Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB Thread

TK

I think this is what it really comes down to...many people, especially most of the kind of people who would still be posting here at this point of the season, are simply unable or unwilling to accept the fact that the Washington Redskins are a pathetic loser of a franchise, and have been a pathetic loser of a franchise for about 15 years.

I see the fact that I'm still here at all as a sign of how much of a fan I am, not the other way around.

Martys gor his boys playing well. Feel free to get an LT jersey.

In addition, my confidence in Gibbs's eye for QBs is not strong...not based on what he did with Ramsey, but based on his blind allegiance to Mark Brunell. Anybody still think Brunell ever even being on this team makes sense?
At least call a spade a spade and stop rewriting history. Blind allegiance is if a guy doesn't produce. Brunell took us to the playoffs. Then, the rest of the team fell apart this year. Brunell was the scapegoat for fans, as can be seen by the fact that a new QB isn't solving all our woes.

Gibbs made the right decision on getting Brunell, but timing, bad play fro the rest of the team, and injuries just didn't work out for us overall.

And Ramsey just couldn't play good football when he was nervous. The minute a play was important, he would throw an interception.

If you consider a completion percentage barely over 50% and two games in a row where he single-handedly lost us the game with INTs to be "very solid play", I guess it's an indication of how low expectations have become

for this team.

No. I'm questioning, very strongly those who have the forsight to proclaim him "the future" of this team after 5 very average/poor games.

I'm not "rushing to judgment", it is those proclaiming him a sure thing that are.

1) He's gone 2-3, and has opened up our running game with the ability to go down the field deep. He's played solid, especially in the Tampa, Carolina and New Orleans games. To pin the Eagles and Tampa games on him is being incredibly harsh, and the Atlanta game wasn't completely his fault either. For someone who has followed this team for 25 years, you know that. This is the most potential we've seen in a quarterback in ages. Yes people are going overboard with expectation, but we're excited about something.

2-3) By claiming that we overpaid for him after 5 games, you ARE rushing to judgment. There's no ifs, ands or buts about it.

EDIT: TK - I know that I'm treading on thin ice with your new thread, but I'm doing my best to stay within the boundaries here.

If you think Jason Campbell is Peyton Manning, you are insane. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Jumping the gun and going way overbaord. Listen, I'm not saying we should CUT HIM. I'm just saying we shouldn't bet all our chips on him.

By the way, these are Peyton Manning's stats from his rookie year:

YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

1998 IND 16 326 575 56.7 3739 6.5 26 78 28 71.2

His second year, and all 8 years since, his completion percentage has been over 60%. His career stats:

Career 141 3059 4790 63.9 36817 7.7 266 86 139 93.7

1) I wasn't comparing him to Peyton. I was saying that even the best quarterback in the league right now struggled his first season.

2) Comparing 16 games to five is ridiculous.

3) What was the point of posting his career stats? To prove that people show improvement, thereby arguing on my side?

I repeat:

:jerk:

The defense definitely needs some upgrades. However, if you do not have a championship caliber QB, you will not win a championship. If we are not absolutely convinced by the end of the year that that is what Campbell is, and will be next year, we need to have another option.

You are wrong....you need a SOLID QB.....Ravens won with Dilfer and a great D.

1) I wasn't comparing him to Peyton. I was saying that even the best quarterback in the league right now struggled his first season.

2) Comparing 16 games to five is ridiculous.

3) What was the point of posting his career stats? To prove that people show improvement, thereby arguing on my side?

I repeat:

:jerk:

I hope when I'm 22 I'm as smart as you are.

1) Why compare him to Manning at all? You did.

2) Manning's stats in his first season were much better than Campbell's. Therefore your comparison is invalid.

3) Manning had close to 55% completion percentage in his first year. Every year since he's been in the 60s. His career average is 63%. Campbell so far is barely over 50%, and today he was 46.4%. That is not a starting NFL QB caliber stat. In fact, it is about as bad as you will ever see a QB in the NFL do-- rookie, second year or anything else.

This is the type of stuff I love hearing from a young QB, this is from his post game press conference:

"Some throws I can make before the receiver makes his break," he said. "Right now I'm still feeling them out. You can adjust to one or two receivers, but you have so many here, and they can run so fast, you have to get used to all of them. That's something I'm improving on.

"It's something you want to work on in the offseason--even if you don't see the receiver sometimes, just knowing he's going to be in that right spot is big. That comes from being in an offense for a while."

Archived