for that matter? lol

That's what I was thinking when I heard about it on the radio this morning. It's good that Brunell has stepped back so gracefully and that he's helped the team in his backup role, but it would've been great to see it when he was a starter....

Gregg Williams, assistant head coach/defense, Washington. Williams orchestrated a great defensive gameplan to shock the Saints. His plan: never let Brees get comfortable, make sure Reggie Bush doesn't have any lanes to motor forward in the screen game, and beat the crap out of the Saints' receivers.

So....what was the gameplan of the other defensive coordinators that the Saints went up against...let Brees get as comfortable as he wants, give Bush several running lanes to choose from and pat the Saints receivers on the back whenever they make a good play??...lol :doh:

Archived